• April 27, 2024, 04:59:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Help needed in the UK  (Read 1842 times)

BrianW

• View Profile
Help needed in the UK
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:45:52 PM »

Hello all,

Apologies if this has been mentioned before but my Google-fu is weak.

I have just been issued a recall for my bike...I have now discovered that a) Zero pulled out of the UK last year and b) The shop I bought it from closed down. At the moment the closest place I can find to do the recall and possibly MOT and Service is...France.

As you can imagine I am a little worried that I maybe £12K out of pocket, can someone tell me if there is a still a Zero dealer, mechanic etc in the UK please or if anyone else is having the same issues.

My search continues.
Thanks.
B

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: Help needed in the UK
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 03:46:40 PM »

I can help a little bit, as I've been talking directly with Zero regarding this situation over the past couple of weeks.

The previous service center, Supamoto in Bedford, appears to have closed its doors at Christmas. As far as I understand in doing so they told no one, including Zero, that they were closing shop, so Zero did not find out as far as I'm aware until mid to late January.

This has left Zero having to look for a new service centre in the UK, and I believe that they are talking to a dealership regarding this.

Apparently, so a little bird tells me, there are around 200 Zeros in the UK, so its likely something will get sorted soon.

On a more positive note, I get the feeling that with Brammo looking at the UK market, Zero may re-enter the UK in 2015. 

Once I know more about the service center situation, I post it up here.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:59:08 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

BrianW

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 04:30:51 PM »

Thanks for that, Supamoto is who I bought mine from...shame they closed, nice guys.

Serious worry at the moment!

I shall keep mailing Zero for news on the recall, do you have an email you could send me please?

B

Mike Werner

• View Profile
    • Travel France Tips
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 07:33:44 PM »

You can't even bring it to France since they don't have the tools to do the recall. Mine has been there since beginning of Jan waiting....

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 10:58:49 PM »

My dealer has the laptop and cable but is waiting for information on how to do it.

Jersey could be an emergency option for you BrianW but it's almost certainly cheaper to go to France than use our monopolised ferry service.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 11:58:05 PM »

Hi Brain,

do you have Glitch issues? I never had and I wouldn't worry to much if you never had a glitch.
If your bike is glitching it will be dangerous to ride in traffic!

My dealer has the laptop and cable but is waiting for information on how to do it.

This will be good for the Sevcon upgrade but for the MBB he needs a different tool (let me call it a yellow-black box) having the upgrade SW loaded on. It will be attached direct to the MBB and do the upgrade.

But having the laptop he maybe has it too ;)
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

tyskmoped

• View Profile
Help needed in the UK
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 03:00:06 AM »

Tell More about the yellow Black box ;-)

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 01:57:27 AM »

I can't tell more I believe it is a µC inside which can be loaded with the SW for eq the MBB.

It will be connected direct to the MBB and make the update. Not sure if it is a Zero self-made or maybe a standard programmer tool for their devices. I know the MBB can be connected with "RS232" (3.3V TTL)at OBD-II and can speak CAN with BMS and Sevcon but is updated direct so I would guess it is done with JTAG or SWD ...

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 02:39:40 AM by BSDThw »
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

BrianW

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2014, 06:32:47 PM »

Thank you for the email address, got this back:

Dear Mr. White,
I fully understand your concern, please allow me to explain the current situation in the United Kingdom.

We have been sending recall notifications to all European Customers from our Alkmaar office in the end of January. As per the details in the letter we would be available during office hours per telephone +31 72 5112014 or you can drop me an email if you have any question regarding the recall.

As you might have heard or read, we, Zero Motorcycles, expanded our operations to Europe in 2009 with a handful of carefully selected markets to test the appeal and acceptance of our electric motorcycles.

Unfortunately, we came to the conclusion that the UK market lags behind other European markets in terms of market readiness. As a consequence, and with much regret, we have decided to withdraw our operations from the UK market in 2013.
This decision in no way impacts the rest our business operations in Europe.

We will continue to aggressively support our dealers and customers in the markets we serve directly such as France, Germany, Austria, Luxembourg, Netherlands and Belgium as well as our independent distributors in Spain, Scandinavia and Switzerland. We continue to experience increases in consumer interest and demand for our products and are encouraged by the opportunities these markets represent. Should the business outlook in Great Britain improve for electric vehicles in the years ahead we will re-evaluate whether or not it is in our best interest to enter the UK market once again.

For maintenance, overhaul and warranty of sold Motorcycles within the UK we selected Supamoto in 16 Bunyan Road, Kempston, Bedford, MK42 8HP as our official Service Hub. However recently we received the notification through the VOSA that Supermoto closed down over Christmas 2013. As we also replied to the VOSA, for potential recalls and proper maintenance of the sold Zero Motorcycles we certainly focus on finding a new Service Hub in the UK. This is currently in progress, we are in the final stage of settlement. Once this is settled we will introduce all Customers to the new Service Hub and inform them about the new procedures.

Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any question about the recall.
With kind regards,
Danny van der Horst
Customer Service Manager
Zero Motorcycles Europe
Fluorietweg 12d, 1812RR Alkmaar, The Netherlands
Tel: +31(0)725112014

Danny.vanderHorst@zeromotorcycles.com
Pages: [1]