• April 25, 2024, 11:21:56 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: F A S T C O M P A C T CHARGER 1 hour 7.5kW for ZERO!  (Read 15149 times)

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Re: F A S T CHARGER 1 hour 7.5kW for ZERO!
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2013, 08:10:36 PM »

Here's the link for the video.

The tradeoff for high power density is the fan noise you hear when the chargers are plugged in. That's much less of a problem if plugged in at a garage, but is less than ideal for public charging.

Still, if you're already wearing earplugs from riding, it's probably not that bad : P

Doc, do you know what is the temperature rise for the power supplies? Ex if 10C outside, the power supplies climb to 70C? I assume they self-restrict at a certain temperature..

Yes the fan are noisy i agree, but in a garage with 4 walls reflecting the sound it is worst than outdoor without wall.. The high frequency that these are emitting is fast dissipated with the distance.

These Meanwell power supply are some of the most tough you can buy.  they manage heat pretty easy but even if drivoing them at full power,  i can leave my hand on them no prob. the exterior case  temp with ambient at 25 celsius is about 45 degree max near the exaust. They have many protections an internal  temp monitoring of many parts inside. if the temp of one o fthese parts is raching 75 or 80 celsius the power supply can shutdown. Their spec mention:
 working environment: -35 ~ +70c

These are temperature, heat, overcurrent,  and overvoltage protected

Like i said, i'm using these power supply for 5 years now and tested them in bert hard environment and they always worked very well ! I also discussed with someone in the telecom industry and he said they are using them in many different hard environment like in the north pole weater instrumnet, tropical weather where salt  of the sea corode everything, and they work well with that!.

Spec sheet is here: http://www.meanwell.com/search/RSP-2000/RSP-2000-spec.pdf

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2013, 02:40:17 AM »

Great work doc and a good idea to do a video.

I think the next step would be to find a way to mount them in a water resistant container such as a top box and still keep them cool.  I don't think it would be too difficult, maybe downward facing fans with ducts to keep any splashes out.

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2013, 03:10:49 AM »

Yeah, That could be an idea, but the main purpose i planned for them is to cary them in a tank bag and to pull them out of the bag when used to allow air to cool them down. btw there is ALOT of CFM out of these 6 little turbine fans !!
I did not wanted to have them permanently mounted  on the bike to keep it as light as possible for daily commuting or short <100km ride.

Doc

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2013, 07:54:30 AM »

It is quite interesting that Doc has put together a fast charger that could be pedestal installed for around $3k.    This is a lot less than than the current standards for quick charging.   

2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2013, 03:18:10 PM »

It is quite interesting that Doc has put together a fast charger that could be pedestal installed for around $3k.    This is a lot less than than the current standards for quick charging.

Well not quite, it is a fixed voltage and the expensive DC fast chargers need to be able to charge a large number of different vehicles.

Doc; With a top box you could just have an input and output connector on the box and on the bike. Then the box could be unplugged and taken off when not needed.

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 06:03:23 AM »

The top box lid could be opened for allowing cooling air to move through it.
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2013, 08:08:27 AM »

Here is some interesting data for you guys.

TESTED results:

Fast Charger efficiency measured: 92.5% ( 6980W AC 6460W DC out)

Fast Charger Current consumption ( at max output power): 30.5A AC

Fast Charger max power output ( mean at end of charge) 6.60kW

Fast Charger Voltage output: 74.0V ( adjustable from 29 to 76.8VDC)

Fast Charger Current output: 91A (0.75C charging rate)

Fast Charger weight ( including connectors and harness): 13.4lbs

Fast charger dimensions: L 13.2" x W 5" x D 5"

Fast charger max temp ( case): 43 celsius

ZF9 battery temp at end of charge ( internal OEM temp sensor): 32 celsius

ZF9 Battery measured capacity (with  2 bar flashing on the gauge): 6600Wh

Doc
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 08:23:37 AM by Doctorbass »

grindz145

• Rollin on E-
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 05:55:17 PM »

Very respectable end-to-end efficiency doc!

JefRo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »

Two questions Doc. For adjusting the output voltage on the RSP models, do you simply use the auxiliary 5 volt supply with a potentiometer voltage divider to adjust the output voltage via the PV pin on the Meanwell?

Do you have a manufacturer and part number for the external DC charging plug on the 2013 so I can wire up the outputs of the Meanwells to the external charging port of the 2013 DS?

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2013, 12:13:41 AM »

JefRo: have a look here, I guess but not 100% sure it is the SBS type (brown 2013 / green 2012)
http://www.andersonpower.com/litlib/files.html/download/514  (download the pdf!)
EDIT I have had a look at mine it is a green SBS 75X

Doc have you done more studies how to connect to the battery best and how the BMS (white and green) best work with your meanwells?

I have ordered 3 (RSP-1000-24) they can be used at 16A 230V (Standard for one phase here) and I will use my 3 Delta-q as i have done up to now => 2 phases (of 3) will work for me and I can still charge at a standard line if no 3 phase is available with on 3KW system.

If I get the Meanwell I will have a look at the battery front to see where the fuse will be connected (photo).

I look for a "current inrush" limiter for the meanwell each has 40A inrush current this will be hard for the 16A line switched on together.

Let us know of your progress!

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:58:49 PM by BSDThw »
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2013, 04:22:58 AM »

From now i'm bulk cahrging it but i cut at 74V . at this point the BMS data i get indicate that the celsl are  well balanced at 3mV diff MAX ad that the temp is still cold. so no danger to get any of the 18 bank to overcharge above 4.2V

and if required i leave the last missing volt cahrged by the original 1kW delta Q. so it finalizt to 75.0V

I have charged about 6 times now using this fast DIY charger  and it work really well !

recently i have done 152km on a single charge and measured 7650Wh used out of the battery when it showed zero bar left  and still had juice on the motorcycle.. but i was tired of running the bike to empty the battwry in a dozend of turn around my neiborhood! lol....

The 7650Wh is not including the  regen Wh.. it is the pure Wh from the battery only. in fact i got 8200Wh used on that run wich mean i had about 600Wh of regen.

I have posted the data in another thread.

About the trigger wires and the enable pins on the meanwell i still have not made any work to have the meanwell to stop once it get the battery/cell bank  full signal.
I will work on that this automn or winter.

btw  i have this $%#$&? glitch on my Zf9 since i got it .... damn.. i have to do some work with the zero service tech  to fix everything...

Doc

Doc

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2014, 10:43:47 PM »

Here is the new working link for the video:

Electric Terry

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2014, 01:20:05 AM »

Doc! This is awesome!  I love the chargers and the Tesla!!! :)

Plus that J1772 adapter with the voltage readout is so cool! Did you build that?

Terry
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 01:24:30 AM by offthegrid »
100,000+ all electric miles on Zero Motorcycles - 75,000+ on a 2012 Zero S and 35,000+ miles on a 2015 Zero SR
http://www.facebook.com/electricterry
http://instagram.com/electricterry
https://twitter.com/electricterry

DynoMutt

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2014, 12:45:13 AM »

@doctorbass

Do you need a '13 to test against?

I have a 2013 Model S 11.4, and I'd really like to be able to use L2 J1772 chargers to their full capability, I'm willing to pay for a finished unit if it works as expected.

I live just outside of NYC, I'm willing to make a trip.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2014, 01:22:29 AM »

Potentially interested for my 2012 as well.

Concerns:

1. Have you found a way operate the charger with the bike powered off? I remember BSDThw proposing a solution a little while ago.
2. Weatherproofing - could this be stored and operated in a Givi side or top case, provided it was ventilated?
3. Noise - could a larger, slower ducted fan still cool the power supplies effectively instead of six small high-RPM fans?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5