• April 25, 2024, 02:08:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My rear shock is leaking oil  (Read 3879 times)

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
Re: My rear shock is leaking oil
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 12:22:22 AM »

I'm trying the big DNM MT-BAG in 280mm. It fit upside down but with very little clearance. But the 280mm one doesn't have the same travel as the original FASTACE. Maybe it will be better with the smaller model MK-BAG which is still much larger than the FASTACE !!!
The remote piggyback reservoir has to be put somewhere also.
I will post ridding impressions

Laurent

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 11:14:02 PM »

Futhermore on the original FASTACE rear shock the upper bushes had already built a noticable play.
The DNM has sperical plain bearing which is far better !
Laurent

zerotracer

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 06:47:12 AM »

The play in the top of the rear shock made a cracking noise on my bike when it was new.
I took off the shock absorber and mounted some small metal pieces so the play was gone and also the cracking sound  :)

But I think it´s possible to disassemble the Fastace shock and put a new seal in it.
Try search Youtube for disassembly procedure videos.
Yamaha FZ6 S2 - 2008 "sold"
Zero S ZF9 - 2012 - production nr. 0014 "sold"
Zero S ZF11.4 - 2013 - production nr. 2887 - firmware updated 12/3-14 - new BMS board 28/7-14 - ZF12.5 battery upgrade 20/4-16

Denmark Europe

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 08:40:02 PM »

Well on my Fastace the rebound knob seems to have a lot of play, it could almost been pull out of the shock body.
If I disassemble the shock I' ll need new seals and I don't know where to find them. I will also need to repressurise the piggy back and I don't know how to do it.
Futhermore the 2013's Fastace is really too small, I have almost the same but better quality Fox Dhx on my DH mountain bike !
I don't know about the 2014's one, it may be bigger and longer ?
Laurent

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2014, 05:25:52 AM »

Repressurize is easy but you need the right tools.  I assume it has the same valve as your car tire.  I have a small tank of nitrogen that can be bought at welding supply stores all over the place.  Then you need a regulator and a gage to cut the pressure down from like 2000 psi in the bottle to the 140-170 psi in the shock.  The size of any motorcycle shock is so small that you cannot just pull the hose off of the valve because just like the car tire it loses some air as you remove it.  They sell a little valve that is not all that expensive that you screw onto the shock and it has a little bar to spin that opens and closes the shock while under the pressure from your tank.  If you hold 150 psi on the shock then close the shock valve, you know you have trapped 150 in it.  Then you can remove the hoses and it doesn't matter how much gas escapes because the shock is already closed. 

Maybe if you don't do this often, it costs several hundred dollars for stuff you won't use again.  I bought the right stuff because I tuned my own shocks for a while years ago.  So it made sense to have the equipment.  Maybe the motorcycle shop has the equipment to do it if you don't want to buy the stuff.  The little valve was sort of hard to find.  I went to a store that carried pneumatic stuff and they had to order it. 

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 01:29:45 AM »

Laurent

That's a question I've had on my mind.  How hard to adapt 2014 suspension to 2013s?  I think the '14 FX was advertised as having a large head bearing so it might not be trivial to use the 2014 triple clamp in the front.  But might the improved rear shock swap for any of our bikes?
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 03:15:33 AM »

There no presta or schrader valve on the shock, just a screw on the piggyback which seems to access a rubber seal on a very small diameter hole....
Laurent

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2014, 12:48:31 AM »

Some of my shocks had a little screw with an o-ring.  It is a way to let air out and then add a little oil.  When assembling the shock, you might not get it perfect and have a little trapped air.  I suspect I always have a little air trapped in the shock. The pressure should be zero when you unscrew it.  They also had a Schrader valve as well though on the bottom of the reservoir.  With no valve then I don't understand how they pressurize it. 

Losmeister

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2014, 04:07:24 AM »

Laurent

That's a question I've had on my mind.  How hard to adapt 2014 suspension to 2013s?  I think the '14 FX was advertised as having a large head bearing so it might not be trivial to use the 2014 triple clamp in the front.  But might the improved rear shock swap for any of our bikes?

Hello People!
Just bought a 2013 Zerod DS...it had 645 miles, now has 1650 miles!  8)This thread caught my attention because, well, I gained a load of weight in my forties and am weighing like 250 these days and I fear, though I've adjusted my shocks to where I think is proper, that I may eventually have this issue. So...I am keeping an eye on this thread.

Also, to do maint, just jack her up from under the battery?

MorbidBBQ

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2017, 07:25:13 AM »

As you can see the upper space is very tight

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I'm having no luck elsewhere.  I'm taking the rear shock out of my 2013 S, but don't know whats necessary to get to it.  Is there a special tool that I need, or does the zero just need more disassembly than I want to admit to myself?
2013 Zero S
2007 Yamaha FZ6
2005 Ninja 250
1983 Honda CSR
Pages: 1 [2]