• March 29, 2024, 12:59:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Newbie from California itching to get started  (Read 4309 times)

Gregski

• View Profile
Newbie from California itching to get started
« on: April 12, 2009, 08:34:44 PM »

Hi just wanted to introduce myself.  My name is Greg I'm from Sacramento, California and I am at the dream & research phase of my electric motorcycle conversion.  Looking for a cheap donor bike, and putting together notes on motors, batteries, controllers, etc.

GOAL:  My commute to work is only 9 miles each way, so it seems very duable to build an electric motorcycle to have at least a 20 plus mile range with a respectable top speed.  Hopefully 65 MPH so I can cross the river on a highway bridge and not get ran over.

Looking forward to all your help.

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie from California itching to get started
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:36:37 PM »

Welcome Greg!  Glad you signed on.  Sounds like a very doable project.  What style of bike are you thinking?  Do you ride a gas bike now?  I'm sure the guys who hang out in the Home Brew section will have some great advice.

Gregski

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 04:24:43 AM »

I do currently ride a 2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200cc.  It is my 6th bike so I have owned and tinkered with a few of them.  As far as bikes that I would like to use to convert, well I would love to find a Honda Pacific Coast because all the plastic would hide the batteries nicely, but those are hard to find and still pricey.  Other than that Honda VF Interceptor, Kawasaki GPZ, Yamaha Seca II, etc.  I'm thinking midsized 750cc type.  Or should I think heavier liter bikes so their suspension can handle the weight of the batteries?  Also I favor the bikes with a full frame rather than the type where the engine is a stress member, but what do I know.  I need your advice please.

Bogan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:36:06 AM »

bike size depends largely on battery/motor weight, so probly a good idea to choose those first. Is a few posts in the tech section about this.

Gregski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 11:55:10 AM »

I like the PERM 132 but for my first build I will go with the Mars ME-0709 motor, best bang for the buck at $500 I think, am I wrong?  As far as the batteries I don't have a clue, so I will start a separate post with my questions, hope not to be redundant and ask what's already been answered.

All you veterans probobly know it's specs by heart, but here's a link for us newbies:

http://www.marselectricllc.com/me07091.html

The ME0709 is a Brush-type Permanent Magnet DC motor. Light weight, high efficiency design. Designed for 24-72 VDC battery operated equipment. Capable of 300 amps peak and 125 amps continuous. Totally open, fan cooled motor. Motor weight of 36 pounds. Similar in performance to the Perm-132 and the Lemco LEM-200 motors.

picasso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 06:29:40 AM »

I agree on the MARS it was the stock motor on my Zero and it was the only MARS motor in the 24hour race. Every other racer was forced to dump water on the motors at every batt swap. Never did this with MARS motor. The one motor I saw fail got so hot the solder started to fling out of it. The MARS motor has a larger mass and seems to take abuse well. I look forward to what ever I will reuse this motor for after I take it off the Zero X.

For an upgrade to my zero, I was thinking of getting this guy.
http://www.agnimotors.com/

It's like the LEM-200 with an upgrade for high rpm.  http://www.lmcltd.net/index.php
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 05:09:06 PM by picasso »

Gregski

• View Profile
Got a donnor bike
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 10:09:14 AM »

Ok, so I picked up a 1989 Suzuki GSX600F Katana (soon to be Wattana) off of Craigslist for $300, it has an engine knock.  I plan on parting out all the bits I don't need to offset my costs.

here's a link to the webpage with pictures

http://gregski.home.comcast.net/~gregski/katana.htm

Bogan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 11:06:40 AM »

nice bike, good tidy bodywork and plenty of space for batteries by the look of it, full cradle frame im guessing?

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 04:58:18 PM »

Wattana, I like it!  I used to love the Katana when it first came out.  Over the years I lost my attraction to it.  I think you might bring it back into my favor.  Love the solid red.

Here is a pic of the 89 Katana without plastic.  Not the best detail...

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1019411214030943720oGsFikFPxl

Gregski

• View Profile
she's naked
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 11:47:22 AM »

come on over for a visit and check her out, SHE'S ALL STRIPPED AND NAKED NOW !

http://home.comcast.net/~gregski/naked.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~gregski/stripped.htm

skadamo

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2009, 08:27:43 PM »

Looks great naked.  Sounds weird to say but I can't wait to see her with new clothes on. :-/

Gregski

• View Profile
What controller do you recommend?
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 11:17:31 AM »

When it comes to controllers should I get the Alltrax 7234 which is the 300 amp one or the 7245 which is 450 amps to go along with my Mars ME0709 motor capable of 300 amps peak and 125 amps continuous in a 72 volt system?  Majority of my 20 mile round trip commute will be at city street speeds 40 mph with a short highway 65 mph burst over a bridge.

NewAge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »

Depends on your batteries, read the spec on the batteries and if they can deliver more than the 300 amps then you should probably get the 7245, otherwise if the batteries are rated 300 amp or less then save the money and go with the 7244.

Gregski

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 12:18:42 AM »

I think I have yet to see a Deep Cycle lead acid battery that is unable to put out at least 300 amps, am I wrong about that?

NewAge

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 04:19:09 AM »

You're probably right, I know that my B+B EVP-20 batteries are rated at 300 and requires 6 awg wire for the power loop. The new Optima yellow tops that I'm looking at are rated 425 and some of the bigger ones are boasting 900!!

Make sure that you run big fat wire when tapping into power like that.

God I love this shit  ;D
Pages: [1] 2