• April 25, 2024, 10:24:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: '12 S ZF6 - Power loss at lower battery levels  (Read 1601 times)

kcoplan

• View Profile
'12 S ZF6 - Power loss at lower battery levels
« on: October 31, 2013, 07:45:13 PM »

Rarely let my '12 S ZF6 get below 6 bars, so I never really noticed a relationship between battery level and power until this week when I ran the batteries down on a long ride and noticed substantially less pep.  Now that I am paying attention, seems like a pretty direct relationship between torque/top speed and battery level.  At 8-12 bars, top speed is "94" (quotes because the speedo exaggerates), at around 7 bars top speed is down to "80", and below 5 bars top speed drops to a sluggish "70."  All with a corresponding drop on acceleration and pep.

Anyone else notice this?  Is it a feature (controller saves the batteries when you are getting low to extend the range)?  Or a bug (partially charged batteries just can't put out the amps needed for top torque)?

-Karl

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
Re: '12 S ZF6 - Power loss at lower battery levels
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »

Its most likely due to the total pack voltage.
The maximum RPM a motor can achieve is related to voltage, so as the battery pack is used up and the total voltage drops then the top speed would be expected to fall.
This would also affect the acceleration as well.
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 10:15:18 PM »

I agree. Permanent magnet motors are rated in RPM / Volt. However, I have not noticed the drop with Batt voltage because I'm not usually running anywhere top speed. I'm a distance guy not a speed guy (although speed is fun!).

Trikester

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 11:06:50 PM »

At 8-12 bars, top speed is "94" (quotes because the speedo exaggerates), at around 7 bars top speed is down to "80", and below 5 bars top speed drops to a sluggish "70."  All with a corresponding drop on acceleration and pep .

I've noticed.   What temp is your pack Karl?

When my pack is at 70-80F, my ZF6 is similar to yours.
When my pack is at 30-40F, wow - At 6 bars top speed is 65-70 (no qoutes, I cal'd my speedo).   In the 2-4 bar range top speed is a meager 55.
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 05:34:31 AM »

Temp was 40s or 50s when I noticed.

ivaniclixx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 12:11:52 AM »

Hi guys.

I have a an S, 2012 ZF9 model. I currently have like 10.000 Km in odometer (6200mi).
I only have noticed that degradation of top speed when battery is low, like half or less of bars.

My question is, how do you check temperatures?

ColoPaul

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 06:52:40 AM »

Hi Ivan,
  So the temperatures Karl and I were referring to were ambient - I am guessing you're curious about actual pack and/or motor temperatures.   These temperatures are available on a 2012 if you have special equipment for reading the CAN bus or 232 port.   On the 2013 you can get them through the smart phone interface (I think).
2012 S ZF6    03 BMW K1200GT

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2013, 11:13:17 PM »

On the 2013 you can get them through the smart phone interface (I think).

Yes you can get motor and battery temps. However, I don't think the Sevcon temp is available on the smart phone. I would like to be able to monitor that on my e-trike conversion, since the location is obviously different than Zero's. I keep forgetting to put my hand on it at the top of a long steep climb, so I have no idea how hot it's getting.

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2013, 11:49:26 PM »

Hello Trikester,

I know at least one person at this Forum - he has developed a µ-controller project to read the CAN data at his 2012.

I don't know how much you in µ-controllers, but if you really like to built a CAN data system for displaying the temperature ...
I guess he would share information how he did this.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

ivaniclixx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2013, 04:26:43 PM »

Hi Ivan,
  So the temperatures Karl and I were referring to were ambient - I am guessing you're curious about actual pack and/or motor temperatures.   These temperatures are available on a 2012 if you have special equipment for reading the CAN bus or 232 port.   On the 2013 you can get them through the smart phone interface (I think).

I see. I appreciate you answer; thank you.

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2013, 11:03:06 PM »

On the 2013 you can get them through the smart phone interface (I think).

Yes you can get motor and battery temps. However, I don't think the Sevcon temp is available on the smart phone. I would like to be able to monitor that on my e-trike conversion, since the location is obviously different than Zero's. I keep forgetting to put my hand on it at the top of a long steep climb, so I have no idea how hot it's getting.

Trikester

Controller temp is available on the App.  I race with Power in the center, Motor temp, battery temp, controller temp and State of Charge in the corners.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2013, 12:34:50 AM »

[quoteController temp is available on the App.  I race with Power in the center, Motor temp, battery temp, controller temp and State of Charge in the corners.][/quote]

Thanks Biff. I had not seen it when I was setting up my iPod screen. What would you say is a realistic max for the controller temp?

Trikester
Pages: [1]