• April 25, 2024, 04:00:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Rear wheel fender  (Read 6143 times)

yhafting

• View Profile
Re: Rear wheel fender
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2016, 02:08:30 AM »

Ooh that looks nice. Are the new mountings sturdier?
Thanks, i would say about the equally sturdy as the previous.  :)
They are simpler and smaller and much easier to detach/attach, but the previous were mostly aluminium, tightly clamped to the swing arm. These are 5mm thick ABS plastic with a dense cross hatch pattern internally. They are both printed lying sideways, so that the plastic threads are continous from top to bottom.

If i needed much stiffer, i guess it could be soaked in epoxy and wrapped in carbon fibre. However it seems sturdy enough, and i prefer that it breaks gracefully rather than violently if something got caught in it. The main thing is that they hold the fender up while being reasonably stiff- the shape of the fender provides stability once held up on both sides.

All i need now is to add some paint, but that may take a while due to the cold weather...

To WoadRaider- This "Harley" fender serves a purpose the Zero rainguard does not provide; it protects the belt by stopping small pebbles from flying from the rear wheel into the motor sprocket. The protection it provides for the rider is only a bonus to me- and then i also bought it before the Zero one came to market.

If you buy the fender i have on ebay for $12-15 and own a 3D-printer, the total price should be within the range of the Zero one. (I would reccommend ABS or nylon rather than PLA though- since PLA has a tendency to warp in the sun).   

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2016, 03:54:49 PM »

Here is the final version.
The zip file containing the struts STL files (using mm as format), if anyone want to use them (at their own risk).

The rings are needed to secure the right side, and i used one as a spacer on the left side. They are made to fit outside the rear axle mount on the right side- using the same diameter as the right strut. If using FDM printing i would reccomend ABS and carefully selecting orientation to gain maximum strength for the struts (laying sideways). I have used 0.2mm as tolerance (that is .4 in total for diameters). This may be slightly tight with the screws, depending on layer thickness.

The most difficult part in the whole process is aligning the fender perfectly with the rear wheel hugger- since there are no center guide. Using more than two bolts through the hugger may give slightly more clearance between the tire and the fender. On my bike the rear hugger has greater distance between the right side of the wheel than the left side, but the initial positioning i made has worked well for me all this season.   

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2016, 06:00:34 AM »

Nice! I got to get to install mine... I'm being lazy. Can you remind me what you use and the diameter to secure it inside the axel? I was thinking of buying a pair of expanding anchors from the hardware store. And they sell aluminum strips for a couple of bucks each, that I think can easily be shaped into something similar to your printed ABS, so I'll probably go for that method or a metal round rod...
'15 Zero SR

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2016, 03:27:19 AM »

Nice! I got to get to install mine... I'm being lazy. Can you remind me what you use and the diameter to secure it inside the axel? I was thinking of buying a pair of expanding anchors from the hardware store. And they sell aluminum strips for a couple of bucks each, that I think can easily be shaped into something similar to your printed ABS, so I'll probably go for that method or a metal round rod...

I'm sorry but i forgot, and i didn't make a note on paper- it is all in the STL file (-.4 on the diameter), but measuring probably is/was faster.
Did your installation go well?  :)

Kocho

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2016, 03:32:42 AM »

I'm still procrastinating... Too may other things to do first...

I'm sorry but i forgot, and i didn't make a note on paper- it is all in the STL file (-.4 on the diameter), but measuring probably is/was faster.
Did your installation go well?  :)
'15 Zero SR

togo

• It's like flying. But with more traction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2017, 12:03:57 PM »

Actually, it was another member on another thread, and possibly even in the tech section who found it.  But it's ebay, and bizarely, it was ebay.uk, even though it was mailed from China.  I'll try and find it.

Edit: I guess it was Hong Kong.  Anyway, just go on ebay.co.uk and search Harley Rear Fender.  There's a ton of them, all the same as I've got.

Like this kind?  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Black-Mudguard-Fender-For-Harley-Sportster-Solo-Bobber-Chopper-Cafe-RacerEV/272851293625
our knowledge about Zeros collects here: https://zeromanual.com/

yhafting

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2018, 12:53:56 AM »

Since i got new 150/70 tires, the fender felt a little close to the wheel, thus i mounted the fender on the outside of the OEM rear wheel hugger.
I think it looks better this way. I used duct tape on the inside to avoid gravel piling up at the junction between the fender and the hugger. (Having the fender on the inside that wont be an issue, but it seems the duct tape sits very well on both surfaces, so i feel confident that it will do the job. I also believe using just one hole in the mudguard is more than good enough as long as the struts are stable- which i believe the current design is. The duct tape on the top is for plugging the original mounting hole.

If anyone want to attempt the same, it is possible to use the existing holes in the harley fender and just drill one hole in the rear wheel hugger.

EDIT: I found out that having the end of the fender this far back caused the bike to hit the fender when the rear shock absorber was fully compressed (riding with passenger). This broke my struts, which was OK, and i have now sawed off the end to give the bike more space for traveling when bouncing.

For anyone attempting similar modifications- pay attention to the placement of the rear fender end. There is a certain "sweet spot" where it has more space, but don't count to much on it. Modifying the fender so that it doesn't stick to far out at the end is probably the best option in any case. 

Links to the Harley mudguard- it comes with many names and price tags:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-Protector-UK-Guard-Protector-Rear-Mudguard-Fender-for-Harley-Sportster/112995555345?hash=item1a4f0f5811:g:ki0AAOSwwE5WatMq&vxp=mtr
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Black-Rear-Mudguard-Fender-For-Harley-Sportster-Solo-Bobber-Chopper-Cafe-Racer/32827741416.html
https://www.ebay.com/p/Black-Motorcycle-Rear-Mudguard-Fender-Accessory-Cafe-Racer-for-Harley-Sportster/16002700949?iid=232365568327&_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D50998%26meid%3D16b99b492d124e0dbbbb8ca86f48817a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D112995555345%26itm%3D232365568327&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
« Last Edit: June 10, 2018, 01:45:05 PM by yhafting »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]