• April 26, 2024, 10:03:11 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My rear shock is leaking oil  (Read 3880 times)

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
My rear shock is leaking oil
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:09:35 AM »

After only 2500 kms my rear shock is bouncing like a mad kangaroo and leaking oil.
I will have to go and see my dealer. By the way he has no computer for the firmware update, maybe able to borrow one one day or another !!!
But as you now on the 2013 DS model the rear shock is really too small to resist, and it will happen again and again.

So I had been searching in my area (in France) what kind of replacement shock I could have. Wilbers and Ohlins are specific to different motorcycle model and I haven't found anyone who'd like to try to find a suitable one for my DS
So now I'm dealing with EMC (http://www.emc-suspensions.fr/) who should be able to make a fitable shock

I should go and see them in two days I think
Laurent

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
Re: My rear shock is leaking oil
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:13:52 AM »

Please keep us informed!  I am very interested in upgrading this suspension over time.  Harlan's S-wheel-based supermoto kit revolutionized the braking with the big front rotor but the suspension still feels like mountain bike parts.
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

spelunker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 01:15:24 AM »

I bought a new 2013 S last Spring.  About six months in, my rear shock blew a seal.  I took it to my dealer and they replaced the shock.

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:59:22 AM »

http://www.worksperformance.com/ sells many shocks for many bikes.  I did not see Zero listed on their webpage but they could probably make one.  I hope there is space around the Zero shock because some aftermarket shocks might be larger diameter. 

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 04:42:37 AM »

I seem to recall that Zero was selling a name-brand rear shock as an accessory for the 2012 S at one time.  I think it was a Fox shock.  But I believe that they sold out of the few that they had and it doesn't seem like it is being offered any more.  You might give Fox a try to see if they have something on their shelves that would fit your bike.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 12:31:38 PM »

Impossible in France as the french distributif is mainly a mountain bike shock distributor and as for the other Lakers will sell ONLY for Motorcycle modèles they have on the compatibility list. I've tried to tell them that I can give the length, travel and bushes dimensions of the shock but they simply won't bother !!!
Friday afternoon I will go to EMC while riding from work
Laurent

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2014, 03:13:03 PM »

So I have been to EMC. They can make me a shock, I have to dismount mine to have the exact lengh, travel and bushes. And also to check if the new shock diameter will fit in the space of the frame. Will do that at the end of the week. No price yet either
Laurent

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 11:01:46 PM »

Wow.... How much will it cost ?

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 06:43:24 PM »

Well the latest news: the shock from EMC is really big and on 2013 DS the area of the shock upper mounting is SO small. Any other shock won't fit because there's this huge round frame tube.
So for the EMC: I could have one (it's 500€) but with a shock extension to fit the narrow upper fitting which mean a shock with little travel. I am taking all the measure as we speak to go back at EMC.

Another solution is this one http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330827543804&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
which I think will fit perfectly. DNM is still chinese but you will find part easily and it's still better than FASTACE

More expensive is this one: http://www.wahlracing.com/product.php?productid=19808&cat=259&page=2&click=srclick
You will need the 0.75 extension on the DS to have proper lenght.

But all these are "dirt mini bike" shocks as the Fastace original and not really motorcycle shock !!!

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »

This is where my shock is leaking oil: below the rebound knob.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 08:08:52 PM »

As you can see the upper space is very tight

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 08:09:59 PM »

Here is the too-small-for-motorcycle 280mm shock, very small !!!

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 08:14:01 PM »

For the EMC shock I had to measure the REAL rear wheel travel in relation to the travel of the shock. I made mutiple measure with a jack and without the shock, the travel is perfectly linear, perfect for an air shock !!! The 195mm travel at the wheel is real !!!
On the drawing I went more than the actual shock travel.
I also measure sag with bike weight and also with me on board

pres68y

• 2013 MX -setup for only Flat Track.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 06:51:14 PM »

FWIW: Works performance made a custom shock for our 2013 MX dirt tracker that has worked really well. We had spent hundreds of $s on trying to modify the stock Fastace shock to no real improvement. The custom WP shock solved all our rear suspension problems.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2014, 02:39:52 PM »

I just went on their website, it seems to be a great shock company. They have deported piggy back models which may fit the Zero. Too far away for me but for US rider I think it could be a great way of improvement !!!
Laurent
Pages: [1] 2