• April 26, 2024, 08:56:37 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Do you own a Zero with a CHAdeMO?  (Read 8003 times)

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Re: Do you own a Zero with a CHAdeMO?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2014, 03:29:26 AM »

With an eye to the future, especially as it pertains to electric motorcycles, it will be best for the charging components to be off the bike.  As more ChaDeMo stations are installed (and assuming Zero motorcycles are compatible) this will be the best way to get a fast charge. 

I've been charging with 5kW of of chargers on the back of my bike which adds about 40lbs of gear.  I much prefer to ride without all that stuff on the back.  But right now, that's what is necessary to get me where I want to go.

In the meantime, I think a 6.6kW charger that sits in the tank area is the best option to bridge this gap.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

ReeveSteves

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2014, 11:17:47 PM »

Consider this another vote for a 6kw charger to go in the Power Tank space. J1772s are getting really common around here and being able to top up the battery from flat in two hours adds options that the Power Tank just doesn't.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2014, 01:59:39 AM »

A 6 kW charge would add more charge in half an hour than the Power Tank holds.

If you plan to ride only slightly farther than the normal ZF11.4 bike can take you, then the Power Tank may be the way to go.

Otherwise, if you plan to stop and charge at any point along the trip, a faster charge rate will quickly become a better solution than adding more battery.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

biolife

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2014, 02:40:25 AM »

Consider this another vote for a 6kw charger to go in the Power Tank space. J1772s are getting really common around here and being able to top up the battery from flat in two hours adds options that the Power Tank just doesn't.

Same here, the quicker charger would be much more handy than added battery capacity. I'd gladly pay to have this in my SR.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2014, 11:56:59 AM »

+1

Especially if it's cheaper than the Power Tank!

MichaelJ

• Can haz e-cruiser?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2014, 03:48:58 AM »

I wonder if a Zero could charge from a AAA Roadside Emergency Charging truck.
Zero gasoline in the garage since May 2017

nigezero

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 05:34:35 AM »

I have ordered two 2500 watt chargers from Hollywood Electrics so with 6300 watts of charging capability I will be able to really take advantage of the J1772 network.

Ultranr; may I ask why you ordered the 2.5kW chargers instead of  replacing the whole lot with a single 5kW unit?? Seems that replacing the stock charger with a single larger one might make sense, but im sure you have a reason I haven't figured out yet.

They look pretty clever, do you know if its possible to easily limit the current to avoid tripping breakers on normal outlets (as opposed to J series?) This would allow you to max it at charging stations and then use it (limited) at home too.

I am not a highly technical person and wonder if these units are more suited to electronic hobbyists who get shit that i dont...:)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 06:44:35 AM »

nigezero,

You have more mounting options by using 2-2500 watt chargers instead of a single 5000 watt charger. At first I mounted both chargers on a plate bolted to the top box mount. It was alright but it is also a lot more weight than the top box mount was designed to handle. The 2-2500 watt chargers weigh about 30 pounds, the same as a single 5000 watt charger. The top box mount is only designed to handle about 22 pounds. I tried to keep the weight forward as much as possible including the use of a block of wood to help put some of the weight on the seat. I have since decided to mount the 2500 watt chargers in 37L Trax side cases. I like the looks a lot better and the chargers are protected in case of a tip-over. There is also room to store other charging accessories. The side cases have quick release mounts so I can put them on and take them off in seconds. To take the chargers off that had been bolted to the box box mount meant taking out 10 bolts and then 4 more bolts to get my top box put back on.

The Elcon chargers from Hollywood Electrics will come programmed to work with your Zero. You don't have to do anything other than plug them in. They charge slower on 110 volts than they will from a J1772 outlet. You could use a single 2500 charger on a 110 outlet that has a 30 amp breaker on it. I have found a few J1772 outlets that can't take this set-up but in that case you unplug the internal charger so you are still charging at 5000 watts.

Two days ago I plugged into a J1772 outlet with 29% charge remaining. 90 minutes later it was charged to 100%. Take a look at plugshare.com to see where you can charge from J1772 chargers. As an example North Hills Mall in Raleigh, NC is 66 miles away including a 35 mile section of US-1 which has a 70 MPH speed limit. Not a big deal to ride there, plug in to the J1772 outlet next to the REI, do some shopping, get something to eat or drink and the bike is fully charged for the ride home. Very nice.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 07:13:17 AM by ultrarnr »

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2014, 11:07:46 PM »

Nice 8)

your 37L Trax side cases are much better for installing as the GIVI but I guess for my "small" 2012 the Trax would be a bit oversized.

With your setup it will be a really good touring bike. thumbs up
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2014, 09:43:12 AM »

Those Elcons are IP67 rated with fans on them? Wow.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

RickSteeb

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 05:50:04 AM »

nigezero,

You have more mounting options by using 2-2500 watt chargers instead of a single 5000 watt charger. At first I mounted both chargers on a plate bolted to the top box mount. It was alright but it is also a lot more weight than the top box mount was designed to handle. The 2-2500 watt chargers weigh about 30 pounds, the same as a single 5000 watt charger.   ...

I just received my two 2.5kW Elcons & J1772 kit from Harlan, and will note that the chargers fit inside my 21 liter Givi side cases, barely.  I have decided to make mounting plates that the ElCons will bolt onto, and then each plate will slide onto the Givi bracket where a case would be.  I'm thinking I can travel with the chargers inside the Givi cases, and take them out of the Givi's and mount them on the bike for charging.  Then I'll have the two Givi cases as hand luggage to stow stuff while charging...

Here's the plate sketch with my initial dimensions... planning to fine-tune the dimensions as I go, when the two 10.5" x 19" relay-rack panels I just ordered arrive!
Also pics of the travel-ready Givi cases full of ElCons, and my new Level 2 charging station...   The pdf has the ElCons sketched in place on the plates.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 08:12:38 AM by RickSteeb »
Current fleet: (2012 DS Recalled), 2014 SR, 2013 FX

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 06:31:29 AM »

Those Elcons are IP67 rated with fans on them? Wow.

Their website states IP46.

http://www.elconchargers.com/catalog/item/7344653/7638094.htm
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 03:23:46 PM »

RickSteeb,

Congratulations are getting your L2 chargers! It really does open up a new dimension in where you can travel with your Zero.

A few things to note: PlugShare is the best web site to find charging stations. If you know where to look you will find a lot of photos of Benswing's Zero S and my Zero SR on PlugShare. Checking in is optional but you help out other EV owners when you do. Especially if you charge at a spot no one has checked into in a long time. Stay away from GE Wattstations as they will not work for you. They have some sort of proximity sensor in the J1772 plug. I have notified GE but doubt anything will ever get done. In many cases PlugShare will say it is a GE Wattstation but always look at the photos. Whole Foods is a good example as they use GE Wattstations at their stores. They would be a great spot for lunch but you won't be able to charge. There are some stations that will not allow you to use both Elcons and your internal charger. Just unplug the internal charger when you find yourself tripping the chargers breaker. If you haven't gotten them already go get cards for ChargePoint, Blink and any other charging networks in your area. In some areas NISSAN dealers are the only charging option. Call ahead and ask but so far all I have charged at have been great. I think most realize their L2 chargers are just another way to get customers into their dealerships.

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2014, 02:40:32 AM »

I wonder if SAE Combo will be supported as a future option. 

Shouldn't the differences be just be a matter of protocol support and connector?  Perhaps the J (AC) portion could be fed into the onboard charger.

Hansi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 07:18:35 AM »

MichaelJ,

"I'm very much looking forward to being able to tour with the Zero."

Me too.  Unfortunately, we aren't quite there yet. Ultrarnr's approach of mounting the external chargers in top boxes or in side cases is the solution that I see most often for those on the forefront of these efforts.

With respect to CHAdeMO, I continue to struggle with the best way to communicate compatibility. And because the installation is quite involved, the quantity sold has been few to non-fleet customers. IMHO, it works best for a commuter who has access to such a charging station at work and wants to utilize it every day.

Beyond this, I can say we have some ideas we are working on and we continue to read these posts carefully to make sure the solutions we provide address the uses cases you all are highlighting.

Regards,
aaronzeromoto

So the CHAdeMO fast charge socket kit is excluding installation, and the installation is costly? And they're also not compatible with all CHAdeMO chargers?
I'm seriously considering buying a 2015 SR, charging speed is my main concern though, I'd really like some faster charging options for longer trips.
Norway
Opel Ampera-e ordered 16.09.16, delivered 08.06.17    Tesla Model 3 reserved 01.04.16
2013 Nissan Leaf Tekna     2011 Mitsubishi i-MiEV
Pages: 1 [2] 3