• March 29, 2024, 01:20:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2013 FX & e-Trike dirt ride data - Utah USA  (Read 1182 times)

trikester

• View Profile
2013 FX & e-Trike dirt ride data - Utah USA
« on: October 05, 2013, 02:46:39 AM »

Here is the data from two 2013 FX rides and one e-Trike ride that followed the same route as one of the FX rides. The FX and e-Trike similar rides were different conditions. On the day between the two rides big thunderstorms created more erosion for the trike ride and a high headwind on the morning of the trike ride. Light winds on the day of the FX ride. Because of this, the moving average speed for the trike was lower than the FX ride.

I went back to using total battery recharge kWh to determine Wh/Mi for each ride because I found the Bluetooth Wh/Mi data to be completely unreliable with no relationship to other data. So this includes charger & battery recharging losses. I used the battery remaining % to determine maximum miles I could have gone on each ride. Total miles and average moving speed were from GPS. Kwh meter on AC for recharge. Bluetooth for battery % remaining data.

2013 FX, Valley of the Gods to Muley Point & back
Total miles: 52.2
Elev. gain & loss: 2,000 ft (all in 3 miles), 4% recovered charge on descent.
Terrain: dirt road with frequent up & down, light wind, temp: upper 70's
Trip moving average speed: 17.9 mph
Batt. remaining: 34% = max miles: 79.1
Bars showing: 3
Wh/Mi (using recharge): 70.115 (this is 16% better than my 2012 DS on the same ride in 2012).
Recharge: 3.66 kWh

e-Trike, Valley of the Gods to Muley Point and back
Total miles: 52.3
Elev. gain / loss: 2,000 ft (all in 3 miles), 4% recovered charge on descent.
Terrain: rough, newly eroded, dirt road, frequent up & down, strong headwind going out, temp: upper 60's
Trip moving average speed: 15.6 mph
Batt. remaining: 26% = max miles: 70.7
Bars showing: 1 red on MX dashboard
Wh/Mi (using recharge):79.541 (this is 13.4% more Wh/Mi than FX & a little better than my 2012 DS in 2012) this exceeds my expectations for the trike.
Recharge: 4.16 kWh

2013 FX, John's Canyon trail
Total miles: 32
Elev. gain / loss: insignificant
Terrain: very rough 4WD "jeep trail", newly eroded, rocky, up & down, constant on & off throttle, windy
Trip moving average speed: 10.9 mph
Batt. remaining: 56% = max miles: 72.7
Bars showing: not recorded
Wh/Mi (using recharge): 74.125
Recharge: 2.48 kWh

Trikester
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:23:52 PM by trikester »

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: 2013 FX & e-Trike dirt ride data - Utah USA
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 06:32:38 AM »

Nice work capturing data AND conditions!

Quick note: you list Wh/mi in units of mi for the first FX entry, probably a typo.

Pretty impressive the trike used that little power more, in what seems like rougher conditions. Have you weighed the trike vs the FX?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 11:45:14 PM »

Thanks for pointing out the Wh/Mi typo. I have corrected it.

I haven't weighed the trike. I would like to do that but I don't have a scale capable of doing the job, even one scale moved from wheel to wheel, and the readings summed, would be good enough.

I was surprised by the performance of the trike, I thought its mileage would be worse than it was. What was the greatest surprise was that it was slightly better than my 2012 DS 6. I think that can be attributed mostly to the change in motors between 2012 & 2013 (maybe less IR drop in the battery also). Just as I have been pleasantly surprised by the FX surpassing the '12 DS.

I have ordered new front tires for the trike that are still dual-sport but have a more pavement like tread (rated 80% road, 20% dirt). That should improve the mileage even more.

It is unfortunate that weather and road conditions changed so much. I had intended to do the rides on consecutive days but the day after the FX ride dawned with lightning storms all over the place and those conditions lasted through most of the day. The headwind on the trike early in the day felt like I was doing 50 instead of 15. Then it dropped some later so that I didn't have the advantage of the same strong tailwind on the return ride.  :'(

I remember a out and return bicycle ride where I had a headwind both ways, at least it didn't do that switch.  :o

Trikester
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:36:42 AM by trikester »

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 11:29:40 PM »

To quote a song: "The road goes on forever and the party never ends".

Trikester
Pages: [1]