• March 29, 2024, 01:05:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Reverse Switch added to FX  (Read 3224 times)

trikester

• View Profile
Reverse Switch added to FX
« on: December 16, 2013, 03:29:04 AM »

I added a "FORWARD / REVERSE" switch to my FX.

Anyone that rides only pavement would probably never want a reverse function on such a light bike. But, I have already experienced a couple of situations in rough dirt having to push the bike backwards uphill to turn around in a narrow place. That's not so easy. Since I already had the experience of wiring a forward / reverse switch on my e-trike conversion, I decided to do the same on my FX.

Harlan did the software change to setup the Sevcon to recognize the reverse signal input.

Caution - riding backwards is very tricky and going too fast would mean definitely falling down! I use very little throttle and keep my feet out when moving backwards.

Trikester

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: Reverse Switch added to FX
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 04:04:16 AM »

Imagine what the pro stunt riders could do with an electric bike!

grindz145

• Rollin on E-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 04:14:59 AM »

Did you have Harlan set an RPM limit in reverse? That can certainly be helpful. Pretty sweet. As someone who as overcome my vertical challenges as they relate to motorcycling, not ever having to do the old "suspension compression shimmy" to get the bike to go backwards a little bit, would be a welcomed development.

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 05:34:49 AM »

Trikester, you are insane, and I therefore salute you!  ;D
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 07:06:20 AM »

[quoteTrikester, you are insane, and I therefore salute you!  ;D][/quote]

Thank you! At age 78 I've worked hard for, and earned, my insanity.  ;)

BTW - One of the guys at Zero told me that they connected reverse on a Zero bike and tried to actually ride it backwards. From what I understand, no one succeeded for very far.

Maybe one of those clowns that ride a direct coupled bicycle backwards could do it.

From what I've heard, there is some kind of limitation on speed already programmed into the reverse function. What ever it is, I haven't reached it and it is higher than I ever want try.  :o

I guess some of the big road cruiser motorcycles have a reverse gear because they weigh about 1000 lbs.

Trikester

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 01:15:17 PM »

I've 'heard' that the big Goldwings have a reverse gear, but I've never been able to find out if that's true because I break out in a rash every time I go near one... ;)

I can see the utility of a reverse gear myself, especially as you say on a true dirt bike.
Anyway the bigger EV bikes are heavy as well, but convention says motorbikes tend not to have reverse gear, so I doubt that the Misson R's and Ego Energias of this world will feature it either. 
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 04:26:31 PM »

I've 'heard' that the big Goldwings have a reverse gear, but I've never been able to find out if that's true because I break out in a rash every time I go near one... ;)

I can see the utility of a reverse gear myself, especially as you say on a true dirt bike.
Anyway the bigger EV bikes are heavy as well, but convention says motorbikes tend not to have reverse gear, so I doubt that the Misson R's and Ego Energias of this world will feature it either.

Yes they do, but they just run the starter motor backwards with the clutch engaged, I presume in 1st gear.

Although I wouldn't say a reverse is essential for my riding I would definitely use it if it was available, it would also dramatically increase my parking options as I wouldnt have to worry about getting the bike out again.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 11:23:11 PM »

Although I wouldn't say a reverse is essential for my riding I would definitely use it if it was available, it would also dramatically increase my parking options as I wouldn't have to worry about getting the bike out again.

The Sevcon can be wired for it (obviously, since I did it ;). The re-wire is fairly simple. Zero might be reluctant to help or advise someone modifying one of their bikes, but since I was doing it on a non-Zero made three wheeler, in which I installed all of the wiring, they helped me. I haven't checked the Sevcon manual for the instructions, but they should be there also. As I mentioned, it does also require a programming change to the Sevcon, before it recognizes the signal input.

There is also the Zero warranty to be considered. I wish all manufacturers would do as I did when I was manufacturing an instrument. If someone modified my product, and I could clearly see that the modification had nothing to do with a subsequent failure, I still honored the warranty. I also honored a warranty long out of the period if a failure was definitely due to an original manufacturing defect. I had several of those, where a bad solder joint failed long after the product was out of warranty and I repaired it without charge. Bad solder joints often take a long time to corrode and fail.

Trikester

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2013, 04:39:49 AM »

Trikester,

I'm very jealous of your reverse switch. I've gotten progressely better at riding the Zero backwards down a driveway. I can coast all the way down a driveway backwards and turn backwards onto the road and then accelerate froward all without my feet touching the ground. I think it would so cool to show off the Zero to gas bike lovers by riding the Zero in reverse! That honestly would really get some people to realize the potential of an electric powertrain. I really want this mod done to my bike but I don't have a dealer that's capable of reprogramming the Sevcon. :(

af1 racing

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 05:10:45 AM »

reverse is very hard to ride feet up.....

the Vectrix e-scooter can go in reverse if you double pump the throttle grip the opposite way.  The best any of us could do with both feet up is about 30 feet.   Any little lean, and you'd lose your balance.  It was fun trying though.

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 05:21:08 AM »

This went around the work cyclist distribution list the other day:
Eskil禅 riding a bike backwards at 80 km/h (top speed) Trollstigen

Surely not as hard to ride as one of these, these things must require a complete brain- and inner-ear-rewiring:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Reverse-steering-bike/

Jealous, warranty issues are going to keep me from digging this deep for some years.  I haven't been shy about throwing it down the rocks off-road (put a nice ding in the frame last Saturday) but completely invalidating my warranty in the first month is a bridge too far for this first-time brand-new vehicle purchaser, for now.
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 10:06:26 AM »

Good grief!!! And a wet road too. I would be afraid to ride forwards down that steep wet road especially with those tight switchbacks.

Trikester

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 10:14:01 AM »

Well, he was wearing a helmet and high vis gear..... so it must have been "safe" ?

;D
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

grmarks

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2016, 07:23:48 AM »

But the bike is going forwards (the steering wheel is on the front) put the steering wheel on the back and see how he goes!
Pages: [1]