• April 25, 2024, 09:58:38 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: battery pack recall  (Read 4154 times)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: battery pack recall
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2013, 03:24:15 PM »

Why not do a quick pressure test on all batteries before installing them on the bikes? Pump a few psi into the battery case and if it holds pressure, you know it's sealed properly. Just plug the hole you used to fill the case with air and you're good. Just a suggestion.

Im sure that would be helpful but people here are forgetting that Zero are a company that needs to make a profit and labour is expensive.  Any kind of production line relies on the incoming suuply to be of good quality, the problem here isn't QC at Zero because that QC should be taking place in China.  Its unfair to blame Zero for the failure of their suppliers.

The chances of cells being damaged I imagine are very small if you think how many ZF2.8 packs have actually been sold? How many of those have been used regularly in the rain and of those that have, how many had the sealant weakness in just the right place to allow water in.  Out of those how many allowed water in to the right place and for a long enough duration to cause corrosion?   If the answer is more than half a dozen I would be very surprised.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2013, 08:10:56 PM »

Im sure that would be helpful but people here are forgetting that Zero are a company that needs to make a profit and labour is expensive.  Any kind of production line relies on the incoming suuply to be of good quality, the problem here isn't QC at Zero because that QC should be taking place in China.  Its unfair to blame Zero for the failure of their suppliers.

The fault does not lie with Zero, but the responsibility certainly does. How expensive is this recall? How expensive is good will lost and brand damage?

Brammo builds the Empulse batteries in the US (cells come from China).

I don't know where Tesla builds their batteries. I'd be a little surprised if Tesla did not assemble the batteries in the US.

Nissan builds US LEAF batteries in the US now, though they initially built them in Japan. Cells probably still come from Japan.

I believe GM builds the Volt batteries in Korea. LG has a plant here but I don't know if it's actually building any batteries yet.

The chances of cells being damaged I imagine are very small if you think how many ZF2.8 packs have actually been sold? How many of those have been used regularly in the rain and of those that have, how many had the sealant weakness in just the right place to allow water in.  Out of those how many allowed water in to the right place and for a long enough duration to cause corrosion?   If the answer is more than half a dozen I would be very surprised.

I think the recall said ~120 bikes affected. Almost all of those are ZF5.7 I bet. So probably around 200 packs.

I would guess around 1-2 dozen packs will end up affected.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

mr1396

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2013, 05:45:18 AM »

I got a letter from zero today was dated 19th of July, it was to say sorry about the recall and that the new batteries would be delivered about late August. They are also giving away free jacket and gloves to those affected. I also wanted to know if they were finished picking up the bad batteries because I still have my original set. I live in Pueblo Colorado maybe they have not gotten to my area yet or I have good batteries. Does anyone else still have there bad batteries for the fx or any info. Zero customer service is never there when I call.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2013, 10:35:06 AM »

maybe they have not gotten to my area yet or I have good batteries.

The recall was for all of the plug-able module batteries (FX, XU, etc.) made in 2013.

Trikester

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »

Experience in overseas manufacturing (especially in China) shows that you need to keep a closer eye on these suppliers (I faced myself a few issues, and some of them where not a piece of cake...)
One closer friend decided to get a couple of EU guys in the supplier plant to control quality, and it worked out (as long as they let you do it, of course)
Building in China has some advantages, but a few challenges too (like giving training to a bunch of new employees and the next day not showing up in the manufacturing plant...no kidding here)
I'm not trying to be disrespectful to the Chinese community, but this is my experience, and some other people I know.

More and more companies are getting out of China as it is not anymore "the Holy Grail"

Hope Zero learns the lesson, as it is not their fault, but it is definitely their responsibility to make sure quality is within the standards they charge us for.
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2013, 12:28:33 PM »

Lipo I can testify it, my experience are 10 years ago maybe China has changed a lot,
but it was often more and expensive rework than positive effects we had.
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2013, 09:06:21 PM »

I just posted in another thread (my trike e-conversion) that I was one of a lucky few who got to tour SpaceX, in Hawthorn CA, this week. It was fantastic to be able to view every part of rockets and spacecraft all being manufactured under the roof over my head. 8)

SpaceX was started by the same man who started Tesla Motors, as most people know. The Tesla building was directly behind the huge SpaceX building.

I didn't see a Zero bike in the parking lot but that doesn't mean there isn't one. I saw a lot of bicycles so I'll bet there is a Zero or two somewhere there.

Trikester

grindz145

• Rollin on E-
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 02:13:49 AM »

Why not do a quick pressure test on all batteries before installing them on the bikes? Pump a few psi into the battery case and if it holds pressure, you know it's sealed properly. Just plug the hole you used to fill the case with air and you're good. Just a suggestion.

I wouldn't be surprised if they considered this going forward. I've seen this performed in manufacturing environments many times for IP rated stuff.

mr1396

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 24, 2013, 01:50:58 AM »

Are there any updates on the battery recall???????? I haven't heard a word since they came and picked mine up three weeks ago.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 24, 2013, 09:19:53 AM »

Yes, I received an update today. They are on schedule to start shipping the first week in September.

If you aren't getting Richard's e-mail reports you should get hold of him.

Trikester
Pages: 1 2 [3]