• April 26, 2024, 02:50:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1]

Author Topic: 2010 Zero-X with 2012 battery  (Read 2123 times)

zlagger

• View Profile
2010 Zero-X with 2012 battery
« on: June 23, 2013, 09:18:35 PM »

Hey guys. I just purchased a 2010 Zero X.  The battery was upgraded to the 2012 battery.

This is my first motor cycle & first Zero.  I love the first few rides I have had.  I see why people love them.

My question to you guys regards the charger. Why does the charger have three cables?  I am asking because I would like to use a smaller charger for traveling fill ups.  The factory charger is way to big to carry in my backpack.

I would like to use my Meanwell 48V charger.  It can be trimmed to 57-58V to match pack voltage.  Does anyone have any info or experience with anything like this?

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
Re: 2010 Zero-X with 2012 battery
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 10:42:29 PM »

I also use my meanwell RSP-1500 with my 2011 zero it is way more compact.

The tree wires from the cahrger input of the zero are negative, positive and trigger. that white or yellow  wire is to enable the charger current. when the battery can take current, that wire is tied to the negative. and this activate the current output of the zero delta Q charger.

on your meanwell you might also have a enable pin. it is called remote ON/OFF.  you have to have this pin working exactly like the one on the delta Q cahrger so when your motorcycle cahrger input white wire is conducting to the ground this should activate your meanwell power supply with the remote ON/Off but you will have to build a small circuit to have the logic right

Just like the image C on the page 3 of that document ;)   http://www.meanwell.com/search/RSP-1500/RSP-1500-spec.pdf

Doc
Zero Drag racing bike: 12.2s 1/4 mile and 7.3s 1/8 mile

T w i t t e r  :     http://twitter.com/DocbassMelancon

zlagger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 04:05:10 AM »

Hey Doc,

Thanks for the reply. I have bought torque arms from you on ES before.  I didn't know you had a Zero.  Now that I have actually searched the forum, I see you have a ton of info on it.  Very cool!

My Power Supply is a knock-off Mean Well and it doesn't have the trigger feature.  Can I connect positive & negative only... If I set it to 80% of pack voltage.  I'm not talking about charge and leave, but more a watched quick charge at work with nightly factory charging.

This is what I do with my e-bike.  I just watch an inline voltage/amp gauge till the amps fall to 0.05A.

If this is a bad idea, I can purchase a proper MW.

I also use my meanwell RSP-1500 with my 2011 zero it is way more compact.

The tree wires from the cahrger input of the zero are negative, positive and trigger. that white or yellow  wire is to enable the charger current. when the battery can take current, that wire is tied to the negative. and this activate the current output of the zero delta Q charger.

on your meanwell you might also have a enable pin. it is called remote ON/OFF.  you have to have this pin working exactly like the one on the delta Q cahrger so when your motorcycle cahrger input white wire is conducting to the ground this should activate your meanwell power supply with the remote ON/Off but you will have to build a small circuit to have the logic right

Just like the image C on the page 3 of that document ;)   http://www.meanwell.com/search/RSP-1500/RSP-1500-spec.pdf

Doc

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 04:41:37 AM »

The new meanwell RSP-2000-48 can go up to 56V but if you add a 5V DC-Dc in serie with it and connect the 5V output in serie  and readjust the trimpot to get 58V it should be ok.

These 2000W RSP cost 432$ and are really compact !!! these have the height of 1U.  it's like you can fit 2 of these for 4000W for 2/3 of the volume of a deltaQ 1000W charger!

I plan on buying some soom. mine are RSP-1000

they have the current limiting feature so no need to add one.

DOc

zlagger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 08:11:53 AM »

The 1000W RSP is a decent price, good size, and locally sourced.

So the zero battery will not take a charge without the signal circuit?

The new meanwell RSP-2000-48 can go up to 56V but if you add a 5V DC-Dc in serie with it and connect the 5V output in serie  and readjust the trimpot to get 58V it should be ok.

These 2000W RSP cost 432$ and are really compact !!! these have the height of 1U.  it's like you can fit 2 of these for 4000W for 2/3 of the volume of a deltaQ 1000W charger!

I plan on buying some soom. mine are RSP-1000

they have the current limiting feature so no need to add one.

DOc

Doctorbass

• Battery tech
    • View Profile
    • Endless-sphere.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 01:59:11 AM »

In fact YEs it will take cahrge but  the battery will not be protected from overcharge if one or more cell bank reach their max 4.2V.

Best is to have the charger that cut when the white wire on the charge connetor port of the motorcycle  become OPEN circuit.

This white wire is connected to the BMS and the BMS will tie it to the ground as long as the battery can take charge. and at the end of cahrge once one or more cell bank reach 4.2V, this connection become from closed circuit to open circuit.

I know that one the meanwell power supply you can  have a pin that require to be shorted to the ground to have power to the output. this can be used with the white wire and some connections, see the meanwell manual

Doc

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 04:19:06 AM »

Odd, first I've heard of fitting a 2012 battery in a pre-2012 bike. Should be very good though, EIG IMO are much better than the pre-2012 molicel. Perhaps not quite as power-dense.

Do you know if they used fewer cells in series - 14s2p - or if they tweaked the motor controller and charger?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

zlagger

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 04:30:15 AM »

Odd, first I've heard of fitting a 2012 battery in a pre-2012 bike. Should be very good though, EIG IMO are much better than the pre-2012 molicel. Perhaps not quite as power-dense.

Do you know if they used fewer cells in series - 14s2p - or if they tweaked the motor controller and charger?

I am looking into it.  The guy I got it from is friends with a few guys working a Zero...I live in Santa Cruz.
They did some custom mods for sure. I just need to find out the whole story.  It is a 58V pack though.

zlagger

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2013, 04:32:37 AM »

Thanks for clarifying Doc

In fact YEs it will take cahrge but  the battery will not be protected from overcharge if one or more cell bank reach their max 4.2V.

Best is to have the charger that cut when the white wire on the charge connetor port of the motorcycle  become OPEN circuit.

This white wire is connected to the BMS and the BMS will tie it to the ground as long as the battery can take charge. and at the end of cahrge once one or more cell bank reach 4.2V, this connection become from closed circuit to open circuit.

I know that one the meanwell power supply you can  have a pin that require to be shorted to the ground to have power to the output. this can be used with the white wire and some connections, see the meanwell manual

Doc

zlagger

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 11:56:31 PM »

Finally got the info on this...

Apparently the battery was rebuilt in 2012.  It is not the newer EIG cells unfortunately.  Oh well on the the next mod!  8)

I am looking into it.  The guy I got it from is friends with a few guys working a Zero...I live in Santa Cruz.
They did some custom mods for sure. I just need to find out the whole story.  It is a 58V pack though.
Pages: [1]