• April 25, 2024, 10:11:29 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: no charging, just lots of clicking  (Read 3400 times)

w34p0n2m4n

• View Profile
no charging, just lots of clicking
« on: September 11, 2013, 07:04:30 AM »

I was hoping someone had heard of this problem before. For no obvious reason (like any distinguishing event) my bike started ignoring the charger and just clicking non-stop.

When I plug it in the charge indicator never comes on. What happens is a lot of clicking. It sounds like maybe it's more than one thing because the clicking seems to go in and out of phase. The battery never spits out an error code, the indicators never show an error code, and the bluetooth app never pulls up an error code. It's like the bike doesn't even know it's plugged into the wall; something really early in the charging system is crapping out.

Anybody heard of anything like this?

BSDThw

• View Profile
Re: no charging, just lots of clicking
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:48:18 PM »

The idea why you here more than one clicking you have 4 chargers in your bike see attachment.

I guess they work in series so if one fails your bike never see the necessary voltage to start charging.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 04:45:39 PM »

My chargers click constantly once the bike is done charging. It's annoying but Zero told me just to deal with it. I'm assuming your bike still turns on and works properly? (Minus the not charging thing)

spelunker

• View Profile
no charging, just lots of clicking
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2013, 05:56:12 PM »

I had a similar problem. My bike would click but the charge indicator would flash quickly. It turned out to be a faulty fuse holder.

w34p0n2m4n

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 06:10:14 AM »

@DesignerDan Yeah, everything works, still drives, but it can't charge.

@BSDThw & spelunker I'm kind of assuming that something just came loose. The last problem I had was turn signals not working and the service guys said it was just a wire that disconnected itself from a relay.

Maybe if I open the bike up something will be obvious. Maybe not, but it would save a 70 mile drive to the dealer.

bumblebee

• 2013 Zero S
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 06:32:24 AM »

I had same problem.  Had to put it into the truck and drive it to the dealer, Will post what they find.
2013 Zero S
Shoei GT Air Helmet
Hit Air Jacket

Use to own Hodaka Road Toad and a 1965 Triumph Bonaville, also Honda 4cyln 650cc

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 08:11:35 AM »

The only recent charging issue I had since the updated firmware was one time a week ago, after a routine ride...not too long, not too hard, not too hot or cold... I plugged the bike in and instead of charging, it flashed a red warning. I just unplugged it, turned the bike on, right off again, plugged it in, and it charged fine.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 10:11:53 PM »

If anyone else's chargers click continuously after charging could you please post in this thread. It sounds like a contactor clicking.

I'm slightly concerned because if it's a contactor and it's just constantly clicking away for hours each day, wouldn't that drastically reduce the life of it? I will be pretty sad the day the chargers fail :(

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 12:55:19 AM »

The only time I experienced this clicking and flashing of the charge LED and no charge taking place was when I tried to use an 850W portable generator to power the 640W charger on my 2013 FX. Apparently the charging power source wasn't recognized by the on-board charger as being sufficient (even though it should have been). Have you tried something as simple as plugging into another outlet in case there is something causing an AC voltage drop in the one you used?

Trikester

Spenny818

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 01:42:04 AM »

My bike clicks after completing a full charge as well. Not nearly as loud as the contractor click when you power the bike on however. I'm not worried about it.

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 04:07:33 AM »

Have you tried something as simple as plugging into another outlet in case there is something causing an AC voltage drop in the one you used?

Trikester

Yes, it doesn't matter what outlet it is plugged into. It will ALWAYS start clicking away non stop once the charge is complete. It's kind of funny because I'll be working in my garage and all of the sudden I hear clicking coming from the bike and I think "cool the bike's done charging".

The bike didn't used to have this condition. It started doing it seemingly out of the blue within the first month of ownership.

Like I said, I just hope (if it is a relay making the noise) that it doesn't fail prematurely. Relays are usually rated in number of times they can be clicked on and off. For several hours every night, the relay(if it is a relay) is just constantly clicking away.

It clicks every 1.5 seconds. That's 40 clicks per minute. 2400 clicks per hour. It's clicking for about 5 hours each night. That's 12,000 clicks per day.

I've had the bike for over a year and ride it everyday: That's nearly half a million clicks  :-\

So if it is a relay, this is why I get a little concerned.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2014, 08:13:49 AM »

OK. My bike clicks after it is fully charged too. Never noticed it before tonight, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been doing it all the time. Seems like I would have noticed it though. I was just out in the garage adjusting a chain and heard tic, tic, tic coming from my Zero.

Update: Now the ticking has stopped. The BMS is in balancing mode with the 2 green followed by a single green light if that makes any difference with the ticking/clicking but it has been fully charged for 3 hours or so with a solid green light on the display.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:24:18 AM by dkw12002 »

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 08:56:09 PM »

No clicking on my bike, other than the contactor clicking once when plugging in the charger and clicking once when unplugging the charger.  During charging, all is quiet.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »

This ticking is quieter than the contactor, occurs about once every 1.2 seconds and only comes on when charging is complete. It also does not correspond with the BMS indicator lights.  Concurrent with that I had the unbalanced power pack lights...green light 2 and 4 flash, followed by green light 3 flashing on the BMS lights. Then clicking stopped on mine but also only the unbalanced power pack lights flashing...no full charge indication with 1red, 2,3,4green.  The manual says that pattern of lights can indicates an unbalanced power pack, so maybe that is the issue. When I did get the clicking I had run the bike pretty hard, but the clicking didn't occur until several hours later. It's a mystery what it is and why it occurs. Pretty sure it is not the contactor. Since this one episode I clicking, I have ridden and charged 3 times with no clicking and no unbalanced power pack lights showing, so if I had to guess, I would say the clicking was related to battery heat. Interesting to see what bms lights other people with clicking have.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:11:14 PM by dkw12002 »

bumblebee

• 2013 Zero S
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2014, 08:03:49 AM »

dealer says a new charge control board needed.  Its located below the battery.
2013 Zero S
Shoei GT Air Helmet
Hit Air Jacket

Use to own Hodaka Road Toad and a 1965 Triumph Bonaville, also Honda 4cyln 650cc
Pages: [1] 2