• April 26, 2024, 05:17:07 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: My motor has eaten itself.  (Read 1621 times)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
My motor has eaten itself.
« on: March 15, 2014, 03:13:05 AM »

Sad news. The past couple of days my 2012 S ZF9 has been making some unpleasant clunking noises and i was feeling a light kicking through the pegs with each noise..  It continued to get worse until on the way home today it was making the most horrendous sounds I have ever heard from a machine.  Going on my basic troubleshooting skills it seems the main motor bearing has collapsed.  As it did for Terry on his cross country attempt.  Amazingly though the bike got me home, albeit as a lower speed than usual (but not dangerously slow, it kept up with traffic i just limited acceleration as high torque seemed to cause the worst noises).

I'm sure I will get a new motor under warranty but with my dealer away for the week it couldn't have come at a worse time.  The Zero is my only transport so I guess I will have to hire a car or something at great expense.

Although I've had a couple of problems, a busted throttle pot being the first, the bike has always got me home.  It seems to struggle on until it finally gives up on my driveway or as it limps into the garage.  I can't say I have ever felt sorry for a bike before until now!  With ICE's that have broken down, usually in the middle of a dual carriageway, I have wanted to give them a good kicking.  The Zero seems more in need of a hug.  I hope it can be fixed quickly as I miss riding it already.

P.s. Mileage is 7500 miles.  I ride in all weather every day which probably doesn't help.

trikester

• View Profile
Re: My motor has eaten itself.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 08:04:07 PM »

Ah  :'( Hugs for your Zero  :'( May she be perky again soon  :)

Trikester

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 09:32:27 PM »

Hopefully bearings will fix it and it did not scrape down more vital parts of the motor.....  I hope you have close access to a good Zero dealer to help you recover quickly.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 03:17:40 AM »

My recollection is that when Terri's original motor blew up due to the bearings failing, he had to replace the entire motor and that work on his bike was performed at the factory (because he was nearby).  I don' think the motor is repairable, or if it is, I haven't heard of anyone doing it.  If your bike is still under warranty, I think Zero will just give you a new motor.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 05:52:25 AM »

That is what I have been told Richard.  Sounds like as soon as a bust motor is suspected they ship one out. If they are serviceable it probably has to go back to the manufacturer.

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 04:19:18 PM »

Sad news. The past couple of days my 2012 S ZF9 has been making some unpleasant clunking noises and i was feeling a light kicking through the pegs with each noise..  It continued to get worse until on the way home today it was making the most horrendous sounds I have ever heard from a machine.  Going on my basic troubleshooting skills it seems the main motor bearing has collapsed.  As it did for Terry on his cross country attempt. 

P.s. Mileage is 7500 miles.  I ride in all weather every day which probably doesn't help.

Sorry to hear this.  I was able to dissect my motor and the noise I heard turned out not to be the bearing, but the fiber composite cooling fan in the back that had come loose.  On my trip I had a tire burst a belt from being way too overloaded (look at my pictures on FB to see the huge bulge in the tire.)  But late at night there was no where to replace it and I had to go.  Normally no one would ride in these conditions.  After 500 or so miles the vibration was so intense it vibrated one of my phase leads that was weakened loose at the motor.  One of my upgraded phase leads for my size 6 controller literally broke at the crimped terminal end.  The copper inside I could see was green and had disintegrated from corrosion.  The heat shrink had been cut due to not being careful when I was routing the oversized double zero gauge cables 14 months prior, allowing water in the terminal end.  I was surprised corrosion could literally turn copper into a brittle dust like powder like that.  (keep dissimilar metals that have exposure to high voltages away from water!) With 1 of the 3 phase leads disconnected, the motor vibrated so intensely the cooling fan clip popped off.  That is what made the noise that sounded like a Harley.

The other time I had a motor issue is when my sprocket bolt backed out, (due to my improper use of Loctite or lack there of should I say) and the bolt contacted the swingarm nut.  As soon as this contact occurred it spun out more putting pressure on the motor shaft also popping off the cooling fan.  That time the cooling fan exploded into shards of composite fiber all into the charger skid plate.

Both of these issues would not have happened if I hadn't modified the motorcycle.  So the stock motor is very robust. 

However not to say there couldn't be a bearing issue as you say, but both times I was quick to assume bearing problems, it turned out to be something else that was my fault.  Being twice as heavy as the bike was designed for, and well over 50,000 miles (You might say 100,000 miles of work moving the weight of a stock motorcycle) I am very impressed by how strong they are.  Without my screw-ups, there's a good chance I could be on the original motor still. 

I'm waiting to see one of you guys do this.  Please put 100,000 miles on a stock motorcycle to show it can be done.  I realize that might take 2 years or so of riding, but it will happen soon I'm sure.

NoiseBoy, let me know your status on this.  I'm sure Zero will have your dealer just replace the motor, even if its a simple fix like the fan.

That's the beauty of the new design of the motors in the 2013 and 2014.  They don't even have a cooling fan and run more efficient.  That new motor is so impressive.  How cool would it be if one day you could perhaps for a premium price, upgrade and install that new design motor into a 2012 Zero???  I know, highly unlikely. :(  But there's no harm in wishful thinking right? I'm keeping my fingers crossed. ;)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 04:21:25 PM by offthegrid »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:59:18 PM »

I was wondering if Zero would ever offer a motor upgrade path from <2013 bikes to the new motor.   

I doubt it.   The drive is on the other side, the new motor is larger diameter and I don't think it would fit, and the new bodies and components on the 2013+ bikes are so much better that it makes more financial sense to just sell and upgrade for both the owner and Zero.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 12:23:06 AM »

UPDATE:

I have the bike back.  Turns out it wasn't the motor at all.  Apparently the rear sprocket was slightly oval, so as the wheel rotated the belt was being loosened and over-tightened over and over.  Eventually it gave up and started ripping teeth from the belt.  As the bald part of the belt went over the front sprocket it would just spin until momentum carried to the next intact teeth which is what caused the clunking and horrible noises.

Its odd because I just regularly and noticed the belt didnt seem to hold tension for very long, this problem could have been there since new or something may have caused it more recently.  I checked the belt multiple times (so did the dealer) when the noise started so it must have been pure chance that the damaged section was always wrapped around a sprocket so I didn't see it.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 07:23:10 AM »

Surprising! I hope zero will improve their qc for this gear after this event, it should be easy to check.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2014, 08:16:25 AM »

Amazing that a CNC machined part would be out of round. It must have been an error in writing the program which would mean that a large number of parts could be made that way.

Trikester
Pages: [1]