• March 29, 2024, 01:44:23 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: How much is the new 5yr warranty worth  (Read 1115 times)

Burton

• View Profile
How much is the new 5yr warranty worth
« on: January 16, 2014, 05:46:26 AM »

I am going to get a zero S 11.4 soon and originally I wanted a 2013 because it is superior to the 2013 and it cost less than the 2014.

I figured with recent prices a used 2013 S 11.4 would go for about 10k
A 'new' 2013 S 11.4 with 2 year standard warranty would go for 13k before taxes / fees from dealer
The new 2014 with same standard warranty plus the 5 year / 100k on the battery pack is 15k for the same model.

So the question is what is the new warranty worth. Is it worth the 2k over the 2013 new from a dealer? Is it worth the 5k+ over the cost of a barely used 2013 which would transfer a 1yr standard warranty on purchase?

What are your thoughts?
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: How much is the new 5yr warranty worth
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 06:19:01 AM »

If I had the option for my 2012, I'd probably pay $1000 to bump from a 2 year to a 5 year extended warranty.

So if it were me, I would look at the new 2014 at $15k vs the new-old-stock 2013 at $13k. Beyond the extended powertrain warranty, you get slightly better resale value, significantly better displays, a beefier frame, and the benefit of any lessons learned while building the 2013 bikes.

If it was $12k vs $15k, I'd lean slightly towards the NOS 2013.

If you can find a like-new used 2013 ZF11.4 for $10k, I'd hop on that in a heartbeat.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 09:09:35 PM »

I would be more interested in a full warranty that covered everything for 5 years...or at least the major high-tech components...motor, controller, charger, along with the battery. I think the fact Zero offers an extended warranty on the power pack means they feel the battery is fairly bulletproof which is a good sign for anyone buying a 2014 whether you buy the extended warranty or not.

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 10:55:41 PM »

If it were me looking at new bikes (2013 versus 2014) I'd pay a bit extra and get a new bike with a better warranty. You may not use it, but it definitely helps sometimes. Sure they've had some recalls which replace/update faulty items, but it only goes so far.

I know for me when Brammo said the bike warranty was 2 years and then updated the battery to 5 years, I was really glad I had that sort of comfort. With battery and controller tech moving as fast as it is, having that warranty, to me, feels like there's really nothing to worry about.
Travis

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 01:50:22 AM »

True, but in a couple of years when new must-have technology shows up, will you still be happy to ride around an "old" bike? I can't imagine still riding around the 2011 Zero S with the brushed motor and top speed of 65 mph I had after riding the 2013. 2019 is a long time away. I never seem to hold onto a bike for more than a year or so before something new or better comes along I would rather have.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 04:07:57 AM »

True, but in a couple of years when new must-have technology shows up, will you still be happy to ride around an "old" bike? I can't imagine still riding around the 2011 Zero S with the brushed motor and top speed of 65 mph I had after riding the 2013. 2019 is a long time away. I never seem to hold onto a bike for more than a year or so before something new or better comes along I would rather have.

Id love to change bikes every year but I could never afford it on my current salary. Bearing that in mind, the 5 year warranty eases concerns but actually I have alot of faith in my ZF9 battery pack.  Its the new old style motor I worry about.  In fact i'm trying to pile the miles on before the warranty is up in October as i'm convinced its going to fail.
Pages: [1]