• April 24, 2024, 01:49:41 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Distance to dealer  (Read 1070 times)

PL3

• View Profile
Distance to dealer
« on: May 06, 2014, 06:10:21 AM »

I am in southern Connecticut am ready to buy a 2014 zero s
The nearest dealer is in NYC
I am worried about the cost of moving the bike back and forth to the dealer for service
I have been quoted $ 500 round trip delivery
Should I buy the bike?

Burton

• View Profile
Re: Distance to dealer
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 06:38:27 AM »

Use the same money to buy a cheap trailer and hitch :) Problem solved.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 07:39:43 AM »

If you go the trailer route - what's your time worth?

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2014, 07:10:52 PM »

I wouldn't recommend a Zero to someone living that far from a dealer, but I wouldn't recommend NOT purchasing either.

The 2014 bikes should be more reliable than the 2013s, and the bluetooth connection does give Zero some capabilities for remote diagnosis. I would still not be surprised if the bike needed several trips to a dealer for service over its life. Consider accordingly.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

GNU

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 03:20:54 AM »

If you get the bluetooth connection to work in the first place.

I used to get it to work almost 50% of the time on my iPhone 4S but on my Samsung Note 3 it's down to 0%. It's hard just to get it to pair. Getting the app to connect to the bike seem impossible. :(
2014 Zero SR

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2014, 04:26:32 AM »

Of course there could be problems with the bike...any bike, but I have put 6600 miles on my 2013 Zero S with no maintenance. There was the one recall for new firmware though. My dealership is 4 miles away plus they just pick up my bike from my home and return it. If I were already set up with some way to haul a bike, I might do it, but if I had to buy a truck or rent something to haul it, I would think twice. If you do have to return the bike, it will likely be 2 round trips if you need to leave it.  That's a lot of driving and time. 

Spires

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2014, 02:36:15 AM »

I'm close to 150 miles round trip and 2 to 3hrs driving and a ferry ride from my nearest dealer, it's expensive, way out of my way, and if I have to leave the bike, that means a return trip. Plus I don't currently have a truck haha.. They are always pushing it too, and with all the failures on my bike so far, I wouldn't do it again. This will be my last bike until more dealers pop up or Zero relaxes their stand on sending simple parts to the customer to swap out. My 2011 DS turned into a dirtbike is a workhorse with no problems. Run the hell out of it, come home and plug it in. The 2014 FX, wouldn't know, still have not had it in the dirt after a couple of months. So think twice.. I ride to my spots of play whenever I have a sunny day or some time off. I'm not retired and have lots of time. I can go up to 6 weeks of harsh work where I cant ride at all. I need it to be reliable, when the time strikes!
Pages: [1]