• March 29, 2024, 08:48:20 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: battery pack recall  (Read 4149 times)

dkw12002

• View Profile
Re: battery pack recall
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 08:25:05 PM »

That sounds like it would be less expensive for Zero too.  I agree with you. It's not like your warranty period stops when you can't ride the bike. That is what would concern me....my 2-year warranty elapsing on a bike that cannot be ridden. Too bad they can't just swap out the battery at the dealer for a new one and take your old one, fix it if needed and resell it as reconditioned. That brings up another issue. Now that Tesla is swapping out batteries...well not really cause you have to get your own personal one back, but anyway, it seems like eventually they need to be able to assess a battery exactly...how much charge it holds, quality of the battery, so you would have no compunction to trade batteries...and neither would a dealer or battery exchange. You would pay more for a better battery, less for an older one, but you would know exactly the condition of the battery. Just like buying premium vs. regular gas or more vs. less gas. That's another discussion though. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:04:09 AM by dkw12002 »

Lipo423

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 02:32:30 AM »

Do not want to get anyone excited, but they should replace the battery packs, end of the story...unfortunately, that means loosing a significant amount of money, which is not an easy deal for Zero.
No need to mention the drawbacks of inter-changing fresh cells with non fresh ones...
Bikes: Kawa GPX 600, Suzuki GSX 750-R, Yamaha FZR 1000, Suzuki Lido 75, Peugeot SV 125, Suzuki Burgman 400, Suzuki Burgman 650, KTM EXC 250, 2012 Zero ZF9 - All of them sold -
2014 Zero SR 11.4, BMW C1 125, BMW R 850R

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 03:21:51 AM »

I wonder if they even have replacement batteries though? Li batteries always seem to be in limited supply. The bigger question would be what to do with slightly-used batteries. If they had to just recycle the Li, that would be a huge loss. Looking forward a few years, if I still have my Zero S and there is a slightly-used battery pack that they would sell at a discount, I would be interested...just not now. The market is too small for Zero right now to pursue many options. Essentially they would be eating the old batteries plus paying for labor and replacements, so they are taking the don't-fix-it-if-it-ain't-broke approach which is all you could reasonably expect from a warranty or recall. The shelf life of Li batteries works against storing the old batteries until needed too. Still, if the batteries fail at a future date due to moisture, say after the warranty period, there is the possibility of a hit to Zero's reputation to consider as well as dealing with disgruntled Zero owners. Looks like a headache all around.

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 04:12:04 AM »

If they can refurbish the batteries - and I bet most of the batteries would be in perfect condition and not even need refurbishment - then they could easily sell them at a lower price.

How many ZF2.8 owners are looking for a second module? How many ZF5.7 owners would consider a backup spare battery if the price was right?

Hell, rig up some saddlebag mounts for two modules and a ZF11.4 bike would become a ZF17.0 bike .. basically the same capacity as Terry's 2012.

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 05:21:10 AM »

All four of my 2.8 kWh batteries were picked up and taken to Zero on Tuesday, July 2nd. Two are from my 2013 FX and two from the powertrain kit. So I know personally that they are moving ahead on this.

Since they didn't manufacture any after May 21 the recall applies to all 2013 2.8 batteries.

Trikester

mr1396

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2013, 06:15:00 AM »

Trikester how did they pick them up. Did they call first or did you get something in the mail. Did they make an appointment. I live in colorado so I was wanting to know when and how they did it.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2013, 10:49:10 AM »

I was away at the time. My wife called me and said a guy called and said he was on his way to pick them up and did she know where they were. She said yes and when would he get there? He was driving a van and was on his way to Santa Cruz from San Diego so I was right on his way (Orange County coast).

I think it was a matter of convenience. I'm guessing that someone at Zero said: Hey we have this guy from the San Diego dealership driving up here in a van, we should have him pick up batteries along the way. I'm pretty sure I was not his only stop. She couldn't remember his name and I don't know anybody at that dealership.

So, when do I get replacement batteries? That's anybody's guess. :-\

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 01:16:15 AM »

Hope it was really a Zero Staff, if not he has now 4 sets of batteries :o
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 11:40:20 AM »

Hope it was really a Zero Staff, if not he has now 4 sets of batteries :o

Ah, yes, four leaking batteries. Better him than me  ;D

Trikester

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 12:00:18 PM »

I would take a leaking battery for free ;D

BTW Zero should send me there new production bike during development ;D, so I can test it in rain :'(, what is very likely here than in CA! 
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2013, 10:22:24 PM »

Anyone else realize this is the second year in a row of recalls for inadequate waterproofing? You'd think they'd learn their lesson the first time but I guess not. 

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2013, 10:43:17 PM »

Slightly different. The 2012 recall was for a PCB that had a weatherproof coating, but it was improperly applied. The 2012 battery box is (by intention) not weather-proof, though the modules inside are.

The 2013 recall is for battery modules that are meant to be sealed.

Definitely seems like Zero would benefit from catching these problems before the bikes leave the factory.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2013, 12:35:49 AM »

The 2013 recall is for battery modules that are meant to be sealed.

Definitely seems like Zero would benefit from catching these problems before the bikes leave the factory.

The battery assembly internal to the box is built in China. That assembly uses a sealant that has to be cured and when production quantity picked up, the Chinese factory did not cure it properly and the assembly had uncured gaps that let moisture in. The batteries that Zero Eng tested, early on, were properly cured so the problem didn't show up until production quantities. The original tested prototype batteries were subjected to a lot of water tests and passed.

Quality control is always more difficult with off-shore vendors, but China pretty much has a lock on lithium battery production. :(

Trikester

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2013, 02:48:01 AM »

Why not do a quick pressure test on all batteries before installing them on the bikes? Pump a few psi into the battery case and if it holds pressure, you know it's sealed properly. Just plug the hole you used to fill the case with air and you're good. Just a suggestion.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2013, 09:27:46 AM »

The outside case is not sealed except with grease which the air pressure would blow out. As I understand it, that test would have to be done in China, or here after arrival, to the actual battery itself before installing the BMS and mounting in the outer case.

Trikester
Pages: 1 [2] 3