• March 29, 2024, 06:27:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zero Ignition Key  (Read 6794 times)

richifever

• View Profile
Zero Ignition Key
« on: April 07, 2014, 07:54:21 AM »

Not sure if anyone cares or already knew about what kind of key the zero key is.

I like to put my keys in my keyport slide (mykeyport.com) so they don't jangle around when I ride on my bike/scooter or in my pocket.

Locksmith help me identify the key today as the same one used on a Buell.

WindRider

• View Profile
Re: Zero Ignition Key
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 08:57:08 PM »

One more shared Buell/Zero part.   
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

amahoser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 11:37:35 PM »

The ignition switch that is on the Zero is a Zadi Q933, I believe. It is an industry standard key and ignition switch that many manufacturers use on their bikes. Triumph, Aprilia, BMW, Buell, MZ, Yamaha Honda all use the same lock set on many of their bikes.

Jose Soriano

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:09:04 AM »

Does your bike have clearance to turn that in the ignition?  I think the FX's bars would be in the way.  They're rather in the way of the factory key!  (Don't get me started on the battery lock...)
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:37:29 AM »

(Don't get me started on the battery lock...)
:'(
It's a shame!
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Blotman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:45:33 AM »

Does your bike have clearance to turn that in the ignition?  I think the FX's bars would be in the way.  They're rather in the way of the factory key!  (Don't get me started on the battery lock...)

The Zero S has the same problem, and it drives me nuts! I like to be able to clench my hand into fist when turning the key.
'13 Zero S ZF12.5, '15 Zero SR ZF12.5

richifever

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 02:41:48 AM »

You know, i'm not sure.  I did a "mock" start, but I won't know until I get the key duplicated, I'll let you know as soon as it's done.

ut-zero

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 03:04:56 AM »

Could a keyless system be installed on a Zero without creating any issues with charging, etc?
http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/motorcycles/rfid-keyless-ignition-security/dgd-kim-u/product

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 06:27:25 AM »

My zero has a twist/push start/stop button and doesn't need the bike on to charge. I just plug it in and it starts charging. Not sure if that is normal for 2013's or not. You would have to ask EC about it :)
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 05:01:12 PM »

It's not normal, Burton.

ElectricCowboy installed an RFID start system on his 2012 bike, I recall.

I don't see why this wouldn't work for the Zero.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

amahoser

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 08:58:53 AM »

I tried to read up on that keyless system. It seems it that it does not allow you to use the steering lock. Unless you use your key to lock it which defeats the purpose. So to me, that would be a deal breaker. Correct me if I am wrong on that point.

Also, does the Zero have an always on 12 volt source? I assume that the system would need this on order to function.

I have a keyless OEM system on my Kawaski Concours. I really do like it. It has a key that remains locked on the bike that you push and turn in order to unlock the steering.

Jose Soriano

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 09:43:35 PM »

This looks somewhat interesting as a concept:

https://sites.google.com/a/bratkey.com/bratkey/

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2014, 10:23:03 PM »

I tried to read up on that keyless system. It seems it that it does not allow you to use the steering lock.

Are there ANY keyless/alarm/etc systems that will lock/unlock the steering? I've never seen one.
Travis

amahoser

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 06:45:22 AM »

Not aftermarket.
But the keyless system on my Kawasaki Concours does. The method they use is to keep a key in the ignition lock. When the keyless fob is not nearby, the key will not turn or will not remove. When the keyless fob is present, you can turn the key to the on position or the position that allows the key to be removed in order to use it for the fuel tank or saddle bags.

Personally, I would not feel comfortable leaving any bike out without a functional steering lock. It's probably a false sense of security.... But still...

Jose Soriano

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 09:11:29 AM »

I am with you amahoser. I plan on putting my ignition back on just so I have the ignition lock. I then plan on splitting off my current ignition (aka button) inline with the wires but in a hidden place so I can have the best of both worlds.

As for the wiring not being normal I assume the sevcon controller detects when the ignition is closed and thus turns on? I know of two pins on my sevcon connector which are bridged but I don't have another one to compare to. Pins 2 to 24 are bridged on my controller. I will ask EC what he had to do for this to happen.
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9
Pages: [1] 2