• March 29, 2024, 03:08:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Motor Questions????  (Read 1920 times)

BBarnes1006

• View Profile
Motor Questions????
« on: April 28, 2009, 03:37:23 AM »

I have a simple, hopefully, question about motors and generation. I am in the design stages of my first electric motorcycle (with help from friend with energy and electrical backgrounds). I am looking to put together a motor combination that would allow the bike to be propelled as well a generate electricity to either charge the bataries or just transfer to the propulsion (not sure if that is actually a word) motor. So essentially i am looking to hook to motors up and eb able to have one motor than makes the bike move and the other that runs off the first that would be totall yusaed for co-generation as i ride.

Does this seem like it would work? if so, ar ether any recommendation on the size of motors and gearing needed?

Thanks for any help, and go easy on me...

HotRodHoose

• View Profile
Re: Motor Questions????
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 08:25:16 AM »

In order to do this, you would need a motor and a generator (like an alternator) do charge up enough of the power that is being lost.  I haven't heard of a generator being put on an all electric motorcycle, just on hybrids.  I know if you do regenerative breaking you can get some of the power lost but you can't do too much on a motorcycle otherwise you will feel it throughout the whole bike.

Bogan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 10:56:19 AM »

Im not too sure what you mean here, are you asking about regenerative braking, cos that can easily be done using the same motor. Or a hybrid system, with a petrol motor coupled to an electric?

BBarnes1006

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 09:26:59 PM »

What I am looking at doing is having one electric motor the moves the bike. This motor will have a dual shaft design. Then there will be a second electric motor that is connected to the first (on the opposite side as chain drive - hence dual shaft) that will be turning due to first motors spinning, but the second motor will be strictly a generator if electricity that will be pumped back into the battery pack.

The first motor would be something like http://www.cloudelectric.com/product_p/mo-x91-4001.htm. The second motor, generating motor would be something like http://www.electricmotorsport.com/store/ems_ev_parts_motors_pmac.php.

I fully understand regen braking, but there is minimal power production from that.

frodus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 01:14:50 AM »

what you're talking of is perpetual motion... well, sorta.

turning a generator requires torque... the batteries are seen as a Load and will mechanically load the generator.... which will load the motor. You'd be taking mechanical energy out of the system, converting to electrical, converting the power to pack voltage and trying to recharge. Since we know that things aren't 100% efficient, you'd be using more than you generate. It'd be more of a draw off the pack than it would ever generate.

You'd be better off with a motor that can do regen and generate power when stopping or going downhill.
Travis
Pages: [1]