• April 25, 2024, 10:47:01 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Put in my order for an SR  (Read 4296 times)

biolife

• View Profile
Put in my order for an SR
« on: April 03, 2014, 02:38:48 AM »

Hi all,

I've been lurking around this forum for a couple of months now and decided to finally join :)

I live in Vancouver, Canada and have been riding a 50cc scooter for the past year and a half. I used to commute via subway/bus, but was won over to the world of two wheels after a few rides to work on the scooter. After about a year on the scooter, I started looking for something with a bit more pep. One of my brothers had looked into electric bikes a few years ago but found they were out of his price range, so as I began my search for 250cc gas bikes he turned me onto the idea of an electric bike.

To be honest, I had no idea such a thing existed. I'd seen the slow electric scooters that top out at 30km/h but had never heard of full speed (and size) electric bikes that could hold their own. Turns out I wasn't the only one!

Anyway, after doing more research on electric bikes, I found myself more and more drawn to the idea of a quiet bike with instant torque and no clutch that requires virtually no maintenance and has really low operating costs. There was a bit of sticker shock, as the 250cc bikes I had been looking at were 3k or so on Craigslist, but in the end the electric option was too cool to pass up. I'm a sucker for tech.

So 5 weeks ago I put in my order for a Zero SR. The dealer is hoping for delivery in late April.

I'm not sure if there are any other SR owners in Canada, so I may be the first, but it'll be good to join the ranks of electric motorcycle riders. Oh, and as the weather warms up here and the rain dies down, I'm looking forward to riding (relatively) silently past my fellow gas motorcycle riders.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
Re: Put in my order for an SR
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 02:48:20 AM »

Welcome to the club!  Looking forward to hearing about your adventures when your new rocketship...er... motorcycle arrives.   :)
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 03:40:43 AM »

Wow. Riding a 50cc scooter to looking at 250cc gas bikes to SR purchase.. that's quite a leap!

If the SR is like the 2013 S I rode, it's very quiet but not silent from the saddle. if you're just putting around, then it will be virtually silent from 10-15 feet away.

If you're not putting around, then it makes a pretty cool sound..

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 03:41:56 AM »

Biolife would you mind letting me know what your purchase price and onroad drive away price is?
Zero Australia want $25,490 drive away for SR, just like to compare with canada as our dollars are about same exchange rate with USA.  au$1 = cd$1.02

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 03:42:19 AM »

Be careful.  50cc to an SR is a hell of jump.  But then I went from a 125cc 4 stroke to a Kawasaki ZX6R so if you are sensible its fine.   Just don't go whacking the throttle open on cold tyres!

Welcome to the forum.  You will love riding electric.

biolife

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2014, 04:32:04 AM »

Thanks, I am definitely looking forward to the bike. I know that a 50cc scooter and a sportbike share little in common except that they both have two wheels, so I made sure to get the proper training and just finished a 26 hour motorcycle safety course. I had the chance to ride a few different bikes, ranging from 125cc to 500cc (a CB500). Hopping on the 500cc bike was quite a bit different from what I have been used to on two wheels, and I know the SR will easily blow it out of the water, but the experience of a faster (but still slower) bike has been very helpful at getting me more accustomed to motorcycle speeds.

Twisting the throttle hard and pulling away is fun, but being able to do so without the deafening noise that comes from some bikes is a huge plus for me. As we were riding in groups for the course, I felt bad riding through quiet neighbourhoods with a bike that can be heard from several blocks away.

I'm looking forward to giving friends rides around the city and letting them really experience the joy of electric. Oh, and the faces on my friends with gas bikes once they twist the throttle and see what it can really do.

@protomech - I've watched that video more times than I care to admit. It's part of my whole routine when showing the bike off to friends ;)

@firepower - Sure, the total cost with taxes, PDI, etc. was CAD $20,800. This is for the 11.4 model. Everything always costs a lot more in Australia, unfortunately!

@NoiseBoy - Haha, definitely. I'll keep my wits about me as I get used to the bike. The lack of a clutch ought to make it a lot easier to focus on riding properly instead of having to fiddle with gears around corners, at lights, down hills, etc. Anyway, here's to hoping it comes soon!

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2014, 07:18:21 AM »

Hello biolife, welcome to the party! Zero S 2013 in Quebec here and scooter owner 20 years ago. It's definitely a big jump going from that to a zero SR!!! You should however get it easily, the Zero S family having a quick learning curve. Even in the snow it is easy to control, at low speed of course. I can tell you because I used to drive on ice or snow with my scooter, it was pretty hard and the zero is easier, at least at low speed.

I was on my third ride of the year today, always satisfactory to run without using gas! But now the bike is dirty a lot due to the snow melting on the pavement.

Looking for your first ride impression.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2014, 09:38:25 PM »

Congrats biolife!  I can't wait to hear your impression going from a 50cc scooter to something that has over two thousand percent more torque, lol ;)

Be careful! I hope to visit Vancouver one day and join you for a ride!

Terry
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2014, 10:46:45 PM »

Don't forget that your SR will have really crappy range at first until you get your right wrist under control!  :)  It isn't very easy to do!

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 02:28:33 AM »

Be careful.  50cc to an SR is a hell of jump.  But then I went from a 125cc 4 stroke to a Kawasaki ZX6R so if you are sensible its fine.   Just don't go whacking the throttle open on cold tyres!

Welcome to the forum.  You will love riding electric.

Leave it in ECO mode you'll be fine  ;D

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 02:32:21 AM »

Biolife would you mind letting me know what your purchase price and onroad drive away price is?
Zero Australia want $25,490 drive away for SR, just like to compare with canada as our dollars are about same exchange rate with USA.  au$1 = cd$1.02

Wow that price pretty high.  Not to brag but in the US I got mine for 17000 out the door.  For about $26K AU I would fly to the US disassemble the bike and put it in a carry on. :o.  Just kidding

biolife

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 03:18:35 AM »

Hello biolife, welcome to the party! Zero S 2013 in Quebec here and scooter owner 20 years ago.
I was on my third ride of the year today, always satisfactory to run without using gas! But now the bike is dirty a lot due to the snow melting on the pavement.

Thanks for the welcome! I guess Quebec's riding season is a little shorter than Vancouver's ;) Glad to hear it's clearing up enough to pull the bike out of storage and let it loose again!

Congrats biolife!  I can't wait to hear your impression going from a 50cc scooter to something that has over two thousand percent more torque, lol ;)

Be careful! I hope to visit Vancouver one day and join you for a ride!

Terry

Thanks! I'll be sure to post a review of my own, and perhaps even a few videos here and there to provide a bit more info for inquiring minds.

Sounds like a plan! :)

Don't forget that your SR will have really crappy range at first until you get your right wrist under control!  :)  It isn't very easy to do!

Haha, good advice. By the way, thanks for posting your review. Reviews (real ones from actual riders) on the SR are few and far between, and it was your review in particular that made me decide on the SR. I'm sure I won't regret it!

cloroxbb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 11:39:23 PM »

Biolife,

I am incredibly jealous of you right now :) Any of the Zero Models were out of my pricerange, so I got a gas bike. I really want an SR. Congrats on the purchase, Im sure you will love it. Can't wait to read your review!
'16 Zero S 9.8

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2014, 02:06:40 AM »

cloroxbb I assume then your new ICE was under $3895 ?

http://www.cycletrader.com/Zero-Motorcycles-For-Sale----Zero-Motorcycles-Motorcycles/search-results?type=356953&make=Zero+Motorcycles|705321056&modelkeyword=1&sort=price:asc&newsort=1

You did say any ^_^
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

cloroxbb

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2014, 02:40:53 AM »

cloroxbb I assume then your new ICE was under $3895 ?

http://www.cycletrader.com/Zero-Motorcycles-For-Sale----Zero-Motorcycles-Motorcycles/search-results?type=356953&make=Zero+Motorcycles|705321056&modelkeyword=1&sort=price:asc&newsort=1

You did say any ^_^

Haha, nice. If I were to get a Zero, it would be at least a '13.
'16 Zero S 9.8
Pages: [1] 2 3