• April 23, 2024, 02:03:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Chain or Belt for the FX  (Read 5544 times)

Fgauthier

• View Profile
Chain or Belt for the FX
« on: September 16, 2013, 11:55:42 PM »

Hi, I in the process of getting a new 2013 FX5.7 and planning to use the bike 75% on trail like in HOV trails  Holister , CA. With a level of difficulty ranging from Blue to Black diamond with lots of loose rocks and some bushed ... Would it make more sense to convert to a chain drive system? Also, Any impact for street riding?

Side Questions,
1. how many hrs of normal riding (not too aggressive) can I expect. I usually ride about 30 miles in 4 hrs or so
2. What can I expect if I use only 1 battery instead of 2 to reduce the weight in terms of power. Could I still climb steep hills?

Thanks for your help. This is a great forum

grindz145

• Rollin on E-
    • View Profile
Re: Chain or Belt for the FX
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 12:37:52 AM »

One of the main disadvantages of a belt drive is that foreign objects can get embedded into it (rocks, etc) and can ruin the belt/sprockets. If you're doing hardcore offroad stuff, the chain might make more sense. I wouldn't spend the money until you prematurely eat up a belt first though, unless you can get the chain for roughly the same price. There's no guarantee the belt will get destroyed, but for off-road applications they're usually not used. Hopefully you didn't already know all of this :D

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 01:12:04 AM »

There is (reportedly) no impact in torque from using 1 battery instead of 2 until about 45 mph or so .. ie should be no difference for off-roading. Using a single battery will also reduce your weight by around 45 pounds.

Trikester can probably answer for the range - I think he said he was seeing around 65 Wh/mile in trail riding, which would represent a range of approximately 38 miles with 1 battery, or 76 miles with 2 battery modules.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Fgauthier

• View Profile
Chain or Belt for the FX
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 08:42:47 PM »

Thanks for the info. One more question, beside noise level, any impact of a chain vs belt for high speed riding on streets? Max speed? Etc.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 09:02:57 PM »

Probably just maintenance, noise, and durability.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Fgauthier

• View Profile
Chain or Belt for the FX
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »

Is a belt more "durable" than Chain", is maintenance just cleaning and oil?. Thanks again for your help. I am new to belt drive. I do rides dirt bikes however

Biff

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 12:25:38 AM »

I would recommend you call Zero and talk to someone who knows about both solutions to help you decide what is best for you.

-ryan
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 12:48:05 AM by Biff »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 02:59:25 AM »

For street riding I would say that a belt is more durable than a "heavy duty" non-O ring chain, but not as durable as a good quality O ring-type chain.  For riding in the dirt, you probably want to use a chain, as (as previously mentioned) it doesn't take much to damage a belt if debris gets between the cog wheel and the belt teeth.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 07:46:40 PM »

Protomech has my mileage experience pretty much spot-on. Some dirt rides I've used a little more power so I guess it depends on terrain. However, I am a dirt cruiser, not a fast rider. That said, I do ride all kinds of trails and terrain and a lot of desert sand and rock. The western US has a lot of choices for that riding.

On the chain vs belt issue I ride much more dirt than pavement so I converted my 2012 DS and my 2013 FX to chain drive before I ever rode them. I'm a firm believer in not using a belt in rocky terrain (it's hard to find any dirt rides that don't have small rocks). One rock under the belt and you're pushing home. The 520 chain that the 2013 FX conversion uses can actually crush small rocks but we always hope it never has the opportunity to do that. I think that a small rock has less tendency to stay perched on a bouncing chain than on a tight belt (just my theory).

Trikester

emotofreak

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 11:46:22 PM »

I have ridden both. Here's my 2 cents.

If you are going to ride aggressively, perform any significant jumping, or go far from civilization, you want the chain. But it is definitely noisy.

If you are going to just cruise, the belt is fine. But even during a mellow ride you can suck in a branch or debris and derail or break your belt. Take a spare, especially if you are going to be far from civilization.

Personally, I'm not that aggressive a rider, and the experience offered by a silent bike with the belt drive is just surreal. But if I was going out solo, far from anyone/anything else, I might consider a chain.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 11:44:39 AM »

Take a spare, especially if you are going to be far from civilization.

Good idea, but you have to remove the swing arm to change the belt :o
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

emotofreak

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 02:54:20 PM »

Oh, right, and a full tool kit.  :P
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:56:34 PM by emotofreak »

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 07:00:09 PM »

In real serious situations I've carried a chain-break tool, a short section of chain, and a couple of extra quick-links. Still a lot easier than removing the swinarm for a belt change. ;)

I always carry small pliers so I can remove the quick-link & chain if I'm in a situation where I'm going to have to push the bike a long way. Even though the bikes are not hard to push with the key off, it's even easier with the rear wheel not spinning the motor with its constant magnetic drag. That's another advantage to a chain drive.

I have a small tool box under the seat and thumb bolts to easily remove the seat. I also keep my registration and insurance card in the box. I fault Zero for not designing with a place for small tools and paperwork. Maybe these bikes don't require much work but I've had a mirror loosen while riding and some need for Allan wrenches.

Trikester

Fgauthier

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 11:20:08 PM »

Thanks you all for the info. I decided to go with a chain.

TargeT

• $.58 a kWh... and I ride electric?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 11:41:34 PM »

I've had a mirror loosen while riding and some need for Allan wrenches.

Trikester

Ive had to tighten mirrors twice, I ended up just removing one of them and leaving one.. .next time it goes loose on me I'm breakin out the loctite!
I wonder where I can charge my batteries from at work...
Pages: [1] 2