• April 25, 2024, 10:34:13 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: warning lights from moisture.  (Read 1269 times)

dkw12002

• View Profile
warning lights from moisture.
« on: August 17, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »

Yesterday, I set out to go order some motorcycle parts and got stuck on the way back in a 15 min. hard rain. First thing I did when I got home was wash the dirt that had accumulated on the bike using a garden hose. Then I dried everything with microfiber towels. The roads were now completely dry and it was sunny, so I left my 2013 S out in the sun, moved it a couple of times so the sun could get things dried out, and put a fan on it for another hour or so. Everything looked dry. When I booted up, the green go light flashed on an off, and I got two red warning lights that also flashed on and off the same time as the green go light...the system warning and the heat warning. No way was anything hot, just still some moisture somewhere. Anyway both in the rain and with these warnings, the bike operated normally, so I rode to dinner...and parked in the sun. Same thing with the 3 flashing lights when I left, but I thought I would ride some to air it out some more. After about 5 more miles of riding, the flashing ceased and the solid green go light  stayed on and everything is back to normal. Apparently my Zero does not like to take a bath.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 08:15:32 PM by dkw12002 »

spelunker

• View Profile
Re: warning lights from moisture.
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 08:22:53 PM »

Yes, I also have been caught in rain, and my '13 S took it in stride... that is until I rode down a street that had some pretty severe flooding.  Water sprayed up from under the bike (guessing) got up into the controller from the opening that is under the seat and got elecronic components wet.  Lights flashed and the bike quit running.  After it dried out, it ran fine.  Some time later, I washed it and gently soaked the underparts with water to get dirt off the cooling fins of the motor and electronics up under the seat.  When plugged in after I finished, the motor kind of growled and didn't charge.   It took about two days for it to dry out from that.  The bike has been fine ever since (this was last month).  So, my conclusion is to keep water out of the box that is under the seat.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:08:18 PM »

I have never been caught in so much rain and wind. It was even hard to see so rain got everywhere. Mine never missed a beat and the lights didn't start flashing for at least 3 hours after the wet ride when thing appeared dry and I started out again. I even took Q-tips to get around motor fins and everywhere possible. A fan and sunny 100 F, along with riding dries things out pretty fast, but mine might have taken 3 days to dry out in other conditions. I never took the seat off, but if it happens again, I will in order to help the drying along. I have to think what got wet was something to do with the heat sensor and maybe whatever connections show the bike is on...a short, cause the bike didn't growl, hesitate, or stop, just gave a false reading that the bike was over-heating, plus the on and off green ON light which I have never seen before. What's that silver box under the battery just above the skid plate. I thought that was the controller?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 10:13:27 PM by dkw12002 »

spelunker

• View Profile
warning lights from moisture.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 11:19:12 PM »

That would be the charger.

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:36:35 PM »

Thanks. I could see the holes you are talking about and the controller under the seat. I'm sure it got wet too. Hey, I've done some spelunking. Back on my farm in Harrison Co. Indiana I even have a couple of caves. Lots of caves in that area.

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 12:56:04 PM »

The controller under the seat is water proofed but the connector (is water proofed too) could be assembled not correct?

But all 2012 S/DS models have the same installation, and I didn't hear problems.
Personally I don't believe it comes from the Sevcon controller.

If you really get problems with water next to the Sevcon controller I would ask my dealer to check the  connector.
I have attached a photo you can see the "rubber wire seal" if the seal is pierced at a place where no wire goes through you use this white "seal plug" to close it.

Maybe one is missing?
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 06:55:20 PM »

Thanks for the info BSDThw. I'll ask my dealer to check it next time I'm in for maintenance. In the meantime, I try not to get caught in rain, more out of concern for dangerous road conditions.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 08:22:10 PM »

This sounds like a bit of a retrograde step from last years models then.  My 2012 is ridden all year round in horrendous torrential rain and even some wading through 8 inches or so of water and I haven't experienced any issues at all.

hein

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 09:13:52 PM »

I got soaked twice so far. So far no issue.
Just some mud and crud accumulating, notably between the motor cooling fins.
And that rusty rear-break spring I suppose (replacement on order $1.50 .. or possibly free).
I did nothing special after those rides. Just parked in the garage and used the next day.
At some point I cleared the motor with an airgun attachment to my compressor.
fwiw,
Hein.
Pages: [1]