• April 23, 2024, 02:25:50 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Put in my order for an SR  (Read 4295 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Put in my order for an SR
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2014, 12:46:46 AM »

The XU obviously handles my commute perfectly, but more than one or two errands and I'm coasting home. I'm in Olympia, and as far as I can tell have the only Zero in town. I will be using the SR to handle the local day trips, trips to Tacoma, Centralia, and when I want to do an overnight or full day trip to Seattle. For longer touring I have a gas BMW with cases.

[...]

Side note: has anyone in the Seattle area used the CHAdeMO chargers that are part of the Electric Highway with a Zero? I don't want to drop the money on that option if it is useless. I do hope someone comes up with a genuine Level 2 charger that fits the Power Tank space as I believe that would be a really good option for these bikes. The battery is getting to be a very good size, it's just the time to refill that produces anxiety. In many ways the 2011 XU was perfect for that as it would do a bulk charge in just over an hour, an easy amount for a single stop. Charging speed is actually what took the FX out of consideration for me, since it charges at half the speed of the S/SR in addition to the shorter range.

Welcome! You should add yourself to the map.

Reference for the electric highway: West Coast Green Highway

I have not used CHAdeMO or know anyone who has yet. I think there is a concern about CHAdeMO station compatibility, whether the Zero DC input voltage will work with most stations (in the US, anyway). Clicking through the WA state map doesn't reveal an obvious concern, but it'd be great to have a definitive answer. My Zero DS is really well fitted-out now, and a CHAdeMO charger might make the difference in whether I can perform good day trips.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 01:07:44 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2014, 01:07:14 AM »

Reference for the electric highway: West Coast Green Highway

I have not used CHAdeMO or know anyone who has yet. I think there is a concern about CHAdeMO station compatibility, whether the Zero DC input voltage will work with most stations (in the US, anyway). Clicking through the WA state map doesn't reveal an obvious concern, but it'd be great to have a definitive answer. My Zero DS is really well fitted-out now, and a CHAdeMO charger might make the difference in whether I can perform good day trips.

I spoke to soon; really, I forgot what I had already researched. The electric highway consists of DC J1772 charging stations by AeroVironment which will not benefit charge time without an extra charger.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2014, 01:20:56 AM »

The fast chargers are CHAdeMO, and support 50-500V 120A. These should THEORETICALLY be compatible with the Zero CHAdeMO kit.

Reference:
http://www.westcoastgreenhighway.com/pdfs/DCfastchargeequipment.pdf
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

biolife

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2014, 04:32:48 AM »

By the way, just heard back today from the dealer that the bike is still stuck in customs. They have been following up with Zero on it, but the only information Zero has provided so far is that the bike (probably with a shipment of some other bikes from Zero) is at the border waiting to clear customs into Canada.

The bike was set to leave Zero's warehouse on April 16th, and has been held up at customs since at least April 23rd. Not sure what's going on, or why it's getting delayed so much. Hopefully Zero isn't smuggling illegal substances in the storage compartment... ;)
Anyway, I hope things get sorted out soon. The border is only like half an hour away, so maybe I'll just head down there, snag the bike and head south. :P

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2014, 01:24:51 AM »

Just saw your post in another thread, so you should receive your bike in the next weeks? Or you still don't know when?

That may seems strange but I'm excited that you will receive your bike, I don't know why  :o
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

biolife

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2014, 05:50:06 AM »

Just saw your post in another thread, so you should receive your bike in the next weeks? Or you still don't know when?

That may seems strange but I'm excited that you will receive your bike, I don't know why  :o

Here's the latest from the dealer:

Nothing as of yet.  Not just the SR, all my sold models are being held in the void right now!
Rather frustrating. I will be in touch very soon though.

My timeline in the other thread is just an estimation... one that I really hope isn't optimistic! :)

It's a roller coaster of emotion! At this point I'm pretty convinced that the customs agents are just taking a joyride on my new SR. I don't blame them - I'd do the same thing!

bigd

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2014, 06:07:14 AM »

"At this point I'm pretty convinced that the customs agents are just taking a joyride on my new SR. I don't blame them - I'd do the same thing!" Bio, Are you encouraging someone else to illegally  "borrow" someone's  motorcycle without their consent so that they can ride it for free? I feel like we should be a bit more supportive of each other, especially guys who are trying to spread awareness about electric vehicles as an alternative form of transportation. OK EVERYONE I am JOKING as I know that's not the case, but I do hope you and a few more see the irony of this.
Honda 1300VTX

ReeveSteves

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2014, 12:00:17 PM »

Picked it up today. Mixed traffic meant I couldn't really open it up. The SR is really the S, just more. The last ten percent of range has lots of miles hidden in it, but the performance really is dead at that point. I can tell I'm going yo have fun with this bike. If you're thinking S, just do the SR.

biolife

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2014, 01:22:36 PM »

Today was the day - I got the call from the dealer confirming the bike had arrived and was ready to go. Went there, picked it up, and drove it for 130km before finally returning home.

Overall a great purchase. Will post a full review in the next few days!

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2014, 06:21:25 PM »

Happy for you!
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 06:04:10 AM »

Congrats!  Looking forward to reading about your experience and maybe seeing some videos!
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549
Pages: 1 2 [3]