• March 28, 2024, 09:43:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: CC Equivalent  (Read 5025 times)

ArmyZeroS

• View Profile
CC Equivalent
« on: June 28, 2013, 09:56:30 AM »

I recently purchased a 2013 Zero S, but haven't received my motorcycle endorsement yet.  I'm schedule to take the class in about two weeks.  They'll let me use my own bike, but it needs to be 350cc or less.  Does anyone know what the equivalent is on the 2013 S?

spelunker

• View Profile
CC Equivalent
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 09:59:24 AM »

Mine handles like it's about 600.

spelunker

• View Profile
CC Equivalent
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 10:02:21 AM »

You can set the Eco mode to emulate a 350 or less bike. Your instructors may enjoy tweaking the settings to get it to where they feel comfortable with you on it.

ArmyZeroS

• View Profile
Re: CC Equivalent
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 11:18:46 AM »

That's a great idea.  I'll call them and see if they're willing to try.  Thanks!

Scuba

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 11:49:49 PM »

Is this for the MSF BRC?

If it is, the actual class doesn't have a limit on the size of the motorcycle, but that might be a local requirement or an Army requirement. (Guessing by your handle that you may be Army).

Either way, the zero should have no problem completing all of the exercises in the BRC. In fact, all of the exercises will be much easier since you wont have to worry about modulating a clutch and the power delivery being so linear. And there are less potential hits on the final test since you can't forget to downshift.

There should be a section where they describe the motorcycle controls and ask if anyone has anything different from the standard control configuration for a bike, you should let them know that you do not have a clutch or gears.

If this isn't for an MSF course then disregard all of that.  ;D

ArmyZeroS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 09:38:30 AM »

Looks like it's okay to bring the bike for the riding exam.  When I asked about using my own bike, they responded by saying they haven't been given guidance on electric bikes, so I should bring it. 

I didn't mention that the bike doesn't have a clutch.  I just assumed they knew that already.  Hopefully that isn't a mandatory section of the riding test.

CliC

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 03:48:30 AM »

In my MSF in Texas they had bikes for the students to ride, 250cc "intro" cruiser/standard models I think. They wouldn't let you use your own bike (the experienced rider course does). I recall they spent a lot of time on the "friction zone" and other clutch technique. You would definitely have an advantage on electric in some of those low-speed maneuvers.
Bikes: 2012 Zero DS ZF9, 2000 Harley Road King (sold), 1985 Suzuki GN400 (sold)
Ride log

ZeroSinMA

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 08:47:42 AM »

Looks like it's okay to bring the bike for the riding exam.  When I asked about using my own bike, they responded by saying they haven't been given guidance on electric bikes, so I should bring it. 

I didn't mention that the bike doesn't have a clutch.  I just assumed they knew that already.  Hopefully that isn't a mandatory section of the riding test.

Please learn to ride on the crap 250 Honda or whatever is provided. You will appreciate what the others are going through when you ride your Zero.
Pages: [1]