• April 25, 2024, 09:52:02 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: installattion of a bike alarm on a Zero  (Read 1763 times)

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
installattion of a bike alarm on a Zero
« on: August 27, 2013, 08:55:13 PM »

Hello,
I was wondering how to install a bike alarm on a Zero. To my understanding there is no more 12 volts when the bike is parked in off position. Maybe I have to make an alarm with its own 12 volt battery that will be recharged when running the bike ?
Any idea or realisation ?
Laurent

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
Re: installattion of a bike alarm on a Zero
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 12:10:45 PM »

I have a first self-response !!! After viewing this forum (Arfff, it's in french but to resume it's a chineese gadget but a very LOUD one !) http://www.fz6ride.com/t8155-alarme-moto-pas-cher-du-tout
where the links are broken I found these
http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140823053565&ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:FR:1123
and ordered it !!!

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 06:04:50 PM »

You might not want an alarm tied to the 12V lines - especially if obvious - as the 12V lines can be cut.

Xena makes a pretty popular lock that clamps to the front brake.
http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Bakersbread

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 07:37:49 AM »

I just ordered a 2013 ds one thibg u was planning on installing on this bike is a two way alarm. I bought this to use for work. Recently had someone kick my motorcycle over and totaled my sv1000s. Wanted an alarm so while at work I can know if anyone is messing with it.not worried about someone stealing it just good to know condition of bike. With the key off is there a way to use a relay to get a 12v output with power off or a series of relays (to reverse effect) with a dc to dc converter to drop to 12 volts. Or will this affect anything?

Bakersbread

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 03:36:50 AM »

Well no reply lol. Still waiting on my bike to show up. Anyone have wiring diagram /service manual. Ive been looking to find it but can't anywhere. Ive installed alarm/remote starts for almost 10 years so im sure ill find a way just be alot simpler if I had a wire diagram or someone who has already done this.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 04:41:58 PM »

I can only think of 2 ways of doing it.  First would be to run a DC-DC converter from BEFORE the contactor, so you would always have voltage when the bike is off.  However I only know the 2012 bike and I think the '13 uses solid state relays which may be inside each ZF module?

The easier way would be to run an auxilliary battery with a simple charger circuit running from the bikes main 12V supply.  It would only charge when the bike is switched on but a deep discharge 7AH gel cell like a fire alarm backup battery would run a bike alarm for days.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 09:47:25 PM »

Hello, I'm the one Who started this thread, with the same problem as you. Noise boy is absolutely right, I don't want to activate the DC/DC converter all the time, so the best would be a 12v battery for a car self powered alarm for example. Right now I haven't done it and I mainly don't know how to make a charging circuit. Any idea on that part ?
For now I'd just bought a 9v battery powered alarm, but I do have a 2 way pager motorcycle alarm ready to be installed !!!
Laurent

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 05:50:01 AM »

You won't need a charging circuit if the bikes voltage is high enough. Put the battery across the DC-DC output with a Schottky diode and resistor in series. Then connect your alarm across the battery with a diode. Obviously you need fuses on both as always.

The battery will just charge up to the voltage of the DC output, the diodes prevent the DC converter from pulling power back out of the battery and if the voltage of the battery falls very low, the resistor will limit the current it draws when you next switch the bike on.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 03:16:23 AM »

Nice explaination, thanks. I think I need to try different resistor value with an ampere meter then.
Laurent
Pages: [1]