• March 29, 2024, 07:05:21 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Zero updates web store with more products.  (Read 7829 times)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
Zero updates web store with more products.
« on: June 18, 2013, 09:45:39 PM »

The accessory site has been updated, and divided into storage, comfort, power, performance, etc. categories. There are definitely more charging options listed now, an official RAM mount for the iPhone, more flexible luggage options, and even different belt and gear configurations. I also noticed some summer mesh gloves with touchscreen finger tips, which is an interesting choice (I use my phone while poking around town and this would save me the step of taking a glove off at the side of the street).
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Zero updates web store with more products.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 10:31:10 PM »

Nice.

They've dropped the price of their accessory 1 kW chargers slightly - I recall they went as high as $800, depending on model. Now it looks like every model is $600.

Socket kit for the J1772 adapter is a much cleaner installation. I'm still disappointed that Zero did not design a more powerful onboard charger for 2013.

They also have a couple different gearing options now.
1. Stock 132 rear, 28 front (4.71:1). 95 mph top speed, 321 ft-lb rear wheel torque.
2. Stock 132 rear, 25 front (5.28:1). 82-84 mph top speed, 359 ft-lb rear wheel torque (+12%).
3. 98 rear, stock 25 front (3.92:1). 107 mph top speed, 267 ft-lb rear wheel torque (-17%).

I think the 98 tooth rear sprocket will be a win for short circuit racers on tracks with corner speeds in the 50 to 70 mph range. It may also slightly improve highway range efficiency, at the cost of slower acceleration from a stop.

Heated seat is pretty nice. Between heated grips, heated seat, windscreen.. you could turn the Zero into a very comfortable 20F+ commuter.

Edit: missed that the 98 tooth rear sprocket also goes to a 25 tooth front sprocket.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 10:33:32 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 10:49:55 PM »

Brian,

Thank you for the post and the feedback on your installations so far.  It's been very helpful already, and it's a relief to finally have this stuff updated for everyone to enjoy.

Regards,
aaronzeromoto
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles
Director of Customer Experience

2018 Zero DSR + 6kW Charge Tank
2016 Zero FXS
2015 Zero DS + 2.5 kW Charge Tank
2014 Zero SR + Power Tank
2013 Zero DS ZF11.4, Zero FX ZF5.7 and Zero XU 2.8
2007 Yamaha V Star

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 11:47:30 PM »

Some of the accessoires are priced a lot higher in Euro's than normal rate conversion and VAT justify unfortunately.
Once you go EV, gas is history!

DesignerDan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 12:03:02 AM »

The sprocket kits: 10/10

Nice job Zero

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 12:32:29 AM »

KingCharles,

European prices also reflect import duties and additional shipping costs. Unfortunately, these costs are quite substantial in some cases.  We are working to source some items locally or have them shipped directly to Europe.  Send me a PM with those items you think cause the biggest concern so I can work on them first.

Regards,
aaronzeromoto
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles

2016 Zero FXS
2007 Yamaha V Star

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2013, 04:10:25 AM »

I'll duplicate my post about the new heated seat here as this seems to be the appropriate location:

Here is a link to the heated seat:  http://www.zeromotorcycles.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=15_2&products_id=183

I find this interesting, not because the seat is heated (I don't need that), but because the seat is made by Sargent and not Corbin.  I have a Sargent seat on my F650GS and love it.  It is very well made (as good, if not better than the stock BMW seat - and much better than any Corbin seat that I have owned) and much more comfortable than the stock seat. I just came back from a 1,750 mile ride on my BMW, to and around eastern Oregon, and the seat kept me happy.  The stock seat gives me a pain after about 2 hours.  Hopefully this Sargent seat will work as well for 2013 Zero owners.  If I had a 2013 model I would buy one.  The Sargent seat for my BMW set me back $450, so the Zero seat is a very good deal, especially for a low volume item and one that is heated.  (Try pricing a Corbin heated seat sometime.)   ::)
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 07:23:30 AM »

Thank you for the post and the feedback on your installations so far.  It's been very helpful already, and it's a relief to finally have this stuff updated for everyone to enjoy.

I'm glad to talk about Zero in public and tinker with the bike. I work for a software startup company so understand the need for an active user community to spread good information. With that in mind, I'll gladly avoid posting the equivalent of a PR notice to the forum if you'd rather do it officially. :)

motoxo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2013, 12:06:47 AM »

i have an xu. i have a little feedback to add, ... on the primary accessory page it gives the impression the top box is available for my model. when i go deeper i find out that is not the case. :(
2013 zero xu

vitaminC

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2013, 01:50:16 AM »

Will the electric gear have an appreciable effect on range? I love heated grips + hand guards  8)

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 02:27:42 AM »

Will the electric gear have an appreciable effect on range? I love heated grips + hand guards  8)

Since the headlamp would take (by my back of the napkin calculation) over a week to drain my 11.4's battery, I'll assume that the range impact is negligible (1 mile) at best. Most traditional motorcycle accessories draw a tiny amount of power compared to a 2013 Zero motor (hundreds of amps at much higher voltage).

Seriously, it's a 10kWh battery that can be used up in 90 minutes by the motor, and that's roughly 7kW compared to most heated grip requirements of what? 50 watts? Don't worry about it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:30:57 AM by BrianTRice »

aaronzeromoto

• View Profile
    • Zero Motorcycles
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 07:22:41 AM »

Hi Brian,

Please keep up the posting.  This is a user forum and not sponsored by Zero.  So I can't use it to advertise, but instead I participate as another user who happens to work for Zero.  I really appreciate your help.  You'll be interested to know that our lead accessory engineer, Zac, reads your posts carefully and is already making improvements based on your feedback.

Motoxo, we have corrected our mistake.  Sorry for the confusion.

vitaminC, I don't have a official or engineering approved number to give you (yet). But Brian's calculation looks pretty accurate to me. :) I can also say that I have used the heated grips on high multiple times during my commute and saw no noticeable change in range.

Regards,
Aaron
@aaronzeromoto
Zero Motorcycles

2016 Zero FXS
2007 Yamaha V Star

motoxo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 10:07:29 PM »

xo, we have corrected our mistake.  Sorry for the confusion.

thank you. responsive humility is an admirable trait. consider me a big fan (that is still looking for a more rigid storage solution.)

two thumbs up to zero motorcycles.

new accessories look great ... especially the cool leather jacket ... maybe someday after i get my full face helmet so people quit asking me so many questions at intersections.
2013 zero xu

trikester

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 10:34:02 PM »

Of course the mileage impact of other drains on the battery is proportional to the time used for the ride. Highway rides at higher sppeds will not utilize much time so the small w/h drain of lights or accessories will have only a very small effect on mileage.

On the other hand, on my dirt rides where my average speed may be in the range of 10 to 15 mph and the ride lasting 2 to 3 hours, just the headlight alone might make the difference between walking the last mile back or riding it. On my first two Zeros (2010 DS & 2012 DS) I installed Xenon headlamps which were on only on high beam on the switch and I would dirt ride with the light off.

On my 2013 FX I have disconnected the factory stock headlamp's low beam wire so I can turn it off for dirt riding. When I get back home from my trip I will install another switch to kill the headlamp so that I can still use low beam if riding at night in traffic.

Tikester

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2013, 02:27:02 AM »

... maybe someday after i get my full face helmet so people quit asking me so many questions at intersections.

I can say for sure that full face helmets do not stop the questions. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3