• April 24, 2024, 01:16:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: New FX or DS? How do you decide? How are you using yours?  (Read 1570 times)

Mr. Fisherman

• View Profile
New FX or DS? How do you decide? How are you using yours?
« on: July 20, 2013, 05:49:58 PM »

So I am pretty torn here... I think I could be happy with the DS especially with its range, but that FX sounds like it would be a blast. I just worry about the range. For instance, I would love to be able to go downtown and romp around, run errands and the like and still be able to enjoy the fun way home. That is a minimum 31 miles each way and I am not a small man so I expect I would not be getting optimum mileage.
We don't have lane splitting here so I use alternate routes that increase that mileage even more.
That said the FX would be a blast on some of the local trails. I could see myself trucking it to the trails and having a ball and worrying a little less about puddle jumping and small creek crossings.

And then there is the decision between the DS or the S. Both very similar, though for my riding style I think I would lean towards the DS... the S is rated for 25000 more miles per dual battery pack so there is that.

I guess I need to go ride the S to see if it really is something I want... It is either that or trade my GS in for a new Tenere and get an E-bike after I pay that off.

What would you do? How are you riding yours? Decisions, decisions, decisions...

vchampain

• View Profile
Re: New FX or DS? How do you decide? How are you using yours?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »

The only reason why i chosed a S over an FX : the ability to carry a passenger. If this is not a criteria for you, go for FX !

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 07:48:44 PM »

I would suggest you to buy none of them!!

I will explain myself. The FX is a very, very funny bike, but it lack of the range you need (from your words), then the DS or S do have the range but not "exactly" the FX acceleration...
Something tells me (I have not got inside information)that Zero will be going for a size 6 controller in the 2014 models. If that happens, the S, or DS will get the "extra acceleration" you would miss in the 2013 range.
This advice only applies if you really want a rocket...if you are ok with a very fast bike the 2013 S & DS models are more than enough.
(I have ridden a few times both FX & S models)
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

TargeT

• $.58 a kWh... and I ride electric?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 10:53:47 PM »

I commute with my FX every day to work, it's a blast...

The only thing I've noticed is that higher speeds really shortten the batteries life, I typically ride at 40mph or below, with some short bursts to maybe 70, if I take the " freeway" here and hit 65-80 mph for long perioids of time the battery drains very very fast and my range is reduced a lot. but since I don't have drive the "free way" I just never do.

It's an awesome every day bike if your somewhat close to your destination, I make it to work with a half charge, plug the bike in and ride home at night. sometime's I'll ride it to the beach but usualy not as it's only a 1 seater (though I've made it work with two a few times now).

The bike is very fun & brisk, plus it's so easy to ride, light and agile, fun through corners or off jumps.

if your riding 31 miles one way to anywhere, don't get the FX, it wont work; ESPECIALLY if you are talking speeds over 60 mph.
I wonder where I can charge my batteries from at work...

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 11:28:32 PM »

Something tells me (I have not got inside information)that Zero will be going for a size 6 controller in the 2014 models.

It seems unlikely to me.  Zero's UK guy has told me they plan no major revisions next year, Size 6 would count as major in my mind, and they are still get the 2013 model right.   I think we may see it for 2015 but I would be very surprised if it appears next year.  Especially when you consider that the 2014 model announcements from the ICE companies are already appearing.

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 12:35:52 AM »

Get the DS with the smaller front sprocket if quick getaways is what you miss on the DS
Once you go EV, gas is history!

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 12:38:00 AM »

For the last three years Zero has announced their new models at EICMA or just before, in November.

Zero has never left their bikes alone. They've made relatively major changes to brake suppliers, battery configurations and chemistries, motor suppliers, controller suppliers, frames .. almost ever year.

At Refuel 2011 and Refuel 2012 Zero tested a development powertrain that slotted into the next year's production bikes. At Refuel 2013 they were testing a prototype bike that appeared to have a Size 6 controller.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 12:44:47 AM »

The 2013 bikes had their debut early October 2012 at Intermot Cologne!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 12:54:49 AM »

Good catch, kingcharles.

Maybe we'll know something in October?

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 01:05:34 AM »

As many on this forum already know, I have a 2010 DS, a 2012 DS ZF6, and now I'm riding a 2013 FX. The reason I didn't buy the dirt bike before was that I needed to be street legal on many of the trails I ride and also to get to those trails. The earlier versions of the dirt bike also didn't have much range to do the trail rides I was doing.

As the dual-sports got heavier with each year (from bigger and bigger batteries) I wanted to ride the lightest Zero bike I could (hence the ZF6 choice in 2012) since a lot of my riding involves desert sandy washes. The 2013 FX fit my desire to get back to the weight of my original 2010 DS and with a lot more range than that first bike had. The FX is street legal so that requirement was met.

I did think that I would be paying a range penalty since the 2012 DS was a 6 kWh (claimed) and the 2013 FX was a 5.7 kWh (claimed). However, as my accumulated ride data has indicated, it looks like the range is almost identical between the 2012 DS ZF6 and the 2013 FX ZF5.7. I think this is due to the new motor design being more efficient, the bike being about 25 lbs lighter, and the wheels being larger diameter (lower rolling resistance). The FX is also narrower which may help aerodynamics.

I've been enjoying riding my FX so much (and will again, since the recall, when the replacement batteries come back) that for me, I made the right decision. Compared to the 2012 DS it's definitely more fun out on the trail or on the street. The handling is superb!

Trikester

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »

Has anyone fitted S wheels to the FX?

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2013, 08:40:20 PM »

I believe @pinkyracr used S wheels and tires on her FX for Laguna Seca Refuel.

craigq

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2013, 04:09:12 AM »

Contact Harlan at Hollywood Electrics. If anyone knows about modifying Zero's I imagine he would...
bikeless

Harlan

• View Profile
    • Hollywood Electrics
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2013, 06:02:57 PM »

Yes, we've done a few different supermoto configurations with the FX.  As protomech has posted above, we did the conversion for pinky with the S wheels, we've also done a few with custom laced wheels.  Three of the bikes that we raced at Pikes Peak were Supermoto FX.  There are a few pics in this article:

http://www.motorcycle.com/events/motorcycle-com-races-to-the-clouds-at-pikes-peak

Along with the 17" wheels, they all go the upgraded rotor from the S/DS.  If anybody is interested in this upgrade, contact me.  We can get you all the parts you need, including the adapter plate to move the caliper out to accommodate the larger rotor.

Harlan Flagg
Hollywood Electrics
http://www.hollywoodelectrics.com

TargeT

• $.58 a kWh... and I ride electric?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2013, 06:08:19 PM »

the smaller wheels with the tall suspension looks a little "off" to me & I don't think I'd want to get rid of the gearing, I love how my FX picks the front wheel up when ever I want (convient for speed bumps & other road malformations)
I wonder where I can charge my batteries from at work...
Pages: [1]