• March 29, 2024, 09:03:57 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bypassing Econ Switch  (Read 2546 times)

sflorlando

• View Profile
Bypassing Econ Switch
« on: September 05, 2013, 08:16:16 PM »

Any one know how the econ/sport switch is wired on a 2011 xu?

Since my econ switch is broken I tried to directly wire (bypass switch) the leads. There are three wires: half, sport, and comm.

I first tried connecting sport and comm together, which to my surprise stopped the throttle from working.  I originally thought I blew a fuse, fried something.  Disconnecting the sport comm connection everything worked correctly. 

I then tried connecting half and comm, which probably put it in econ mode.  Since I think the default is econ nothing changed.

Does anyone know what kind of switch it is?  My next test will be to combine all three together, but want to check before I try.

thanks

Ken

trikester

• View Profile
Re: Bypassing Econ Switch
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:29:45 AM »

Hmmm...........On the 2012 and 2013 ECO switch it is just two wires. When they are connected together it's in ECO mode and apart it's in SPORT mode. I don't know what is different about the 2011.

Trikester

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2013, 04:38:23 PM »

I suggest contact zero, Basic electrical wiring diagram should be made available for all models.
they should at least be able to explain how switch is wired. Is it still under warranty , try asking for replacement.

eyeinsky

• View Profile
    • Elevation Aerial Operation
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2013, 07:01:42 PM »

Love to get a wiring manual or any manual other than owner manual. Zero has to get off the high hoarse and start providing this stuff to the customer.

Jerry

sflorlando

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 05:25:06 AM »

Yes I agree.

The owners manual is way to basic.

sflorlando

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 01:09:40 AM »

Here is Supports answer below:

Hi Ken,
The sport wire isn’t used on this model.  The switch is basically as you’ve done (half and comm).  The comm wire is the common wire.  That said, the switch is basically an on/off or open/closed type switch.  If you get a switch similar to ours, the common will go on the negative side and the half on the other side (sport remains disconnected). 

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 10:47:35 PM »

So that's why I only have two wires on my 2012 and 2013 bikes, they eliminated the unused wire.

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2013, 11:45:54 AM »

Trikester since 2012 you have the Sevcon, it has a "Baseline" and 2 "Drivability" profiles. If you do noting it use Baseline this is your "SPORT" if you connect the chosen port for Driveability 1 it is ECO. (Driveability 2 is not activated)

Therefore Zero needs two lines and only an on/off-switch.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 08:08:01 PM »

Thanks for explaining that. I had overlooked the controller change when they went from brushed to brushless motors.

Trikester

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 03:27:34 PM »

Love to get a wiring manual or any manual other than owner manual. Zero has to get off the high hoarse and start providing this stuff to the customer.

Jerry

How many motorcycle manufacturers provide service manuals to their customers? I don't know of any, whenever I wanted one I had to bribe the dealer to sneak one out on a usb stick or find someone online who has done the same.

If i ran a company I certainly wouldn't want untrained owners working on my product whilst under warranty.  If someone balls it up and gets stranded at the side of the road it doesnt look good.

firepower

• Hanoi, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 05:40:40 PM »

Hayes and Clymer make sell service manuals for most motorcycle makes, as well as original oem service manuals.
If I was manufacturer I rather have someone do it properly by the manual than try do it by guessing or incorrectly.
I also downloaded oem manuals for my bikes as well as those I am interested, just to see how they are built and technology they use.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 11:47:58 PM »

Up until I bought the 2012 DS I had always received a hard copy owner's manual with any motorcycle I bought. I even received one from Zero with my 2010 DS. I suppose it will be a collector's item in the future. An owner's manual rarer than the motorcycle?  ;D

Most of my riding is out or range of internet and cell phone use. I used to put an owner's manual, for the machine I was taking out to ride, in my truck so I would have it there to refer to, in case I needed to. Can't do that anymore unless I want a bulky computer printout of over 100 pages. It seems to me to be a cost "drop in the bucket" per bike for a manufacturer to provide a compact owner's manual with each one.

Trikester

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 01:15:36 AM »

Jerry

How many motorcycle manufacturers provide service manuals to their customers? I don't know of any, whenever I wanted one I had to bribe the dealer to sneak one out on a usb stick or find someone online who has done the same.

If i ran a company I certainly wouldn't want untrained owners working on my product whilst under warranty.  If someone balls it up and gets stranded at the side of the road it doesnt look good.

You're kidding, right?

Triumph doesn't provide service manuals with each bike but you can certainly buy  them at the dealer if you want them.

I bought a new Mini two years ago and the first thing I did was buy a service manual even though I had three years of free service with it.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 03:48:27 PM »

Jerry

You're kidding, right?

Triumph doesn't provide service manuals with each bike but you can certainly buy  them at the dealer if you want them.

I bought a new Mini two years ago and the first thing I did was buy a service manual even though I had three years of free service with it.

I am talking about the official workshop manual.  I have never been able to get one without asking the dealer to pretend they need a spare.  They won't sell direct to the customer, not here at least.  Some manufacturers do things differently to others no doubt though.

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »

Jerry

You're kidding, right?

I am talking about the official workshop manual.  I have never been able to get one without asking the dealer to pretend they need a spare.  They won't sell direct to the customer, not here at least.  Some manufacturers do things differently to others no doubt though.

I'm talking about the official workshop manual too.

Where is 'here'?

Your comment about "untrained owners" is way off base. A number of new vehicles come with free service these days so there's really no reason to work on them before the warranty is up. My Triumphs didn't, and I did all prescribed service except the valve clearance checks and specifically did NOT violate warranty provisions. Clearly there's innumerable ways to screw things up and violate warranty but the verbiage is pretty clear about that. It should be up to the owner and I have yet to own a vehicle that I couldn't get a factory service manual for within a year.
Pages: [1] 2