• March 29, 2024, 07:15:28 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Blink blinks off  (Read 3118 times)

Richard230

• View Profile
Blink blinks off
« on: August 13, 2013, 06:36:24 AM »

It looks like Blink is going down the tubes and the Government gets the blame (again?).   ???

http://insideevs.com/ecotality-heading-for-bankruptcy-as-doe-shuts-off-the-tap/
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Richard230

• View Profile
Re: Blink blinks off
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 03:46:44 AM »

My newspaper published an article about poor old Blink (Ecotality).  It seems that they had more problems than just cash flow and not being bailed out by Uncle Sugar.  Ecotality makes charging and power-storage systems for electric vehicles under the Blink and Minit Charger brands.  It also does testing for government agencies, auto-makers and utilities.

Ecotality had an inability to sell enough commercial EV equipment to sustain operations and they will also miss the scheduled release of a new Minit Charger for industrial customers because of "unacceptable performance" during testing.  The company also learned last Thursday that additional financing from their existing loan provider wouldn't be approved.  When this happened, they notified the government and that was when the DOE decided to bail out and not bail them out.

The company also ran afoul of the U.S. Department of Labor over payments to workers and contractors, which resulted in Ecotality having to pay $855,000 to cover back wages and damages.  Adding insult to injury, the company said that some of its charging systems have caused over-heating and even melting of the connector plug when charging a vehicle.  Some auto manufacturers are considering advising their customers to avoid recharging with Blink or Minit chargers unless Ecotality replaces all of the connector plugs on about 12,000 charging stations. 

The company has retained FTI Consulting to find new sources of financing, cost-cutting steps, staffing needs and to help with the possible sale of the company or its assets.
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

nil0lab

• View Profile
Re: Blink blinks off
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 10:14:32 PM »

I would have used them... there are some at McDonalds on my commute, and I do need that 1/2 kwh boost to make it all the way home... but they are J1772 only and my 2011 Zero S takes only 110VAC :-(  Not happy about Zero either, but that's another topic...
Pages: [1]