• April 26, 2024, 12:28:22 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Just got a XU LSM 2011  (Read 2761 times)

Noxx

• View Profile
Just got a XU LSM 2011
« on: October 17, 2013, 08:57:24 AM »

Hey  :)

I wanted a 2012 XU LSM but a great offer came up locally for a 2011.

About me: I'm 23 yo, living in Qc, Canada, business owner and studying in chemical engineering. I never had a motorcycle, but I love it!

So far I like it very much and the range is better than I anticipated.

About the bike: It has 33km and the battery was replaced 2km ago on warranty. Basically brand new and I still have warranty until next summer.

I always like to mod my toys. In the past, I've learned how to work on petrol cars (Lotus, BMW, etc). And now it's turn for electric !

My mod list for now (only been driving for two days):

-Remove some stickers
There are way too much stickers on the bike for my taste. No need to stick three times per side the word 'Zero'...

-Oil the chain
Not sure when that was performed last. A little oil can't hurt.

-Add HID headlight
I find the headlight to be mediocre at best. Some HID bi-xenon will do. I just have to find something that fits. I'll keep you tuned of my progress.

-Add Hella DualTone Horns
I had this on the Lotus and it made a difference. This bike is so silent that I feel the need to have a better horn.

-Change the tires + brake pads
Nothing bad about the tires, but they don't grip enough for me.

-Change brake oil
It's two years old, time for a change.

-Add a small windshield
Nothing too big, I just want less aero drag.

And eventually, I think that I'll attempt to mess with the gearing to get greater top speed. I have boulevards here that are 70 kph and the bike tops at 62 kph. I would love to get 10 kph more.

If the opportunity comes (and skills), I will swap the 2011 motor and battery to get to 2012 specs.

Thanks!

hungff77

• View Profile
Re: Just got a XU LSM 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:22:02 AM »

congrats to your new bike. You may want to check out this thread about unlock the LSM
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2804.0

I also got a 2011 XU, but luckily my is an unlock one but still registered at LSM. Right now, I am looking at battery and way to increase its range. I did contact Zero once, but have no reply from them yet.

Frankie from Vancouver, BC

Justin Andrews

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 02:10:47 PM »

-Oil the chain
Not sure when that was performed last. A little oil can't hurt.

Thats not a mod. Thats something you do reguarly...  ;)
If you are looking for a good chain mod, then look up Scot-Oilers
http://www.scottoiler.com/uk/products/vsystem-kit.html

Also, buy a chain breaker, trust me. Garages charge the earth for a chain change, and chain changes are a trivial job. But they are nearly impossible without a decent chain breaker.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 02:13:42 PM by Justin Andrews »
Zero 2015 SR (+PT);
Yamaha Diversion 900

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 02:43:10 PM »

If road use only convert it to belt.

eyeinsky

• View Profile
    • Elevation Aerial Operation
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 04:33:37 AM »

No need to unlock the MBB just install the 61T sprocket or you can do like I have, make a 15T front sprocket verses the stock 13T frt sprocket. this would give you the rated 75 to 80 km speed.

here's some details:  http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3051.0

Enjoy the bike! let me know what your range is. I get about 20 to 22 km out of mine.

Thanks Jerry

Noxx

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 11:11:07 PM »

Thanks for the replies :P

Also, is it possible to get regen braking on this 2011 ? I know that the 2012 have it but is it possible to retro fit ?

No need to unlock the MBB just install the 61T sprocket or you can do like I have, make a 15T front sprocket verses the stock 13T frt sprocket. this would give you the rated 75 to 80 km speed.

I don't know... Theoretically, it would increase the top speed, however it seems that I top at approx 65 kph on a straight road because the motor can't overcome the air resistance. Perhaps I should install a small wind deflector.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 11:44:14 PM »

Also, is it possible to get regen braking on this 2011 ? I know that the 2012 have it but is it possible to retro fit ?

I think that the 2011 uses the same motor as my 2010 DS. If so, it is a series wound motor and not a permanent magnet motor. Therefore, it would not convert to generating power when coasting, since there would be no field magnetism, unless there is enough residual to start the process. Then it might work.

I added an HID headlight to my 2010 DS and my 2012 DS. However, there is only room for the single level bulb so I set it up between high beam position and low beam. When I switch to low beam I have no light, which is good for saving power when riding in deserted areas with no opposing traffic etc. I have done done this HID mod on my 2013 FX, however. To me the 2013 headlight enclosure looks like it's too small to do the mod like I did on the other two bikes.

Trikester

eyeinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 02:14:47 AM »

Thanks for the replies :P

I don't know... Theoretically, it would increase the top speed, however it seems that I top at approx 65 kph on a straight road because the motor can't overcome the air resistance. Perhaps I should install a small wind deflector.

Its got not so much to do with wind, more so motor rpm and max amp setting. if you change the drive ratio the bike goes faster, current limiting will maintain your rate of torque. if you increase the max current you still will hit the max rpm limit wont go any faster just get there sooner. Down side more heat less range.

Jerry

eyeinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 02:28:19 AM »

I think that the 2011 uses the same motor as my 2010 DS. If so, it is a series wound motor and not a permanent magnet motor. Therefore, it would not convert to generating power when coasting, since there would be no field magnetism, unless there is enough residual to start the process. Then it might work.

I added an HID headlight to my 2010 DS and my 2012 DS. However, there is only room for the single level bulb so I set it up between high beam position and low beam. When I switch to low beam I have no light, which is good for saving power when riding in deserted areas with no opposing traffic etc. I have done done this HID mod on my 2013 FX, however. To me the 2013 headlight enclosure looks like it's too small to do the mod like I did on the other two bikes.

Trikester

This is a perm motor but brushed here a link to the spec; http://www.evdrives.com/product_p/mot-me0810.htm

to go regen brake you will need speed control with braking. http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=3027.msg14728#msg14728

Noxx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 03:40:43 AM »

Ahhh I see...

Also, is the motor controller easily re-programmable ? Let say that I want it to push a few dozen more Amps ?

eyeinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 05:48:09 AM »

Ahhh I see...

Also, is the motor controller easily re-programmable ? Let say that I want it to push a few dozen more Amps ?

Check here: http://alltraxinc.com/Products_ControllerPro.html

Noxx

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 02:18:07 AM »

Now that I've put 200km on it in a week, I can comment a bit more:

-The range was always fine for me, I never went under 3 bars. I always ride in Sport Mode.

-I had some fun in the woods too :P

-I've ridden in lower temps (5 Celcius) and the range wasn't affected as much as I thought.

-I feel the need to have 10 kph more top speed.

eyeinsky

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 04:23:51 AM »

How many km to get to 3 bars?  the last 3 bars go fast.  ;) 15 tooth sprocket will give you extra 10 kph. Do you have a "Princess Auto" there?  You can make these drive sprocket from part they have sell.

Jerry

craigster

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2019, 04:17:44 AM »

How many km to get to 3 bars?  the last 3 bars go fast.  ;) 15 tooth sprocket will give you extra 10 kph. Do you have a "Princess Auto" there?  You can make these drive sprocket from part they have sell.

Jerry

these Agni Motors have 19mm shafts, were you able to find something to work? or did 3/4" hub sprockets work just fine?

Pages: [1]