• April 25, 2024, 09:51:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Tip for removing stuck HEX screw on the Zero parts  (Read 1879 times)

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Tip for removing stuck HEX screw on the Zero parts
« on: April 21, 2014, 08:29:27 AM »

Guys i tought that this will help you alot when you guys want to remove some of these M6 screw stuck due to the friction between  the top of the button head and the anodized aluminum of many parts like the Zero battery.

Personally i got this problem many times when dissassembling some of the 2009 to 2012 Zero battery and also on the bike frame and the Hez key just stripped the HEX screw... and the only way i tought was to cut a slit with the dremel and use a flat screwdriver... but my friend Donald had this brilliant idea to use the screwdriver and just hit it on the side to losen it wich work miraculously!

Doc
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:31:05 AM by Doctorbass »
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: Tip for removing stuck HEX screw on the Zero parts
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 01:15:14 PM »

Really Cool, I will try it next time. 8)

Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 03:15:40 PM »

Very nice!

I typically will use a straight hex to socket for tough stuff as I can give it more torque. This seems to be better though.

What is the best way to drop the battery in a 2013? I imagine if I dont put the bike on the side I would have to have a cherry picker or something to support the frame. :/
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:32:37 PM »

I have had a tough time removing hex-head flush mounted screws like the rear motor mounting fasteners on the 2012 Zero.  If I can grab the head of the screw, I can use the tapping method, a pair of vice grips on the head or a number of other devices to remove the fastener.  However, those flush mounted screws are tough if they get stuck.  It is easy to strip out the hex head and then you may have to start drilling and use a bolt extractor to remove the damaged screw - and then find a replacement the fits. (I had no luck searching the Zero parts fiche at my dealer's parts department for a replacement.  The screws didn't seem to be listed in the parts diagrams.)

My solution was to buy an expensive set of SK metric hex bits that fit perfectly into the hex slots, as any wiggling will strip the head.  But before trying to turn the screw, I first spray some lube like Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster on the fastener, then whack it a few times with a hammer and punch to loosen it up.  Then I finally carefully insert my bit, verifying that it is fully and securely placed into the hex depression and slowly turn the bit with a wrench making sure that it does not tilt while being turned.  This procedure will work to loosen the screws every time that I have tried it. 

Then what you do is to take the removed screw and go searching for a new one at a hardware store and coat the new fastener with anti-seize compound before installing it.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 09:30:35 PM »

Are you talking about Allen keys?
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 02:00:16 AM »

Are you talking about Allen keys?

Yes, but I use Allen bits rather than Allen "keys" as they allow the fasteners to be torqued.  I prefer to call them hex bits as I am not sure if "Allen" is a worldwide recognized term.

That also goes for "Star" and "Torx" bits.  I am not sure if those are the same or if they are a little different.  They look alike and my BMWs use a lot of them.  Some of these fasteners are relatively new on motorcycles and I am not quite up on all of the terminology.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

JohnSki

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 05:02:55 AM »

I had some one I work with that was an auto mechanic recommend a Craftsman 48 pc. SAE & Metric Thread Restorer Kit. Unlike a tap and die set it should roll the treads back instead of cutting them off. I tried this on several repairs and the nuts and bolts go back on as if you were using new hardware.Here is a link to the one I bought from Sears.http://www.sears.com/craftsman-48-pc-sae-metric-thread-restorer-kit/p-00942275000P#
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:06:01 AM by JohnSki »

GNU

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 10:44:36 PM »

I think allen keys have flat sides while hex keys are shaped like a star.
2014 Zero SR

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 11:00:36 PM »

Allan Keys and Hex Keys are the same, Torx keys are the star ones and can come with a hole in the center.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hex_key
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 11:47:27 PM by Burton »
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

GNU

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 12:10:43 AM »

Ah! That's it!

The torx with the pin in the middle I think are called safety torx. Really annoying little things :)
2014 Zero SR

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 09:08:26 AM »

Manufacturers use those when they don't want the user to open up the device.

Trikester
Pages: [1]