• May 09, 2024, 05:15:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: First error, probably due to the cold temp  (Read 2530 times)

kensiko

• View Profile
First error, probably due to the cold temp
« on: November 09, 2013, 08:00:19 AM »

OK on my third day of ownership I encountered my first error code, 2 flashes followed by 1 later which is code 7. I was sure it was related to the temperature because I used it at 0 celcius. A small amount of snow was on the bike, really small, when it occurred. Now I saw it is related to the contactor. So is this due to the temperature or the snow?

2 minutes later, back at home, I plugged it. The  battery level was still at 100%. The temp and charging light flashed once and after that the charging light was solid green. I think it didn't want to charge due to the temperature, or the battery was still full.

Any comment?
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

kensiko

• View Profile
Re: First error, probably due to the cold temp
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, 08:05:44 AM »

I forgot to say that I turned the key off and on and the bike started normally.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base

Olav

• Custom Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, 08:10:47 AM »

Can you put your bike in your sig so we know what model to reference?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:54:25 PM by Olav »
KTM E-XC Freeride

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 09:45:42 AM »

I had persistent red flashing lights for what was a driving rain once that really soaked the bike, which cleared up after riding the bike for about 10 miles in dry weather the next day along with 4 or 5 times having flashing red lights from the battery pack getting too hot here in Texas summer and not wanting to recharge until an hour or so when it cooled off. The bike has never stopped running though. The only other thing I have gotten a few times is the bike not running with the first boot and I have to reboot...then it has always gone on the second boot. No warning code appears with that. It just won't go until you reboot. Oh yes, I did get the warning light for riding too fast a couple times but that is very predictable and you just slow down and it stops flashing right away. The sensors do seem to work to protect the bike.

From your description, I seriously doubt your code was due to moisture cause I think you have to get it up under the seat into the controller to cause that fault.  Probably the cold, although I have never had a code from cold, only heat.

Zero.DS.Sweden

• View Profile
First error, probably due to the cold temp
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 03:52:54 PM »

What model and year do you have? On my first Zero DS 2010 I sometimes got error codes but after reboot I worked.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2013, 06:00:57 PM »

Can you put your bike in your sig so we know what model to reference?
sorry, done
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2013, 06:04:26 PM »

I may have done something the computer didn't like:
I turned the key on at the same time that I removed the stand and played with the throttle at the same time.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »

My reboot-in-the-morning minor glitch seems to be dependent upon temperature.  It never showed up all summer and then one day last week the temperature in my garage dropped into the 40's and my 2012 S needed the ignition key turned off and then back on before it would start up.  When this happens I will not hear the contactor "click".  But when I turn the ignition key off and then back on, the contactor will click and the bike will respond to the throttle normally.  There are no fault codes showing. As near as I can tell this issue is entirely dependent upon the temperature of my bike in the morning and once warmed up above 50 degrees due to ambient temperature, or due to operation, the problem doesn't surface until it gets cold again.  It appears to be no big issue and I have learned to live with this feature of my bike.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

vchampain

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2013, 05:50:57 AM »

I have the same issue on a Zero  S 2013. it also happend when the bikes starts from the office parking (heated), so I dont think it is temperature related. And I often have to turn key off and on again 2 to 3 times to start it.

I am a bit nervous, because I had the same issue with my XU, before it started stopping brutally in the middle of the traffic... I talked to the dealer, but i dont think they have a solution...

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2013, 01:25:21 PM »

Same for me on my 2013DS, low temperature but not freezing, code 5 at key start with zero bar at battery level. Reset and then ok with 100%. Nervous ? For sure, I'm selling all my ICE bikes now so won't have a spare to go to work !!!
Laurent

mehve

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2013, 01:45:17 PM »

I notice that the throttle won't engage and the double-blink-long-pause happens when I turn the key with the emergency cut-off disabled.  I find I usually have to be sitting on the bike and ready to go, pull up the kickstand, turn the key, let it start up, and then disable the cut-off switch.  It's also been unusually cold lately. :/  I miss riding! But I don't want to chance getting stranded when the temps dip below 20F. :(

+m
Rides a 2013 Zero S 11.4

Bakersbread

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2013, 10:48:35 PM »

I heard of this happening too and have not experienced it yet on my 13 ds. I heard in the cold weather the capacitor that puts enough power over to make the contactor connect loses power (drains) in the cold. One key cycle charges it up and then will work with no problems. Not a big deal the lights flashing error is saying the system boot failed because it doesnt have enough juice to kick the contacts over

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »

If the contactor wasnt throwing you wouldnt have any power, so you wouldnt see anything on the dash at all.  It could still be the pre-charge capacitor though.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2013, 07:38:14 PM »

All right, let's see if the issue occurs again next summer.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »

NoiseBoy
If the contactor wasnt throwing you wouldnt have any power, so you wouldnt see anything on the dash at all

Are you sure? or do you reckon it is so?
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7
Pages: [1] 2