• April 25, 2024, 04:32:54 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Now that the new specs are in....  (Read 1913 times)

dkw12002

• View Profile
Now that the new specs are in....
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:46:27 PM »

Are you planning to buy a Zero R? Why or why not? Me? Probably not, because of the  added weight.

thelastdeadmouse

• View Profile
Re: Now that the new specs are in....
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:53:43 PM »

Added weight?  I'm not yet a motorcycle rider so I don't have any experience, but the RS is only 8 pounds heavier than the equivalent batteried S.  Seems like it wouldn't even be noticeable.

cloroxbb

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 11:08:54 PM »

Im on the fence. I had my heart set on the DS until the 2014 line was unveiled, and I really like the 0-60 time of 3.3 seconds, but I don't think I would need it. I just don't know yet.
'16 Zero S 9.8

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 11:19:30 PM »

I would if I'd not already just bought a ZF9S

Maybe year after next.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:41:28 PM »

The roads on my part of France are a lot like New-York streets: pot holes, very bad shape, speed limiting bumps....
I'm really glad to have a DS for that kind of roads, I used to have a 3 wheel scooter (Gilera Fuoco 500) which was a shaker with its small 12 inches front wheels. Had to change the headset bearing twice....
So as I stated in another thread I would love a DSr but as a dream.... My 2013 DS is really nice for now.
Have a safe ride
Laurent

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 11:52:16 PM »

Im on the fence. I had my heart set on the DS until the 2014 line was unveiled, and I really like the 0-60 time of 3.3 seconds, but I don't think I would need it. I just don't know yet.

Take a test ride if you can. The regular models' torque is more than plenty to outrun traffic in Sport mode.

Honestly, the higher top speed of the SR can be achieved with a regular S or DS using the Higher Speed Gearing option from the store. It lists 107mph there and 102mph on the SR specs page. So!
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 11:55:31 PM »

Honestly, as a 2013 owner, I will hang onto my (well-turned-out) DS as a commuter bike, and wait a few years until some touring option is realistic. But I would not talk anyone out of the 2014 models - the suspension, frame, and power pack expansions just make it a better investment. The SR is a must-have for racers, and is a great marketing leader for Zero to draw in the flashy sports crowd who are turned off by a bike that can't "go fast".
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 12:07:14 AM »

Added weight?  I'm not yet a motorcycle rider so I don't have any experience, but the RS is only 8 pounds heavier than the equivalent batteried S.  Seems like it wouldn't even be noticeable.

I see what you mean. But I already own a 2013 S with the 8.5 battery at 355 lbs. and the smallest R version they make has a larger battery and weighs an additional 52 lbs. If I have a choice of an 8.5 battery in the R model, that would be different. I do like the 3.3 second 0-60 time.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 01:14:12 AM »

I see what you mean. But I already own a 2013 S with the 8.5 battery at 355 lbs. and the smallest R version they make has a larger battery and weighs an additional 52 lbs. If I have a choice of an 8.5 battery in the R model, that would be different. I do like the 3.3 second 0-60 time.

I had the chance to compare the 2013 S in ZF8.5 with a '13 DS in ZF11.4 and the 11.4 was noticeably more sluggish to accelerate than the 8.5 but in terms of handling, the 11.4 felt just fine.  I own a '12 ZF9 S and often ride the shop demo bike which is the ZF9 DS so I have an idea of how the chassis' compare.   Given that the R has enough torque to make the weight a non-issue when accelerating id be very comfortable buying one.

Yes I would rather have an 8.5 SR but I don't think the battery can support a 660A controller.  I will be going into the finance broker this week to see if i can buy an SR.  I really hope so but i still owe on the ZF9 so I'd have to borrow a total of around £20k GBP until i can settle the 2012 finance by selling it.  Eek. It has to be the SR though,  the S would be plenty fast enough for me but im certain i can 'spread the word' better by humiliating anything that dares to challenge me from the lights!

cloroxbb

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, 01:19:06 AM »

You saw that they dont offer an 8.5kwh SR right? I probably just misinterpreted your post.
'16 Zero S 9.8

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 02:33:33 AM »

You saw that they dont offer an 8.5kwh SR right? I probably just misinterpreted your post.

You did, I mean if they made an 8.5 I would buy one but as they don't it will have to be the biggun.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 02:52:25 AM »

Would like to have a 2014 14.2 for showing purposes, but would probably get a 2014 S 14.2 for traveling.  I'd rather spend the money on faster chargers for road trips.  With 14.2kW of battery I could make it to DC or Boston with only 1 stop along the way.  That would be awesome! 

Doubt I would get one now.  I would need to get a good price for my 2012 S ZF9 plus both fast chargers that are mounted already.  On that note, if you are interested in my setup, let me know and I'll entertain offers.  :-)
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 04:53:57 AM »

Yes I would rather have an 8.5 SR but I don't think the battery can support a 660A controller.

I think that the battery dont see 660A. Dont forget that it's the phase current and not the battery current that the sevcon are rated to.

you can have 660A on the phase of the motor while you only have 250A on the battery side.. it'S the current multiplication effect. Power remain the same for both phase and battery, it's just the volt vs amp ratio that change between both due to the inductive circuit and the pwm modulation from the controller.

The battery will see the 660A only at full power wich mean at the rpm  where the hp are the max.

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 05:03:43 AM »

Doc, the battery could potentially see more current because phase amps is roughly the RMS of the battery amps, in practice the figure is much lower but it will still be too much for specification of the 2013 cells.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »

On my Zf9 the controller current is factory set to the max wich is 420A and i see 450A max on the battery side with my cycle anlayst... that's not that much but it happen at the peak power at about 90km/h

Well... on the 2014 SR  for sure the size 6 + the 75-7 motor and 28s lipo is on the edge

The controller voltage is already used at the top, the current too and the motor is at the max limit of temp... I see no possible improovement in term of power.

Size 8 controller would be too much for the battery but maybe that the extra battery to get the 12.5kWh nominal would be ok... that is about 125Ah and with the size 6 it's about 5.3C...

anyway the 75-7 motor can probably  not take more current.

But the question remain.. .How the hell can that little 14mm carbon belt hold that torque!!!    The motor is doing 106 ft-lbs and at the 30 tooth sproket  circunference that's about 850 pounds fo tension !!! :o

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon
Pages: [1] 2