• April 24, 2024, 09:06:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Zero delivery on hold!  (Read 2945 times)

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
Re: Zero delivery on hold!
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2013, 05:24:33 AM »

Two words....
Mission R (well, one word and one letter)

Could you afford one of those?  I know I couldn't!

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2013, 05:40:08 AM »

Yes, but who would work on it? I think you would have to live near the factory or a dealer in California that would deal with it as problems arose. Service for me is a huge deal. That is why I have service contracts on my Gixxer and Zero. If something stops working, just make a phone call. I know diddly squat about electric motors, batteries, and controllers however, so there is a downside. Hey, I can change oil. Wait, the Zero doesn't have any oil. Nevermind.

lolachampcar

• View Profile
    • LolaChampcar
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2013, 06:25:15 AM »

my ability to afford it aside, I suggested it because it was a single speed electric motorcycle that really performs.  Think of it in the same vein as the Tesla Model S; it is a true performer at the top end of the spectrum.  It also lacks the cheap suspension bits which have been the source of the two problems I have had with my Zero (and the ridiculous brakes).

As for service, yep, I'm perfectly capable of dealing with the bike provided it is documented but I am probably in the minority so service will be a big issue for Mission.
Life is too short not to enjoy what you do each day.

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2013, 12:53:57 AM »

my ability to afford it aside, I suggested it because it was a single speed electric motorcycle that really performs.  Think of it in the same vein as the Tesla Model S; it is a true performer at the top end of the spectrum.  It also lacks the cheap suspension bits which have been the source of the two problems I have had with my Zero (and the ridiculous brakes).

As for service, yep, I'm perfectly capable of dealing with the bike provided it is documented but I am probably in the minority so service will be a big issue for Mission.

Its moreso parts and warrenty than service.  Lets say you phone up Mission and say hello, my motor is rattling and I need a new one.  With a dealer you take it to them, they hear the rattle and order a motor.  If there is no dealer you would have to send your motor back to mission which leaves you without a bike potentially for months. 

Interesting your comment about brakes, I rode a couple of 2013 bikes recently and was quite impressed by the brakes.  They aren't monoblock Brembo's but they worked well and had good feel.  Maybe you have a duff setup?  Admittedly the brakes on my own 2012 are terrible but 2013 seems fine.

Le Z Turbo

• 2013 DS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 01:23:32 PM »

Getting back to the initial subject: it would be nice to know which faults were at the origin of the bike delivery hold. Here in France I don't know if there will be some recall procedure as we are always the last to know......

JohnSki

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2013, 01:42:13 AM »

With regards to servicing the Mission R this article said "Getting one repaired is like fixing your Rolls-Royce. Send the company an SOS and they’ll come to you wherever you are, with the necessary parts and fix your bike. For free. "

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/rideapart-review-2014-mission-rs/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HellForLeather+%28Hell+For+Leather%29

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2013, 02:53:04 AM »

I have to admit, Mission's service promise sounds pretty appealing right about now.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

grindz145

• Rollin on E-
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2013, 03:10:16 AM »

I have to admit, Mission's service promise sounds pretty appealing right about now.

Is Zero helping out with your issues at all? I noticed in your log you're getting alot of glitches.

kingcharles

• 1st Empulse E1 owner in NL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 04:27:51 AM »

With regards to servicing the Mission R this article said "Getting one repaired is like fixing your Rolls-Royce. Send the company an SOS and they’ll come to you wherever you are, with the necessary parts and fix your bike. For free. "

http://rideapart.com/2013/08/rideapart-review-2014-mission-rs/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HellForLeather+%28Hell+For+Leather%29

This is how the Vectrix service was intended. But it was so expensive that it became one of the reasons for Vectrix to go chapter 11
Once you go EV, gas is history!

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 07:42:59 PM »

Its moreso parts and warrenty than service.  Lets say you phone up Mission and say hello, my motor is rattling and I need a new one.  With a dealer you take it to them, they hear the rattle and order a motor.  If there is no dealer you would have to send your motor back to mission which leaves you without a bike potentially for months. 

Interesting your comment about brakes, I rode a couple of 2013 bikes recently and was quite impressed by the brakes.  They aren't monoblock Brembo's but they worked well and had good feel.  Maybe you have a duff setup?  Admittedly the brakes on my own 2012 are terrible but 2013 seems fine.

Lola and I have gone back and forth about the brakes. I've asked for specific complaints and he hasn't come up with any. I can do one finger stoppies on my '12 DS ZF9, they modulate very well and despite trying to make them fade, they don't. Not sure exactly what more you could want. Lola wants the Brembo name on them, despite the fact that that wouldn't make them work any better, but they'd sure look better  ::)

IMHO running down the brakes without specifics, especially in the face of testimony that they work great, does a real disservice to the brand. What is ridiculous here is not the brakes, but Lola's complaints.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 07:47:15 PM by nicktulloh »

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 11:06:32 PM »

Alternatively it could be that there is variability in how well the individual braking systems work. Yours may work fine for your needs, but there could have been something wrong with lola's brakes.

@grind the bike is at a dealer now for servicing, and has been for going on two months now. They've shipped the motor back to replace the encoder .. which has taken far longer than it should.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

grindz145

• Rollin on E-
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2013, 09:01:38 AM »

Thanks for the update, Hoping you get that back soon. I wonder if the issue is due to the open-frame design of the motor and the encoder being subjected to environmental conditions? I'm sure the module itself is sealed anyway though so it really shouldn't matter.
Pages: 1 [2]