• April 26, 2024, 08:36:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Winter storage  (Read 8267 times)

kensiko

• View Profile
Winter storage
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:24:02 AM »

Is it all right to let a zero S in a unheated garage during winter? It's getting below -22 Fahrenheit here sometimes.

Is it better to keep the battery plugged-in? I know Zero recommend to always let it plugged-in, but is it a necessity for extreme cold temperature?
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Re: Winter storage
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 09:24:17 AM »

You are in Quebec like me... Never let you zero at outdoor temp during winter!

5.Keep your Zero S/DS connected to the charger when your motorcycle is sitting in storage or if it will be sitting unused for more than 7 days.
The power pack must be charged within 24 hours if fully discharged, and charged within 60 days if stored fully charged. Zero recommends that you plug in your Zero motorcycle after 7 days even if charged. Please leave your Zero motorcycle plugged in whenever possible.

Out of the normal temperature range charging and run-time times will vary. The power pack should not be used outside of the range of  -7°C - 71°C (20°F - 160°F); the Battery Management System (BMS) will turn off the motor controller outside of this range.

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 09:44:41 AM »

Here is the official recommendation from Zeros site:

http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/owner-resources/Guidelines-for-Hot-and-Cold%20Weather-Operation-SV-ZMC-012-050.pdf

Best scenario is to put it in your living room if you live where it is cold. 
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 11:36:22 PM »

Could you hook up a small loft heater and leave it next to the bike when it gets really cold?

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 01:45:34 AM »

I would try to use some electric floor heating foil and laminate it to the sides of the battery case. Maybe if it would fit on the inside of the battery case and connect it to the AC connection of the bike.
Regulate it via a thermostat and you have automatic battery heating while plugged in.

http://www.thermogroupuk.com/underfloor-heating/thermofoil-under-laminate-heating.html

Crazy idea or doable?
Once you go EV, gas is history!

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 05:52:34 AM »

Seriously, one of the great things about an electric motorcycle is that you can put it in your house in the winter.   No gas or oil smell and then you have a motorcycle IN your house.   What is better than that?    :)
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 04:21:57 PM »

Seriously, one of the great things about an electric motorcycle is that you can put it in your house in the winter.   No gas or oil smell and then you have a motorcycle IN your house.   What is better than that?    :)

How big is your house?  When I have my push bike in the house for the winter I have to climb over it to open the window. lol.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »

I have space in the house, in fact I had my DRZ400S once in the basement. But now the space in the basement is almost all used by a child care center by my wife, not sure she will appreciate having a moto in there again.

I'll think about it, I may put a heater for cold temperatures.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 07:10:31 PM »

A heater with a big cardboard box around the bike should do a good job, I just have to be sure the temp will not be too high, not sure how those batteries explode  ::)
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 08:32:35 PM »

I have space in the house, in fact I had my DRZ400S once in the basement. But now the space in the basement is almost all used by a child care center by my wife, not sure she will appreciate having a moto in there again.

I'll think about it, I may put a heater for cold temperatures.

The day care kids would love having a motorcycle as a play structure.    ;D
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 11:25:26 PM »

I just have to be sure the temp will not be too high, not sure how those batteries explode  ::)

I wouldn't be afraid of batteries explode I would be afraid of setting the cardboard on fire!

Maybe I have space in the house but my entrance will be to small and upwards a stairway!
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2013, 12:14:47 AM »

Directly heating the batteries with a DIY contact heater, you'd better be damned confident in your skills  It doesn't take much over 100ºC (cell temp) to start a runaway.  So I'm going to rank that as "crazy."

Just point a space heater at it on low, it doesn't take much Wattage to maintain a moderate temperature when it's continuous.  I did the same for my gas bike that got finicky about starting when cold, I actually put a space heater on one of those lamp timers and had it kick on a couple hours before I left in the morning.  No flammable cardboard box necessary.  More waste without direct contact but it allows the bike much more latitude to self regulate its temperature.
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2013, 12:21:13 AM »

This is why I suggested a loft heater, they are designed to tick over at a low temperature to keep the loft space above dew point.   Maybe you call it something different over the pond?

Something like this sat under the bike would do the job fine.  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tubular-Heater-120w-Flex-Plug/dp/B001HAQQ7I#productDetails

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2013, 02:56:33 AM »

My bike is always outside, no indoor parking possible. I have a rain cover but that's it.

Using the loft heater outside without any wind shielding will be useless. Any heat will be blown away before it reaches the battery enclosure.
This is why I think the thin floor heating foil directly on the enclosure is better. Inside the enclosure would be even better but is more tricky and risky.

I hope 2014 models will have heating when the bike is plugged in like the Brammo Empulse.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2013, 01:06:18 AM »

My bike is always outside, no indoor parking possible. I have a rain cover but that's it.

Using the loft heater outside without any wind shielding will be useless. Any heat will be blown away before it reaches the battery enclosure.
This is why I think the thin floor heating foil directly on the enclosure is better. Inside the enclosure would be even better but is more tricky and risky.

I hope 2014 models will have heating when the bike is plugged in like the Brammo Empulse.

I was suggesting it to the OP.  Using  a heater outside would undo all your hard work of riding a zero emission vehicle anyway.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4