• March 28, 2024, 04:19:36 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Zeros will never be stolen  (Read 5275 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Zeros will never be stolen
« on: November 01, 2013, 03:21:35 AM »

At least not according to Ride Apart.com.  They list any electric motorcycle as one of their "10 Motorcycles that will never be stolen" - apparently because no thief would know what to do with one.  The Zero XU gets center stage as an example of an electric motorcycle.    :(

http://rideapart.com/2013/10/10-new-motorcycles-wont-ever-get-stolen/2/
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 03:26:19 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
Re: Zeros will never be stolen
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 04:46:59 AM »

Perhaps for your average thief but there is such a thing as a theft-to-order, sometimes to be sent overseas where recovery is unlikely.  There are also opportunistic thieves who may throw anything that looks valuable into the back of a truck and just discard it if it proves difficult.  You may get your bike back but that's little consolation.

This is very much on my mind as I received my FX yesterday!  Is there even a fork lock in the ignition switch?  (Edit -- Yes, found it this morning.)  I need to get a chain or lock I can easily carry around, and a disc lock.  I feel safe at work and home, but not everywhere...  (I have a D ring fixed to my garage floor with 5/8", 6" long anchors with the nuts welded to the studs.  Paranoid much?  I did have the gas siphoned from my truck a few weeks ago!  Ah, East San Jose.)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 01:52:02 AM by LiveandLetDrive »
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 05:49:58 AM »

The newer XU models look a lot more worthy of the effort to steal than the old one in the article.   Zero has made a lot of progress in the last few years.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 06:34:42 PM »

My assessment is similar.  Parking in NYC all the time my friends ask if I'm concerned about it getting stolen.  With the chargers mounted to the side, I figure a thief will look at it and not have any idea what the hell it is. 

Also, these bikes are so rare that if anyone tried to sell a stolen bike, it would probably be easy to find. 

I don't think of my bike being "steal-proof", just less likely to be stolen than a bike that has parts that are in higher demand.
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 11:16:02 PM »

Since I looked how to switch on my Sevcon while the bike is off to use the line contactor towards the battery I had to understand how the bike will use the ignition key
Now I always use the "steering lock" position ;) (at least)

I believe it is not likely one plan to steal a Zero but I do fear stupid vandalism!
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Zero.DS.Sweden

• View Profile
Zeros will never be stolen
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 08:10:59 PM »

My DS 2010 got stolen at home in Sweden before the summer! I could never dream of it but now I got a new S 2013 and has a big smile when I drive.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 09:12:58 PM »

They might steal it first, then figure out they don't know what to do with it later though, then just destroy it. I always lock mine when I'm out. Especially the smaller bikes are easiest to steal because they can pick it up and place it in a truck or van without even dealing with a lock too. If there were several thousand FXs around, I think you would find they would get stolen. There's a false sense of security in the low numbers in other words. My experience is that thieves steal anything not tied down. AF1 racing had a vintage e-bike stolen a couple years ago when someone broke out a window. It was light, electric, and I'm sure has never been run again both because the thief wouldn't know how to run it or fix it to run, and it would stand out like a sore thumb if you tried to sell it, get it fixed or ride it. Only thing they stole far as I know. It would have been the lightest bike in the store.....like an FX kind of.

Olav

• Custom Title
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, 09:51:47 PM »

Plus, it would be easy to steal the FX battery and get some money for it.
KTM E-XC Freeride

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 01:00:59 AM »

It's only a matter of time until they realize how much these batteries are worth.

When hang gliding was new we didn't have to cable lock our packed up gliders to the car top. It only took a couple of years until people started knowing what was in those long skinny bags, and they started getting stolen. >:(

Trikester

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 06:01:54 PM »

+1 Trike
The battery is the target and there will be little link between battery recovery and motorcycle theft reports so the chance of getting a parted out Zero battery back is probably.... Zero.
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

zap mc

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 04:08:54 PM »

I remember this...
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/press-releases/nov-2009-missing.html

most stolen bikes get broken up for parts and sold that way
new battery pack for $1000 sir? ...

manlytom

• View Profile
    • Fans of Zero MC for Australia - pls support
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 07:38:53 PM »

My DS 2010 got stolen at home in Sweden before the summer! I could never dream of it but now I got a new S 2013 and has a big smile when I drive.

just how did they steal it ? did they kick start the motor, push the bike to start it ? Seems thiefs in Sweden are very intelligent about stealing and electric ... but no clue about resale ....
Tom
bikes: Kreidler RMC, Kawasaki Z650, Honda VT600, Zero 2010S, Harley XL1200 roadster, Zero 2011S -- all of them sold, Zero 2014S -- sadly written off, HD Livewire 2020
http://www.facebook.com/ZeroElectricMoto

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »

Responding late but I thought it was funny at least for me.  This is a Youtube video of a security camera and someone..one, two, three in the minivan with a motorcycle and off they go.  Now this is in New York and the bike was a 600cc so about 600 to 800lbs.  Quite easily stolen if you think about it.

Honda CBR600RR 2007 STOLEN!

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2014, 07:34:49 AM »

Responding late but I thought it was funny at least for me.  This is a Youtube video of a security camera and someone..one, two, three in the minivan with a motorcycle and off they go.  Now this is in New York and the bike was a 600cc so about 600 to 800lbs.  Quite easily stolen if you think about it.

More like 440 lbs.

dc5dd

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2014, 05:37:12 PM »

@nicktulloh Thanks for the correction I saw somewhere that it was about 600 lbs must be a 1000cc
Pages: [1] 2