• March 29, 2024, 07:12:33 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Rear tire replacement  (Read 1352 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Rear tire replacement
« on: January 18, 2014, 05:26:09 AM »

Today I replaced the original rear tire with the same size Michelin Pilot Activ.  The original tire had 8,000 miles on it.  It had not yet reached the wear bars, but had flattened out quite a bit and the new tire should improve cornering and steering accuracy, as well as provide better dry and wet weather traction.

I have removed and reinstalled a lot of motorcycle rear wheels over the past 50 years and the Zero was the easiest that I have ever worked on.  The axle came out easily, and the wheel dropped out without hitting anything, once the rear caliper was removed by pulling the two fasteners.  When removing the axle don't forget to first loosen the pinch bolts located at the rear of the swing arm.  All bolts use a 5mm Allen hex wrench (or bit) to loosen.  The wheel also went back into the swing arm easier than any other bike that I have ever worked on.  Everything fit easily and no force was needed to install the wheel and its spacers and to insert the axle.

The only real hassle was removing and reinstalling the tire.  The rear wheel is a very nice casting and the paint is beautiful, but the wheel design has a very small drop rim and that makes it quite difficult to lever the old tire off and lever the new tire back on.  I had to resort to using my large, dished, metal tire irons, which scratched the finish during the last struggle to get the new tire bead over the rim. I had warmed the tire and lubricated the bead with soapy water first, which greatly helps the installation.  On the other hand, I didn't have to use my pressurized air tank to seat the tire on the rim.  Just using a bicycle floor pump was sufficient to inflate the tire and seat the bead after pressurizing the tire to 45 pounds.

Anyone wanting to change their own tire should consider buying a Drag Specialties scissor lift.  It worked perfectly to lift the bike under the belly pan and supported it securely while I removed and replaced the rear wheel.  The wheel did need the stock wheel weights removed and new ones replaced at a different location.  Three weights were removed and two weights were installed at a location near opposite of the old weights.

Due to the difficulty of replacing the tire on the wheel, I would recommend to anyone who is not experienced with this task to just remove the wheel and take it to a shop and let them perform this task.  You will save a lot of effort and preserve the finish on your wheel, compared with performing the work using hand tools on a cardboard garage floor, especially if you are working by yourself.   ;)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Rear tire replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 02:26:08 AM »

Thanks! It's good to know that basic wheel work can be done easily. My V-Strom has a bit of a monkey puzzle getting the rear wheel off and on. I'll likely do a dealer tire replacement since they've offered low rates (also, I'm not comfortable with tubed tires), but it's good to know how simple the steps are.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 01:34:33 AM »

I have found that pre 2013 they were super easy, and 2013 + were a little harder, also I freaked out at the track once when I was fixing my bike after a crash and Jeremiah was helping me. We both thought the rim was seriously deformed, but then discovered that they are just not perfectly molded. watch the center spin at a slow speed when the rear is lifted.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 12:11:06 AM »

Just got a new rear tire put on at the (distant) Zero dealer.  $104 (w/tax) for the Road Winner to match the stock tire,  +$71 (w/tax,fees,etc) labor.   After reading Richard's post I decided not to do it myself.  I could have gotten the tire from Amazon_ for $80; and a local shop will mount for $20;  but I felt like I needed to support my Zero dealer a bit,  I'd hate to see them dump the Zero line.   I also got the brake & SW recalls performed.

The shop guy at the dealer seemed surprised - he said mostly when a Zero comes in it has less than 1000 miles, even for bikes several years old.  He then commented he sees that alot with gas bikes too.   I guess it shows that many people get a bike as a summertime-sunday toy.

I had the tire replaced at 10K miles,  like Richard I was seeing the wear bars around 8K miles, but I always stretch bike tires longer - look at all the tread on the sides that's barely worn!!  ;)   Seriously, looking at the before/after picture, I wonder if I could have squeezed another 2K miles out of it.

2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 01:25:49 AM »

What made you go with another Road Whiner? I found it to be awful in every way except lifespan.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:02:32 AM »

What made you go with another Road Whiner? I found it to be awful in every way except lifespan.
In reviews of tires, people typically have strong opinions: "Tire X is complete crap, I love tire Y".   And usually you can find an opposite review: "Tire X is awesome, tire Y sucks".  These comments, along with yours, confuse me.  Every brand/type of tire I have ever ridden on perform "about the same" to me.   I had no issues with the IRC, so I got another one.   I guess I just don't push the limits when I ride.   
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:04:06 AM by ColoPaul »

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 04:00:08 AM »

You are right to a point but they are very cheaply made bias ply tyres. I cant think of any situation where they would be preferable over a modern radial tyre.  But if they work for you, that is fine.

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 05:37:45 AM »

I cant think of any situation where they would be preferable over a modern radial tyre.

Hmm.  Is this website wrong?
http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/info-center/faq/#can-i-change-my-tires-from-bias-ply-to-radial-or-vice-versa

"it is recommended that a motorcycle be used with the type of tire construction that it came with originally. "

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 05:40:15 AM »

The only problem that I had with the IRC tire in practice was that they were very slippery when the pavement got wet.  Since I had planned to give my 2012 Zero to my daughter, I wanted to install a name-brand tire and I have found that Michelin makes pretty good tires.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]