• April 27, 2024, 09:01:25 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Is the 2013 S Givi Rack Kit a standard size?  (Read 5610 times)

jpaulus

• View Profile
Is the 2013 S Givi Rack Kit a standard size?
« on: August 28, 2013, 11:08:43 AM »

Does anyone know if the Givi Monokey Rack Kit is a standard size that can be purchased for less than the $400 (with markup) that Zero is asking?  I already have the cases.  Thanks.
http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=180

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Re: Is the 2013 S Givi Rack Kit a standard size?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:59:23 AM »

The rack itself is (like all racks) designed for a specific motorcycle model, which in this case is the 2013 Zero S and DS family. The case mounting points are Monokey, which means any Givi Monokey cases will fit the rack. The E-21s are good, but you can also fit larger cases. I actually have an adapter kit for Bag Connection's Aero cases, but the adapter kit works with any Monokey rack.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Zero.DS.Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 03:15:03 AM »

I have a side rack kit and the rack itself must be special design for Zero because of all the mounting points at the bike. Check out that you get all parts before start installing. Otherwise you get halfway and have to wait for parts. Turn extension cable and 2x M6 25 were missing in the package.

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 04:29:45 AM »

jpaulus,

The Side Case Rack Kit (10-05960) was custom designed by one of our engineers specifically for the 2013 Zero S and Zero DS.  It does have the standard Monokey hardware so you can use your own Monokey side cases.  Although we haven't tried them all at this point and you want to be careful you don't overload the motorcycle.

The Top Box Rack Kit (10-06921) was also custom designed for the 2013 Zero S and Zero DS.  In this case, you'd have to add your own universal adapter for use with Givi top boxes.  They have both a Monolock version that comes with the Top Case we offer or a Monokey version. Again, make sure you add a load you feel comfortable having behind you.

Zero.DS.Sweden - Sorry about that.  PM me if you still don't have everything.  Or post a picture if you've got it all installed now.

Regards,
aaronzeromoto
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 06:37:01 AM »

Thanks Aaron, that explains everything except for the $400 price point for the rack alone.  ;)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2013, 12:14:05 AM »

Thanks Aaron, that explains everything except for the $400 price point for the rack alone.  ;)

I think that's pretty easy to justify: They're operating at small scale. Givi racks don't come that much cheaper in general, anyway.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2013, 01:17:05 AM »

A quick google search shows many similar racks at less than half that price and none approaching $400.  Scale doesn't explain it if all such racks are custom.

Zero.DS.Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2013, 05:06:10 AM »

I agree that price is high at first look. I bougt top mounting from Zero and a separate Givi monolock box. You will need side rack mounting original and the addition price for the 2x side cases is OK. I am very satisfied with the topbox. Enough space for 2x quick chargers.

Zero.DS.Sweden

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2013, 05:08:31 AM »

Aaron - thanks but I think it will work out. Do you have any status on when the CHAdeMON is deliverable?

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 02:47:52 AM »

BrianTRice explains the issue on price best.  Of course, I will continue to work to get it reduced.

ZeroDSSweden - We have CHAdeMO. However, we've found issues in compatibility between CHAdeMO charging stations.  And our ability to test compatibility throughout Europe has been limited.  Given the cost and these challenges, we are trying to make sure customers are willing to deal with these complexities.  Have your local dealer reach out to me via our country managers in Europe if you are still interested and want to know more.  If you want to start another thread on CHAdeMO in Europe, I'd love some more details on which stations you look to use most often so we can prioritize our outreach to these vendors.

Thanks,
aaronzeromoto
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles

2016 Zero FXS
2007 Yamaha V Star

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 03:01:56 AM »

Aaron, what's the margin over cost on the racks? 

A value too high is simply another excuse for potential customers to exclude the Zero as a commuter option along with the high list price (and yes I know the long term savings in operation but new customers don't often think that way.)

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 03:10:03 AM »

Hi jpaulus,

Posting our margins and our dealer's margins is something I just can't do.  But you already knew I couldn't.  This wouldn't include the development and custom tooling costs anyway.  The side rack kits also include Givi Monokey mounting hardware.  I asked Givi.  They wouldn't share their margins with me either.  :(

I can say that all our accessories are really produced to help sell more motorcycles and not a profit center for us a this point.    I can also tell you that I am out of stock on these side rack kits and working hard to get more.

So I feel your pain and will continue to do what I can to get those prices down.
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles

2016 Zero FXS
2007 Yamaha V Star

jpaulus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 03:16:19 AM »

Aaron, so if all similar racks are custom then why are the Zero versions so much more than others?  Number ordered?

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 03:44:46 AM »

I still think BrianTRice had the best answer.  And I am not sure which racks you are comparing. 

I see the Wolfman Side Racks for BMW on Revzilla for MSRP $215, and for the KTM 690 for MSRP $289.99.  Moose Racing's Expedition Kit (which has a top rack integrated) is $409.  Givi advertises their Side Case Mounting Hardware for $234.  All of these I believe are more generic design with some specific elements for selected motorcycles.

I'll keep trying.  Your feedback certainly is appreciated.
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles

2016 Zero FXS
2007 Yamaha V Star

jpaulus

• View Profile
Pages: [1] 2 3