• April 26, 2024, 08:16:52 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: battery pack recall  (Read 4155 times)

motoxo

• View Profile
battery pack recall
« on: June 28, 2013, 11:56:38 PM »

just got off the phone with a zero rep that informed me that there is a problem with the battery packs getting water into the connectors and that it was causing the battery to seep, thereby shorting out / burning up the battery. zero is very serious about the customer's safety and was planning on driving out to do this at my house. i guess it happened to one bike and they are responding to it with a full recall.

they offered to take my battery and after fixing them they would come back and replace them (thereby leaving me without a bike.)

i suggested that i would be willing to sign a waiver (not to sue them into oblivion) if i can get to keep the bike's battery (and obviously it away from h2o) until they have a replacement battery to swap with it.
2013 zero xu

trikester

• View Profile
Re: battery pack recall
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:10:56 AM »

I've been aware of this for about a week but waiting to see how it worked out at Zero before doing anything with my batteries. I personally would definitely go for repair / replacement rather than sign an agreement to keep the batteries "as is". I could not comfortably go riding many miles into the uninhabited back country (as I often do) if I thought my batteries might have a problem in their construction. :'(

Trikester

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:32:14 AM »

Is this for the X-series modular packs or does it affect the S and DS fixed batteries as well?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 04:26:45 AM »

What years, models are affected by this?
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 05:01:21 AM »

Zero, what models are affected and what are you advising your owners to do?
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 09:48:21 AM »

I don't work for Zero but as most of you would know I've been in close contact as a result of questions I've had regarding my gas trike to electric conversion on-going project. As a result I've asked some questions about the battery recall and received some answers. Everyone owning a 2013 FX or XU should be up to date on this within the next few days.

Here's what i know at this point in time:

The batteries affected by the recall are model year 2013 FX and XU only. And of those models only those made before May 21 of this year are affected.

The problem was with a sealant used in the construction of those batteries. Gaps in the sealant allowed moisture to enter the batteries and cause corrosion which then caused internal deterioration. The reason that the recall doesn't include the S and DS is because those batteries have an additional enclosure that protects them from moisture.

That is my personal understanding of the situation so I need to make it clear that this is second hand information filtered through my 78 year old brain. However, I am sure of the dates and models affected unless Zero changes that information. I repeat that at present it is MY 2013 FX & XU prior to May 21. No other models or years.

Trikester

motoxo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 11:58:04 AM »

yes, from what i understand it's only the bikes that have battery packs. (XU and FX styled ones that pop in and out easily.) i currently use my bike so i'd like them to get me a replacement before i give up my battery. ;)

i promise not to get it wet.

or feed it after midnight ... nah, i'll feed it after midnight ... i like to live on the wild side.
2013 zero xu

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 03:03:42 PM »

What is the name of your bike? Gizmo ;D

I always take care too, the one with the long nose you see at my avatar is Gisom ;) and eating is his life!
Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 11:24:19 PM »

yes, from what i understand it's only the bikes that have battery packs. (XU and FX styled ones that pop in and out easily.) i currently use my bike so i'd like them to get me a replacement before i give up my battery. ;)

Remember that even if you own a 2013 FX or XU, if it was built after May 21 your life need not be disturbed.  :)

Unfortunately for me, that is not my situation.  :'(

Trikester

mr1396

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 12:51:49 PM »

How can you tell when your bike was built. I just got my 2013 fx  two weeks ago, my dealer got it from a zero rep who got it from another dealer.

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 08:17:16 PM »

trikester
Mine is a MY13 DX but the wife still says I'm disturbed.
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 11:19:51 PM »

Mine also. Oh wait that wasn't the question i was going to reply to.

How can you tell when your bike was built. I just got my 2013 fx  two weeks ago, my dealer got it from a zero rep who got it from another dealer.

The bike's VIN has "when built" information contained in it. Unfortunately that doesn't say when the batteries were built, which of course is the important thing here. There may be "when built" information located somewhere on the batteries but I don't know of it. If we do have the ability to know when our batteries were built, then Zero needs to tell us how to do that.

Trikester

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 09:56:21 PM »

NHTSA has now published the official details of this situation. Links provided below.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM440618/RCDNN-13V257-7902.pdf

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/UCM440619/RCMN-13V257-4366.pdf

Now that NHTSA has accepted our filing, our Customer Service group is working quickly to contact everyone that is affected.  This group and your dealer will be the best source of information as things progress.

Regards,
aaronzeromoto
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 04:17:49 AM »

Call me demented, but I always enjoy reading the recall sheets.

Does this affect MX bikes as well? I see they're not listed on the recall form.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

mr1396

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 12:32:38 PM »

I called zero today because I have a 2013 fx just got a week and half ago and they said zero is sending out reps to pick up the defective batteries and take back to Cali to check out and if your battery is good they  will send it back if not they get you a new one. They made it sound like they would come to your house and pick up the batteries no matter what time of year your bike was built defective or not. I wish they were more clear about this.  I wish they would just send good batteries to the dealers and have you swap them out there so there's less down time.
Pages: [1] 2 3