• May 08, 2024, 10:03:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Quantya Tuning | French Electric Motorcycle Forum  (Read 4527 times)

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Quantya Tuning | French Electric Motorcycle Forum
« on: May 08, 2009, 06:57:55 PM »

Found an electric motorcycle forum in French.  Put it through google translate. 

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Felectricbike.forums-actifs.com%2Fquantya-f4%2Fla-quantya-strada-de-bounty-t51.htm&sl=fr&tl=en&history_state0=

Original Link:
http://electricbike.forums-actifs.com/quantya-f4/la-quantya-strada-de-bounty-t51.htm

Some highlights of what I can translate:
- Possibly a 72 volt Quantya due next year.

Sounds like these guys are doing some tuning of power delivery to their Quantyas...
First roll with the new pulley, I change the torque curve (progressive instead of linear) and put the power to 85%. .
http://72.14.205.132/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&sl=fr&tl=en&u=http://electricbike.forums-actifs.com/quantya-f4/la-quantya-strada-de-bounty-t51-15.htm&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&usg=ALkJrhinq9RP-4v5kScR9zeLiTF8Y56pAg#224

Also sounds like they feel temperature is affecting battery performance.  Cold weather seems to cause the battery to show it is low until it warms up.  Sounds like they are talking -5 degrees C.

Wish I could read and write French.  Hope I did not get any of this wrong through google translate.

Tried to join and chat but registration looks to be disabled.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 07:03:31 PM by skadamo »

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Quantya Tuning | French Electric Motorcycle Forum
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 11:22:38 PM »

On the Dirt Rider Forum Quantya thread I asked...

3) Can the rider tune power delivery on the Quantya?  I translated a french electric motorcycle forum were owners mentioned they are doing just that.  If so, is more information availiable on parameters? 

Quote from: dave_at_quantya
Answer:
At this time in the US we are not allowing the customers to adjust the bikes! By doing so they will void our warranty for the battery and motor!  We offer the ability to have us set the bike up for the customers riding style and ability.

Thanks! 
Thank you,
David Lodermeier

www.quantya.us

bounty

• View Profile
    • ArsFabula
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 02:50:18 PM »

Hi there...

I'm the original author of the post in the french forum  ;D I'll gladly translate and answer to your questions ;-)

I live in Switzerland (home of Quantya). I'm an avid enduro rider (have a KTM EXC 300) and to a bit of MX and some desert riding in Africa.

I acquired the Quantya a year ago, mosty ride it to work, but have done some races to see how far I could go with it. So far I've done a couple of MX races (15 minutes races), a hill climbing race (never got to the top  :'( ) and an endurance race (more of a cross-country type of event) and I'll be doing another hill climbing race end of june...

VoilĂ  for the presentations  :)
++
Greg

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 02:42:00 AM »

Hey bounty, thanks a lot for joining and your offer to help!  300exc, never rode one but I hear they are great bikes.  Sounds like you have done some great trips.  I prefer the dirt over the street myself.

So, did I translate correctly that you are changing the power delivery on the Quantya?  Are you doing this mechanically through the throttle tube cam or electronically?

Do you have access to electronically alter power delivery?

Over 1 year of ownership is there anything you learned that you are not reading about in articles about the Quantya?

Thanks again for posting!!

bounty

• View Profile
    • ArsFabula
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 07:11:32 PM »

Yep, you got the translation right  ;)

For the 72v model, seems the project is on the backburner...

As for tunning the power delivery, it's done thru the Alltrax controller, however, this VOIDS your Warranty ! My Warranty was void within the hour I received my bike  ;D

The controller has an RS232 plug that is behind a seal. You need to remove the seal to access the plug.
Alltrax publishes a software to be able to change some parameters.
http://www.alltraxinc.com/Products_ControllerPro.html

The most noticeable ones are "Max current" and "Throttle response". For registration reasons, the Quantya strada is provided with the max current set at 65% (which corresponds to 8kw).  According to my dealer (and from what I've experience so far) you can bump it up to 85% but you will have less range. Anything above 85% might damage some components especially if ridding hard.

The throttle response is a curve of how the power is delivered.  the Linear curve gives a direct response but might be a bit brutal in some situations. the Progressive curve is more soft and usable for day to day activity.

I've also got a new pulley (the "sprocket" on the motor) that is larger and heavier than the original one. Makes for a smoother ride.

For the last question, it's a tough one, can't remember every thing, I started setting up a wiki to document a bit everything, but I got spammed so I had to bring it down.

One thing that is difficult to find is DOT approved tires that are thin enough for the Quantya.
++
Greg

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2009, 08:20:52 PM »

Wow, that is great information, thanks! Couldn't resist tinkering huh? :)

Have you been running 85%?

Do you think any specific part of the bike is taking excessive strain with higher setting?

picasso

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 02:48:29 AM »

I would have to guess the limiting factor is motor heat and batt.

bounty

• View Profile
    • ArsFabula
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 12:11:27 PM »

I would have to guess the limiting factor is motor heat and batt.

Yep , when you do some calculations the amps coming out of the battery is just huge.

I generally run on 65%-Progressive when commuting and 85%-Linear when racing. The motor has a heat protection and will cut off in case of excessive heat. This has been my case when doing the hill climbing race. Not very fast (so no cooling), but lots of amps to get me up there...
++
Greg
Pages: [1]