• March 29, 2024, 01:16:46 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fitting heated grips  (Read 2220 times)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Fitting heated grips
« on: October 10, 2013, 03:24:16 PM »

I tried to get the Zero heated grips last year but they were out of stock.  I will probably just buy a set from the local shop instead ready for this winter but I wanted to find out how to connect them up.

They usually come with rings on the cable ends but as there is no 12V battery I wonder how to do it?  I have the 12V accessory socket but I don't really want a large cigarette lighter plug sticking out all the time.  When you go to buy the Zero grips it says the 12V accessory kit is required so I imagine there is a spare connector somewhere under the tank?   The weather has been to poor lately I havent been able to take the cover off to have a look.

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: Fitting heated grips
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 11:21:37 PM »

I am not sure what Zero you ride, the 2012DS/S has a connector under the tank I don't know what the connector type is.

Personally I have cut mine and installed a "small" 12V plug.

You have the accessory socket why don't you tap the wires of your accessory socket cable so you wouldn't be as harsh to your Zero as I am.
You should use big enough cables and isolate the tapping point serious!

I normally solder the taped cable and use a "Self Amalgamating Tape" its like rubber and "melt" together when you wrap it.

There are tap connectors I have attached a photo but only for <20A current!!
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 05:35:27 AM »

I have that heated grip kit but i wonder if the plastic tube that is on the throttle assembly side and under the rubber grip can take that heat without softening or melting?

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile
https://youtu.be/iVMPBnfhukM
T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 06:31:37 PM »

Oxford makes heated grips that include the grip tubes themselves - really easy to install -  just slide the old tubes off and slide on the new ones.  Zero just marks up and resells the Oxfords, as I understand it.

Karl

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 03:07:53 AM »

Well I bought some Oxford heated grips today.  Started by removing the little top panel over the fuses to find where the 120W accessory socket connects to the loom but its an obscure connector so decided I will just wire the grips to use the 12V socket itself.  Its not as pretty but its more convenient and I won't need to modify the bike at all.

The major problem is that the grips physically don't fit onto the bar!  I make it about 0.5mm difference in diameter, so as my dealer is also an engineering firm im hoping they can help me out by skimming some plastic out of the tubes or turning down the bar.  I am guessing this is because America is still living in the past and refusing to use a sensible system for their units of measurement?

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 07:03:07 AM »

I don't like heated grips. I found the outside of my hands still got cold.

Barkbuster-type guards work almost as well. Most of the cold is windchill anyway.

Heated gloves for extreme cold.

vitaminC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 08:45:21 AM »

The major problem is that the grips physically don't fit onto the bar!  I make it about 0.5mm difference in diameter, so as my dealer is also an engineering firm im hoping they can help me out by skimming some plastic out of the tubes or turning down the bar.  I am guessing this is because America is still living in the past and refusing to use a sensible system for their units of measurement?

Did you use any lube? I've had success in the past with a bit of dish soap mixed in water, then once it dries you're all set. For obvious reasons, the fit should be pretty tight.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 03:39:54 PM »

Lube wouldn't help, its a solid plastic tube and its too small.  Where i have tried to get it on the knurling on the bar has actually filed away the plastic, not just just scratched it.

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 08:03:54 PM »

Hmmm . . . I really dont remember having that problem when I installed Oxford heated grips on my "S."  I wonder if they make different sizes?  I seem to remember just sliding them on -- they were just hard enough to slide on that I did not even consider using superglue like they recommended.  It has been a year now, so maybe I got out some sandpaper and just forgot about having done so  . . . but I dont think so.

---Karl

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 02:44:14 AM »

Hmmm . . . I really dont remember having that problem when I installed Oxford heated grips on my "S."  I wonder if they make different sizes?  I seem to remember just sliding them on -- they were just hard enough to slide on that I did not even consider using superglue like they recommended.  It has been a year now, so maybe I got out some sandpaper and just forgot about having done so  . . . but I dont think so.

---Karl

Are you in the states?  My theory is that oxford sell metric grips over here and Imperial grips over there.

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 02:42:50 AM »

---Karl

Are you in the states?  My theory is that oxford sell metric grips over here and Imperial grips over there.

That's pretty funny.

How about hairspray? That works with regular grips.

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 12:21:49 AM »

Yeah, I am in the states.  So that could be the answer.

--Karl
Pages: [1]