• April 25, 2024, 06:37:14 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Winter ride setups  (Read 3256 times)

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
Re: Winter ride setups
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2013, 03:24:51 PM »

And I also have the Handgrip Cover from Tucano Urbano model R319. It must be secure tight to the handlebar to be comfortable when riding.
And that's all !!!
I wanted to have the heated seat but my range is reduced during freezing temperatures (it's chemistery on the battery cells, see another thread dealing with that) altough I'm charging the bike indoor and I won't make the round trip to work.
Laurent

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 09:44:36 PM »

I can recommend these handlebar muffs.  I bought a pair for my BMWs. The muffs only take about a minute to install and I just move them from bike to bike before I ride. They seem to be pretty much a universal fit product and it works on all of my bikes, although they seem to work better if your bike is equipped with plastic wind deflectors as they are contoured to fit over bark busters.  The price is fair, they compact into a relatively small package for storage and I like the clear window over the bar control button area so that you can see where the horn and other control buttons are located.

http://www.wunderlichnj.com/Merchant5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=WNJ&Product_Code=8110360&Category_Code=F650GSTWIN-X
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

swiftsam

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2014, 11:07:06 PM »

Richard, thanks for the recommendation on the Wunderlich muffs.  Your comment was well timed for Christmas present wish lists and after some slow shipping I got mine a couple of weeks ago.  I'll second that the installation is super easy although I did add some zip ties to really cinch them closed on the bars.  I've ridden regularly in the 30s and a few times in the 15-25 degree range now and my hands are much much warmer than with gloves alone.

For $85 they are so much of a simpler solution than heated grips or the big windshield fairing I was dreaming up in late november.  Forecasts for the next three days at commuting time are 17, 14, 19 F.  I'm not dreading it nearly as much as I would have been without them.
2013 S ZF14.4

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2014, 04:34:56 AM »

Great news Swiftsam.  I agree they are a better solution to cold hands than many other devices - including the heated grips that I have on both of my BMW motorcycles.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Crawling Finn

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2014, 09:25:41 PM »

Hi Crawling Finn,

Not sure why you've had issues getting the screen for your motorcycle.  I just sent you a PM with details on whom to contact in Alkmaar to get this fixed.  They have these screens in stock.

By the way, you may want to consider the Commuter Screen instead of the Dual Sport screen for your purposes.  It's larger and more practical for commuters.

Regards,
aaronzeromoto

Top marks to Zero for sorting out my screen. Now I just need to put some mileage on it to see how it works.
MRA calls it touring screen in German :) I think our range is still quite far from being suited for touring therefore commuter screen sounds much more fitting.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 05:34:57 AM »

Handlebar muffs and the windshield have been adequate for me in 15F weather here in Seattle, but I wouldn't call the experience comfortable, exactly! Thankfully we only get this kind of weather for brief periods.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Burton

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 08:01:46 AM »

I know it isn't a zero but it puts out very limited power so in some ways I had to improvise more for winter.

This is my ninja 250 I commute with every day to work, 26 miles one way, taking about 30 minutes.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/71805301@N05/sets/72157629374581805/

It has daystar heated grips (18w low 30w high [real watts used not post resistor values), hippo hands with bracket inside to keep them stable in high winds, 19" touring shield I duck behind when it drops bellow 20 (anything above and I can sit upright), battery heated gerbings T5 gloves, 'winter wings' (the clear plexiglass blocking from knee down to foot [they are metal this year]), airhawk 2 seat (keeps bum warm and is comfortable), carb heaters (~30w)

I cannot use any other heated gear unless it has its own battery and I have to turn items off if the rpms drop below 4k or the battery will slowly drain -_- LED's everywhere on this bike including the dash, I have a 35w HID, all in an effort to reduce power consumption.

As the bike is set up now it gets about 55mpg in winter, stock it can get 65 but I wouldn't be comfortable. :/
All content I have created here http://bit.ly/1NX4KP9

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »

Handlebar muffs and the windshield have been adequate for me in 15F weather here in Seattle, but I wouldn't call the experience comfortable, exactly! Thankfully we only get this kind of weather for brief periods.

I just saw these Bike Master handlebar muffs on sale at Bike Bandit for under $40.  Seems like a pretty good deal:

http://www.bikebandit.com/bikemaster-hand-mitts?m=153172

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2014, 06:33:08 AM »

I'll just add that the DS is the best bike I've ever tried to ride on packed snow. Smooth rollon of torque at extremely low RPMs made it really easy to respond to traction loss. And the bike is light enough to keep stable with my feet to avoid a get-off. My only fear was dealing with cars that had no real stopping power. :)
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS
Pages: 1 [2]