• April 23, 2024, 03:38:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Zero MX 2010 rear shock  (Read 3612 times)

sintesi

• View Profile
Zero MX 2010 rear shock
« on: April 01, 2014, 07:11:04 PM »

Hi all, a few months ago I bough a second hand Zero MX 2010. It's been running fine so far, but I'm very limited by the rear shock.
If I take a jump at some speed the rear end bottoms out very quickly and harsh, while the frontend copes easily. Even if I shift my weight way forward.

I've taken a look at the rear shock and it seems like it's not original. According to the info I've found this model should use a fastace rear shock, but I have a manitou metel with a 600lb spring, a mountainbike part. I know the Zero MX uses more bike parts, like the brakes, and that's fine. But the shock is really not sufficient, and I'm looking for a replacement.

I've taken some measurements of the shock and it has a length of 240mm between centers of the eyes. First of all I'd really like to know if this is the correct length, as I think this is not the original shock. Also, the rear end of the bike (unloaded) seems lower than it is on most pictures.
When looking for a replacement it also seems to be a size you can't easily find. Most shocks are at least 20mm longer.

Secondly, is there anyone who has experience with running a larger shock, and if so what size? A larger shock is much easier to find, but I'd rather not spend a lot of money just to experiment.
Any advice would be very much appreciated!

zap mc

• View Profile
Re: Zero MX 2010 rear shock
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 02:32:12 PM »

I don't think it is the original shock
The fast ace is about 250mm
At a ratio of 2.85:1 that would drop the rear just over an inch as you describe
Maybe try a 260mm pit bike shock
What did you do in the end?

sintesi

• View Profile
Re: Zero MX 2010 rear shock
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 02:54:11 PM »

I did look into pitbike spring, but could not find a suitable size, or when I did they had no proper adjustment options.

I ended up buying a manitou revox pro shock, originally intended for mountainbike use. It was a bit of a gamble, but it works great. It copes with big jumps perfectly and has 6 adjustment options so I've been able to tune just how I like it. After about half a year of hard riding it's still as new.
Pages: [1]