• April 25, 2024, 04:39:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2013 Zero article in Motorcyclist magazine  (Read 901 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
2013 Zero article in Motorcyclist magazine
« on: September 03, 2013, 04:49:21 AM »

If you are interested in such things, there is a 3-page article, starting on page 40 of the October issue of Motorcyclist magazine, where each of six magazine staff ride the 2013 11.4 kWh Zero S and provide their comments.  Everyone was very impressed by the bike and enjoyed riding it.  The 2013 Zero S received 4.5 stars on their 5 star rating system.  However it lost half a star due to its high initial purchase price that they felt could not be recovered by its low maintenance and running costs, compared with a similar performing IC motorcycle. 
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

kensiko

• View Profile
Re: 2013 Zero article in Motorcyclist magazine
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 05:56:02 AM »

Price is still high, but it will definitely get lower in the next years, the main cost in the battery and mass production will continue to grow.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

grindz145

• Rollin on E-
    • View Profile
Re: 2013 Zero article in Motorcyclist magazine
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »

Thanks for posting, I just logged into my digital subscription and had a read. Since I've started getting the magazine digitally I always seem to forget I have new issue.

The article is really positive. However, motorcyclist has been really vanilla for a while IMO. I haven't read an overly critical review in years. That said, you can see the shift. I believe that everyone is really excited about the electric riding experience.

By my estimation, it takes about 40k miles to make up for the price differential currently. I understand that most people don't put that kind of mileage on a motorcycle, but in that case, why are you bothering to buy one at all? All the while there is less maintenance (in theory at least) to detract from the riding experience. I think that the cost of ownership premium is overstated, and the true costs to run a gas bike are often forgotten. Especially if you're the type to have your bike serviced at the dealer every time, which isn't a bad idea for many people. In the end, it's just hard to compare an electric bike side-by-side to a gas bike, especially on paper. They're just so different in so many ways.
Pages: [1]