• March 28, 2024, 04:16:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thoughts on 2013 Zero S gearing options: Torque or Speed?  (Read 4352 times)

LiveandLetDrive

• View Profile
    • If you must cage, cage well.
Re: Thoughts on 2013 Zero S gearing options: Torque or Speed?
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2013, 04:50:43 AM »

Also interested in those instructions for proper sprocket removal.

I used a two-arm puller with a metal block across the end of the motor shaft to protect it.  Silly that the sprocket is such a tight press fit, that's the only thing that prevented doing it with the motor in place.  My chain sprocket was a tight press and required pulling but just sanding the paint off the belt cog made it a slip fit and I'll do the same to the chain sprocket next time it goes back on.  It's already got a central bolt with Loctite and radial set screws, press fit is unnecessary.  A tabbed french lock, cotter pin, etc. would be better but Zero doesn't seem to like the normal (correct) methods.  Don't get me started on the swingarm nuts with set screws into the threads!!

I haven't done any ratio changes, just chain to belt on the FX (same ratio? didn't count, but has same top speed) so I can't comment on that aspect.  The FX's suspension components are sketchy enough I'll ride the Trumpet when I want to exceed 90.  I am content with the FX's torque and do cruise to work on the highway most days so I don't want to give up my 75-80mph usable top speed.  I spend about 7-8 miles on the highway from 77-83mph and in the recent cool weather only break 212*F in the last mile or so.
2013 Zero FX, 2005 Triumph Sprint ST, 2000 Triumph Tiger, 1970 Triumph T100R Daytona, 1970 Honda SL100  (Latter three for sale!)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2013, 05:32:14 AM »

If wheel spin is a difficult issue for you 2013 Zero owners, I will trade you my 12 DS ...   ;D

+1!! I have never heard anyone complain about having too much torque before.  If you have problems with wheel spin, just don't open the throttle as far.

(Digging up an old comment because I realized I had something to say about it, not personal) Well, as a 2013 owner in a wet climate (Seattle) I will say that torque has made me fishtail in normal traffic situations quite a bit, and having that extra buffer between twist of the wrist and enough torque to lose traction means a lot, ergonomically. It's all academic because we set this in our phone apps, but I would (if I cared) go in a speed-not-torque direction.

Also, honestly, the torque makes my girlfriend uncomfortable, and I didn't even use the bike in Sport mode with her on it! (I do love opening it up in sport mode on an open stretch of road, but it is a firm handshake with mortality, let's be honest, and I want to ride in my old age.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:34:21 AM by BrianTRice »
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2013, 09:35:10 AM »

gear for speed program for torque.

I wouldn't change how zero has mounted the sprocket though. There may be more to it than realized, but I'm not sure.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »

If wheel spin is a difficult issue for you 2013 Zero owners, I will trade you my 12 DS ...   ;D

+1!! I have never heard anyone complain about having too much torque before.  If you have problems with wheel spin, just don't open the throttle as far.

(Digging up an old comment because I realized I had something to say about it, not personal) Well, as a 2013 owner in a wet climate (Seattle) I will say that torque has made me fishtail in normal traffic situations quite a bit, and having that extra buffer between twist of the wrist and enough torque to lose traction means a lot, ergonomically. It's all academic because we set this in our phone apps, but I would (if I cared) go in a speed-not-torque direction.

Also, honestly, the torque makes my girlfriend uncomfortable, and I didn't even use the bike in Sport mode with her on it! (I do love opening it up in sport mode on an open stretch of road, but it is a firm handshake with mortality, let's be honest, and I want to ride in my old age.)

Im not sure I understand the problem Brian. Have you being riding for long? The beauty of electric bikes is that you only ever get the drive that you ask for.  You can crawl along from a stop at less than 1mph no problem at all.  Are you certain that you aren't just losing traction generally, rather than losing traction because of acceleration?

At low speeds the acceleration of even a 2013 bike is blunt compared to an ICE with its low gearing.  If the torque scares your girlfriend, don't use as much of it and accelerate gently.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2014, 03:36:26 AM »

Im not sure I understand the problem Brian. Have you being riding for long? The beauty of electric bikes is that you only ever get the drive that you ask for.  You can crawl along from a stop at less than 1mph no problem at all.  Are you certain that you aren't just losing traction generally, rather than losing traction because of acceleration?

At low speeds the acceleration of even a 2013 bike is blunt compared to an ICE with its low gearing.  If the torque scares your girlfriend, don't use as much of it and accelerate gently.

I've been riding motorcycles for 7 years now, on sport bikes, adventure bikes, and dirt bikes. The Zero DS has the highest torque to weight ratio I've dealt with.

I'll emphasize the central fact that underlies what I wrote, but I wasn't clear about it: I live in Seattle, where it rains a lot and the roads are not well maintained, and it's hilly. So I am often faced with a situation where I'm pulling from a stop, up hill in the rain on a corner with gravel on it, and if my Eco mode torque is set normally and I'm not extra careful, I will and have fishtailed. The bike is very easy to recover from this, but I don't like losing even a second of time dealing with traction if it means some idiot in a car is bearing down on me - I've been struck twice in my riding career and don't intend to provide anyone an opportunity to do it again.

I certainly know how not to use as much torque, but I still use Eco mode most of the time because I don't want a stray hand motion on the throttle to give me more torque than I want, so I dial down Eco mode. The bike is great, but we're talking about whether I want or need more torque. As a commuter, I absolutely don't. :)

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2014, 03:25:11 PM »

modest remark:

I used to set neutral braking to 0 when wet or slippery because this caused most of my fishtailing [on a 2012] - when start slipping you will automatically close the throttle and make things worse. (surly 2012 don't have so much acceleration torque).Zero neutral let me control easier in this situations.
To be worth a try!

I want or need more torque. As a commuter, I absolutely don't

Don't need it for sure! - but want ::) I think so! Human being
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2014, 01:43:23 AM »

Get some proper tyres and your fishtail problems will be over. I've had extensive test rides on 2012 and 2013 Zero S and 2013 Zero DS and am sure that the stock tyres have very, very poor wet weather performance.
In Amsterdam it rains as much as in Seattle for sure  ;)
Once you go EV, gas is history!

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 05:12:33 AM »

Get some proper tyres and your fishtail problems will be over. I've had extensive test rides on 2012 and 2013 Zero S and 2013 Zero DS and am sure that the stock tyres have very, very poor wet weather performance.
In Amsterdam it rains as much as in Seattle for sure  ;)

Yeah, I will be replacing them with better 90/10 rain tires when the OEM tires wear out. I will guarantee you, though, that Amsterdam is flatter and maintains its roads much better than Seattle does. Gravel on a slope in the rain adds to the difficulty.

Electric Cowboy

• View Profile
    • Miller's Premium Brand Electrons : YouTube
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2014, 12:00:08 AM »

I stroinglt reccomend the Avon Road Rider tire. I have had a set on my 2012 for 15k miles and do both highway and canyon riding on them. they handle well in dry wet and dirty situations.
Pages: 1 [2]