• April 26, 2024, 05:32:32 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Glitch! 2012 S ZF9 dies when stopping  (Read 1064 times)

dmw

• View Profile
Glitch! 2012 S ZF9 dies when stopping
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:30:04 AM »

Nine months and 4.7k+ miles and not one problem until yesterday. 

I left work, turned on bike, put on my helmet and gloves, kicked up the stand, twisted the throttle and... Nothing. 

Hmm, that's odd. 

So I rebooted, and everything seemed fine - I drove away and stopped at the light.  The light turned green, so I twisted the throttle and... Nothing! 

Crap! 

I hurriedly rebooted again and got out of the intersection.

After messing with it a bit, I now see the following symptoms:

• If I don't twist the throttle within the first few seconds after booting the bike, nothing will happen when I do twist the throttle.
  • If I don't stop, the bike runs as normal
  • When it is stopped due to the glitch, if I push it past a certain speed while twisting the throttle, it will kick in and I can ride normally.
  • When I'm experiencing the glitch, the red triangle light on the instrument cluster is flashing.

This really sucks.  I seem to remember someone else describing the push to start thing (strange to be push starting an electric bike!), but I can't find the post.  I'm hoping the fix is something simple.  If anyone has any ideas/advice, please let me know.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:31:48 AM by dmw »

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Glitch! 2012 S ZF9 dies when stopping
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:32:20 PM »

Main 2012 glitch 2.0 thread:
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2861.0

Oscillation behavior I was experiencing, was fixed by pushing the bike a short distance. Odd, I never tried pushing the bike when it "died" at a stop.
http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/boards/index.php?topic=2861.0

I never saw the indicator light on the dash flash when my bike was glitching. What's the flash pattern? blink - pause - blink - pause - blink - pause? Same thing as when the motor kill switch is engaged or when the kickstand is down? Possible that either of those two are triggering?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

kcoplan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 07:45:53 PM »

Hey DMW -- check out your kill switch.  I have been having similar problems in the past couple of days (in addition to Glitch 2.0) and discovered that my kill switch was halfway pressed down.  I usually ignore the kill switch, so it is easy to forget it even exists.  Also, with the kill switch problem, the blinking fault light came on, so it sounds like it could be your problem.  With Glitch 2.0, the fault light does not come on.

--Karl

BSDThw

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 11:54:19 PM »

I have to fasten the sidestand often because the screw becomes open!

If it is to lose maybe the "dry reed contact" switch off, so the warning light went on.

Unlikely but worth to check.

Air Drag Sucks - 2012 Zero DS ZF9 - 2013 Zero FX ZF5.7

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 04:04:55 AM »

My double-start glitch seems to have not been an issue recently as the temperature during the morning has been warming up.  I haven't had a problem for a couple of weeks now.  It used to require a double-boot in the morning almost every day before the throttle would function, but once the morning temperature increased to around 60 in my garage, the problem seems to be resolved - so far.   ???
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.
Pages: [1]