• April 23, 2024, 11:31:09 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Another first impression of the SR.  (Read 1713 times)

ultrarnr

• View Profile
Another first impression of the SR.
« on: February 27, 2014, 02:53:22 AM »

On Saturday I picked up my 2014 Zero SR. Right now I have 425 miles on the odometer.

Initial perceptions: Fast! Zero claims 0-60 in 3.3 seconds and after several launches from traffic lights I don’t doubt that at all. No problems riding in traffic at 70-80 MPH either. Power delivery is smooth and fast. The bike is fun!

Speedometer: Probably one of the most accurate in the motorcycle business. I rode with a GPS and the speedometer was generally within 1 MPH of the GPS.

Max speed: Zero’s claim of 102 MPH is accurate. Even on a slight climb.

Brakes: Front seemed pretty good, back is not that great.

Handling: I am used to a 650 V-Strom and the SR has quicker handling.

Suspension: No issues, definitely better than the stock suspension on a V-Strom.

Tires: I am a big fan of the Michelin Pilot Road 3s so I had my dealer put them on before I picked up the bike. I am not seeing any issues with running a 150 in back instead of the stock 140.

Instruments: Definitely like the new instrument panel, especially the battery charge indicator. You can supplement the instrument panel with your smart phone but it seemed like information overload. Just how much information do you really need?

Seat: Comfortable for the range you have. Biggest thing is there is no storage under the seat and it is actually bolted on. If you want to install a brake modulator there is room for one of those.

Smart phone App:  When you go to customize the ECO mode you are actually adjusting the Custom mode on the bike. Some of the features work, some didn’t. Hopefully this gets updated to reflect the 2014 models.

Options I have: Dual sport windscreen, liked the looks better than the commuter screen.
Luggage. I got the Givi based mounts from Zero but will be putting SW-MOTECH side cases and top box on when needed.

Range: For the terrain in eastern North Carolina 70 miles at 55 MPH is really the maximum range.  “Limp home” mode begins at 7% charge level. At that point you will not maintain 55 MPH. Power level will continue to be cut as the charge level gets lower. You have a few miles of this before it REALLY gets ugly.

Biggest complaint: By far the location of the quick charger plug. Zero what the heck were you thinking? The plug for the standard charger, J1772 and CHAdeMO are all on the left side of the bike, and extremely easy to access. But the quick charger connection in located just above the front part of the motor. I ended up lying on my back with a flashlight to get my quick charger plugged in. Major PIA! What I ended up doing was to leave the Y Adapter plugged in all the time with the two ends tucked in on the right side just behind the battery. There is another cable there that the ends can tuck behind to keep them from coming out.

Overall: Extremely pleased with the Zero SR! Riding the SR isn’t about being “green”. It’s about power delivery. It’s about smooth, fast power and with a single twist of the wrist go from 0-102 MPH. Yes this bike is easy to get in trouble with. Without a screaming motor it isn’t always obvious how fast you are going. Not hard to take off from a traffic light and be doing 70 MPH or more before you realize it.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: Another first impression of the SR.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 03:48:08 AM »

Another writeup that makes me more determined to get one! damn you!

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 09:49:47 PM »

ultranr, Did you have to dial the suspension in?  What is your weight and height, I'm about 150lbs and 5'10" and I'm messing around with the suspension because it feels harsh to me.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:06:51 PM »

dc5dd,
I tweaked the rebound to about 3/4 on the fast side. I am about 5'11" and probably 185 ish in riding gear. I haven't tweaked the compression and may just leave it as it is. With my weight I definitly don't consider it harsh.

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 10:35:03 PM »

I have found it is best to dial in new suspensions after some use.

For the Fast Ace stuff that Zero uses it seems to lose some of that harshness after 1-2 K miles and then you can dial things in better to fit you and your riding style.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 10:38:27 PM »

I have found it is best to dial in new suspensions after some use.

For the Fast Ace stuff that Zero uses it seems to lose some of that harshness after 1-2 K miles and then you can dial things in better to fit you and your riding style.

Thanks WindRider I appreciate the advice.  I'm going to wait and see.

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 03:21:08 AM »

When I test rode a '13 DS I had to use an alarming amount of force to lock up the rear brake.  On my FX I can lock it up more reasonably but I would describe the rear brake as "wooden" with no feel whatsoever.  The front FX brake was okay for feel but weak, though it's perfect for dirt, and I now have the S wheels and disc on the front for the street which feels excellent.  I am fond of the PR3's also but went with Pirelli Diablo Rosso II's on Harlan's recommendation and because they came in 140 size.  I may go to PR3's when these wear out as I'm familiar with all-weather riding on them but so far no complaints about the Pirellis.  The SR sounds like a blast, I'd love to ride one someday.  The 100ft-lbs of torque about makes up for the weight gain over the FX!
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

oobflyer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 11:54:29 AM »

Congrats on the new toy! Interesting that the quick charge port is difficult to access.  Maybe Zero expects rides to use it less now, with the other charging options.
2021 Energica Ribelle, 2015 Zero SR, 2012 Zero ZF9, 2007 Vectrix VX-1 Li+, 2012 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Nissan Leaf, 2020 Nissan Leaf, 2018 Tesla Model 3, 2023 Tesla Model Y

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 10:17:49 PM »

My 2014 S also has a very "wooden"-feeling rear brake, although the front brake is just fine.  I need to really stand on the rear brake pedal to get it to work noticeably.  However, my 2012 S was like that too and the rear brake got much better after several thousands of miles of use.  By the time I gave it to my daughter at 8,300 miles it was working as well as the rear brake on my daughter's 1981 BMW R65LS drum brake.   ;)

It does seem like the rear brake on the 2014 S is getting a little better as the miles add up.  Either that, or my right foot is getting stronger.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 08:01:15 AM »

On the subject of weak rear brakes:

Buell motorcycles all had weaker than typical rear brakes.   The CTO at Zero Motorcycle (Abe Askenazi) used to work at Buell and maybe he has the same philosophy?

Personally, when I first started riding the Buells I thought that same thing:   why have such a weak rear brake?   But after riding it for a while and calibrating my foot to it, I kind of liked it better.   Under hard or panic braking you will almost never lock it up which is a problem on a typical motorcycles.

The exception to the weak rear brake in the Zero line is the 13 FX which has a touchy rear brake and I am always locking up the rear wheel on accident now, especially in the dirt.   On the 14 FX the rear brake got weaker and the front brake stronger so I think it is a design philosophy at Zero.

Anyway, before you get too upset about a weaker than typical rear brake on Zero Motorcycles ride it a few thousand miles, recalibrate your right foot and see if you don't find it better than typical in the end in terms of control once you get used to it.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 01:56:43 PM »

Ducati's official philosophy is if you rely on your rear brake you're doing it wrong. Any of the Ducati's I've ridden had very weak brakes. But the front brake is like "whoooooo".

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2014, 10:17:44 PM »

I was told the other day by a Zero employee that specifying a different brake pad brand or friction rating (or any other part, for that matter) than that selected for the production vehicle would cost about $15,000 just for the testing, approval and paperwork routing by a certified testing laboratory.  That is why you don't see much of a list of different approved parts, other than maybe tires, that would work on motor vehicles very often, other than what is in the manufacturer's accessory catalog (which never includes different brake pads - not even in the H-D catalog).
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

ultrarnr

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2014, 11:27:27 PM »

The ability to adjust Regen can make up for a weak rear brake. At least that is what I have done. I am running custom mode and have set the regen on maximum which frequently eliminates the need to even touch the brakes. Sometimes you have to touch the brakes just to get the brake lights to come on so people know you are slowing down but it is the regen that is really doing all the work.

Mike, You are right on about Ducati's, I test rode a 2013 Multistrada and from 35MPH could not get the ABS to kick in when only using the back brake. To do that on my V-Strom is no problem and that doesn't have what I would call powerful brakes. The Aprilia Dorosduro that I traded in on the SR on the other hand had a back brake you have to respect as it locked up really fast.
Pages: [1]