• March 28, 2024, 02:29:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Basics Stupid Questions Part I  (Read 2265 times)

Gregski

• View Profile
Basics Stupid Questions Part I
« on: April 15, 2009, 12:35:03 PM »

Hold on to your underwear everybody here come the stupid questions:

Assumptions:

Motor: Mars ME-0709
Batteries: ?

In order to start off with minimal stuff and keep it simple, can I install a motor to a rolling used motorcycle chasy and one 12 volt battery and just connect the battery to the motor and lets say flip a switch and go?  I would expect a jolt of some kind, if I was on it, but what if it was on a bike lift?  I know the motor is a 24v - 72 volt but will that spin the wheel at least?

How much minimal power does it take to just move a 200 lb rider on a mid size 750cc chasy with a 40 lbs motor and a 60 lb battery?

Be gentle.

Bogan

• View Profile
Re: Basics Stupid Questions Part I
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:56:44 PM »

Hold on to your underwear everybody here come the stupid questions:

haha, least its in the post title now so evryone else can read before asking the same :P

A good first motor choice, the ME-0709 is also known as the Etek-RT i believe, which generates more torque and runs slightly slower than the Etek-R, which basically means u dont have to gear it down as much and it is slightly more powerful (my ev will run an etek-r ... eventually). So the RT (ME-0709) is probably the better choich for large motorcycle conversion projects.

yip you sure can just flick a switch if its on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground (make sure it is held securely as the bike will probably jerk a bit when the rear wheel suddenly accelerates) and ensure you use som thick wire  ;D

ill dredge up my old xl spreadsheet with some physics calculations in it and finish it off in next few days, which should be able to provide you with some insight into speeds/accelerations/range with different batteries/motor/weight/fairing info, its yet to be tested against real world applcation but all the physics in it are sound and i think it takes the major things into account

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 09:55:18 PM »

Thanks for asking these questions Gregski, I am learning with you. :D

picasso

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 08:04:56 AM »

Chances are high of the arc also welding it self to what every you "flick" the switch to, a fuse wouldn't hurt. It wont arc it self just free rolling on a stand but if you try and ride it...the load goes up.
Pages: [1]