• April 27, 2024, 05:15:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Model comparisons  (Read 995 times)

kensiko

• View Profile
Model comparisons
« on: August 08, 2013, 06:53:33 AM »

Hi guys,

after I finally decided to get my first hybrid car (prius 2010), I'm just thinking of the day I'll get my first electric car. But that would mean that I would have to do the maintenance on 2 cars and they would not fit my 20x24 garage., except maybe for the smart ED. But this car is still pricey and has limited use due to the space inside.

I already have a DRZ400S that have been sleeping for all summer in the garage because I have 1 less reason to use it now: it doesn't use less gasoline than my car anymore!

So here I am, looking to have a taste of the electrification of transport by replacing my DRZ with a Zero. Now I need to choose which model to get. The FX is really tempting because the seller told me that it does 0-60 in 3.9 second. But I would really like to build a comparison sheet with every model and baattery expansion. I can create it but I don't know thw 0-60 for each one. Can you help me?
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Gone -> Nissan Leaf 2014 SV rented (transfer)
Gone -> Prius 2010 bought at 180000 km.

vchampain

• View Profile
Re: Model comparisons
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 11:52:10 AM »

FX has a strong limitation : you can't legally carry a passenger (at least in Europe). Which was a total deal breaker for me.

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:21:13 PM »

FX has a strong limitation : you can't legally carry a passenger (at least in Europe). Which was a total deal breaker for me.

I asked this question to the seller. I'm still waiting for a response from my wife if she agrees to pay more so that we could go together. She does not completely agree that I get a new bike, but said the same thing about the prius and now she loves it.

I'm a little scared to put more money on a hobby than the price I paid the prius, even more knowing that the reliability is unknown and that future bikes may improve again like 2013 vs 2012.
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:37:08 PM »

Legal or not I don't think riding 2 up on any bike like the FX would be a pleasant experience.  I cant remember the exact number but the S does 60 in under 6 seconds, I want to say 5.7.  The local dealer here did a 1/4 mile sprint (not a drag race, it has a bend in it) in 13.65 seconds at 85mph.  Comparable to a 500-650cc Twin.  That is standard and Zero now offer a lower gearing option for even faster acceleration.  I have ridden a DRZ400 btw and the 2013 Zero is MUCH faster and more entertaining.

I will quote my post from another thread because it is directly relevant.
a point I always make when discussing the acceleration of the Zero's is how repeatable it is.  On the 1/4 mile sprint (with a sweeping bend in it, not a drag) the 2012 bike was running time after time within 1/10th of a second.  The ICE bikes with experienced riders varied by 2 or more seconds on alot of the runs.

The 2013 S does 0-60 in about 5 seconds?  People tell me their R1 does it in 2.8 seconds but that is total nonsense, maybe on a drag strip with hot tyres and a top fuel level rider.   If someone on an R1 could get everything right with the clutch, throttle body position etc. to get to 60mph faster than the Zero 3 times in a row from the lights i would be very impressed.   On a Zero you just open the throttle and get perfect acceleration every time.   That has to be beneficial in racing too, especially motocross.  Not to mention how often you see enduro and MX riders stall their bikes in ruts etc.  Not with electric!

kensiko

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:26:20 PM »

I already saw this post, thanks!

I definitely agree that the S is much funnier to drive than my DRZ. It's only too bad it's not 12000$, the price of the FX which is even faster to accelerate.

Hard to choose. When I get some time I will prepare a comparison sheet for me and for the others too. For now we are waiting for our first baby boy to arrive any day now ;) So the bike is clearly not in my wife's head now hehe, but me, I can't remove it, no matter what :)
Zero S 11.4 2013
Tesla S60 2014 CPO base
Pages: [1]