• April 27, 2024, 01:46:09 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Electric Motorcycle Forum is live!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Would buy ZERO if only they had ABS. Am I an idiot?  (Read 4146 times)

PaulAtkinson

• View Profile
Would buy ZERO if only they had ABS. Am I an idiot?
« on: June 07, 2013, 12:21:02 AM »

I am SO ready to buy a motorcycle for commuting to work and running errands here in San Francisco. I used to have a BMW F650 CS with ABS (from 2005-2008), and now I am using a 2005 Vespa ET4 that my partner abandoned. I have tested the S, DS, and XU, and I loved them all (favoring the S).

My "deal breaker" is the lack of ABS. I had it (and engaged it) on my BMW a few times. With fog and slippery road stripes/train tracks, plus crazy SF drivers ... I can't imagine getting a new bike without ABS. I really don't want to wait another 2-1/2 years for this on a ZERO.

How did recent ZERO purchasers get past this? Or, I am giving ABS way too much weight in this purchase decision?

- Paul

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Would buy ZERO if only they had ABS. Am I an idiot?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 12:59:14 AM »

I think ABS is a pretty huge safety improvement. Important to distinguish between "safer" and "safe" .. even if ABS works perfectly, you're still limited by available traction in a stop. In treacherous conditions, I think riding carefully without ABS is perhaps safer than riding foolishly with ABS .. but far better still is riding carefully with ABS.

If safety was all that mattered, of course, we'd ride in cars. So there's some degree of acceptable risk in riding a bike.. it can be partly mitigated through not drinking before riding, giving yourself plenty of stopping distance, not riding faster / farther than you can see and conditions permit.. but only partly.

Your degree of tolerance for risk is up to you and noone else.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

spelunker

• View Profile
Would buy ZERO if only they had ABS. Am I an idiot?
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 01:00:47 AM »

I was always under the impression that heavier bikes benefited from ABS while lighter bikes were hindered by having ABS.

benswing

• 2016 Zero SR Cross Country Biker, www.Benswing.com
    • View Profile
    • Follow my electric motorcycle adventures on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 01:37:52 AM »

I appreciate your concern for safety, and agree with the ABS being a perhaps more important for larger bikes.  As for crazy drivers, I ride up and down NYC a few times a week and feel safe thanks to the agility of the my Zero. 

Your riding habits make the bike safe, ABS can make it a bit safer in certain conditions. 
First to 48 states all electric!
 - Long Range Electric Biker - https://www.facebook.com/BenRidesElectric/
 - Video/photo/articles about 4 corners tour: http://www.benswing.com
 - Crossed the USA in 2013 on a 2012 Zero S with the Ride the Future Tour, see the movie at https://vimeo.com/169002549

Crawling Finn

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 01:41:50 AM »

CS type bike has proportionally less weight on front wheel making it easier to lock up then on streetfighter. Surely you would be fine with Zero S without ABS, especially with some decent tyres. Go for it!

protomech

• View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 01:55:54 AM »

I will say that the Zero is very controllable in the rain; no gearbox to fuss with lets you focus on keeping the rubber side down. In 10k miles I've only locked either wheel up once or twice and was able to recover both times; but I've been able to avoid having to hard panic stop in rain where ABS would really help.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrianTRice@gmail.com

• Unofficial Zero Manual Editor
  • Nerdy Adventurer
    • View Profile
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 02:34:01 AM »

I've locked up the rear wheel twice while braking and have fishtailed due to traction loss in an oily-surface rain condition. But I also own a heavier bike with ABS (V-Strom). Not having ABS is balanced by the bike being very low center-of-mass and lightweight and easier to control.
Current: 2020 DSR, 2012 Suzuki V-Strom
Former: 2016 DSR, 2013 DS

nicktulloh

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 02:54:00 AM »

You're not an idiot, you're just making a choice. That said, to me ABS is an unneeded complexity. I have ABS on my Tiger and have activated it a few times to see if it works and what it will do. It's interesting but IMHO totally unnecessary.

You would be far better served spending the money on better tires, suspension, training etc.

Traction and launch control will filter down to street bikes soon and we'll be having the same discussion about them.

Richard230

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 03:58:27 AM »

I had to special order my 2009 BMW F650 GS in order to not get ABS.  I just don't think I need it.  I have it on my 2007 R1200R and it has never been activated.  Plus, changing the brake fluid in an ABS system is not an easy task for the home mechanic.  I can change the brake fluid in both of my brakes within 30 minutes, but changing the fluid in my R-bike requires specialized computerized equipment that costs me $150 at the dealer every two years.

Having said that, pretty soon I won't have a choice about buying a bike without ABS:

The June issue of Motorcycle Consumer News contains a news item regarding the new EU ABS requirement legislation.  As of January 1, 2016 it will be mandatory to fit an antilock braking system to all motorcycles with an engine displacement greater than 125cc.  (There is no mention of electric motorcycles, but you can bet that they will fall into that category.)  Smaller motorcycles with displacements between 50cc or more will be required to have either ABS or a combined brake system, mechanically linking the front and rear brakes.

The way I interpret the article it sounds to me like home-built motorcycles licensed for the road after 2017 would be required to be equipped with ABS systems.

According to a study funded by Bosch (a major supplier of ABS components), "standard-fit ABS can prevent more than one-quarter of all motorcycle accidents with personal injuries".  Since 2010 Bosch has been manufacturing the worlds lightest ABS system designed for use on motorcycles.

This "Generation 9" ABS system is offered in several variations for use on production motorcycles.  ABS 9 Light, due to be launched this year, is the entry-level version.  It ensures the antilock braking control of the front wheel, making it suited to low-cost motorcycles which have only one hydraulic brake channel (such as bikes with a mechanically operated rear drum brake).  The Bosch program also includes the ABS 9 Base, which offers ABS functionality on both wheels, the ABS 9 Plus and the ABS 9 Enhanced, with additional eCBS (electronic combined brake system - I think) function.  This system automatically activates the second brake, without any need to operate the brake lever.

Bosch also is introducing a combined ABS and traction control system that will function even when cornering. This MSC system requires the new Bosch SU-MM5.10 lean-angle sensor to be installed on the motorcycle.

Needless to say, you can expect Zero to have an ABS system as standard by at least the 2016 model year, as Euro sales no doubt loom large in their marketing plans.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 04:25:20 AM by Richard230 »
Richard's motorcycle collection:  2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2020 KTM 390 Duke, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

PaulAtkinson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 04:57:17 AM »

Thanks for the insightful perspectives, everyone. I am a conservative, urban-only rider and almost never ride in the rain. I guess I can always upgrade to a new bike with ABS in a few years, and in the meantime I can hone my riding skills and focus on preventive riding, in hopes that my defensive riding and emergency braking skills will keep me out of trouble! Now, I just need to get this one past the CFO at home!!

dkw12002

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 04:58:16 AM »

Most likely we'll see it in 2014 along with some other electronic goodies. Probably not wheelie control though and definitely not a slipper clutch. On ICE bikes it adds some weight too which is one reason many don't like ABS. I've never had it on any bike including my Gixxer 1000 and Triumph Street Triple r, so obviously it has not been a pre-requisite for me.

Marshm

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 05:04:00 AM »

Not too long ago on this forum the ABS topic also came up and someone posted a video of braking on a wet surface with and without ABS.  When I saw that bike brake and the front tire washed out it almost made me sick.  What a bad feeling.  I so hate when that happens.  That makes me want ABS. 

I have never had ABS on a bike, but on my truck it does not help much.  When it goes off, if it prevented me from sliding sideways then maybe it did help.  You don't know what would have happened without it though, except for the fact that the last truck I had did not have ABS and I never lost control.  Downhill in snow if I keep the brakes applied, the ABS will not stop me fast enough.  When they come on, I have to pump the brakes to get ABS to stop working and let me ontrol the stop.  I used to travel a steep downhill corner that I would have blown through if I let ABS do the work.  Did it prevent me from slipping sideways when I first hit the brakes?  I'll never know. 

On a truck, if I slip sideways a little it is not a big deal because a truck doesn't fall over.  That bike video was a good advertisement because it showed the tire slipped and the bike fell over so quick the rider had no chance to correct it.  It lost traction it seemed at the beginning of braking.  So if ABS can prevent that, it looks good.  Are there also functional drawbacks? 

Personally I like the reverse trike concept.  Thats better than ABS.  I am surprised there are not more.  The only ones I know of are that scooter and the CanAm spyder.  None are dual sport or adventure style, just street.  Some one needs to make a dual sport trike.  Trikester had to make his own.  That is a pretty good accomplishment, I am impressed and slightly jealous. 

vitaminC

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 08:38:15 AM »

I have never had ABS on a bike, but on my truck it does not help much.  When it goes off, if it prevented me from sliding sideways then maybe it did help.  You don't know what would have happened without it though, except for the fact that the last truck I had did not have ABS and I never lost control.  Downhill in snow if I keep the brakes applied, the ABS will not stop me fast enough.  When they come on, I have to pump the brakes to get ABS to stop working and let me ontrol the stop.  I used to travel a steep downhill corner that I would have blown through if I let ABS do the work.  Did it prevent me from slipping sideways when I first hit the brakes?  I'll never know. 

ABS is not designed to work in snow, dirt, gravel or other off-road situations, and as you pointed out it can be a real hindrance there. Most dual-sport motorcycles have switchable ABS just for this scenario.

On a car or bike on "normal" roads, however, it will save your bacon. In an emergency situation most people just slam on (or grab) the brakes and hope, and ABS lets you slow down in a controlled manner, even retaining the ability to steer if needed.

Lots of people feel they're "better" than ABS, and it may be true under controlled situations. However, out in the real world, if I have to stop quickly for whatever reason, I sure hope the guy behind me has it :)

WindRider

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 10:02:39 AM »

I prefer no ABS.  I ride a lot of dirt. 

If you feel that ABS is critical for you though then you should look at other bikes today and Zero again in a couple more years. 
2008 Yamaha WR250R 
Past E Bikes:  2010 Zero XU, 2012 Zero DS9, 2013 FX5.7

NoiseBoy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 11:08:48 PM »

Not too long ago on this forum the ABS topic also came up and someone posted a video of braking on a wet surface with and without ABS.  When I saw that bike brake and the front tire washed out it almost made me sick.  What a bad feeling.  I so hate when that happens.  That makes me want ABS. 

That video sounds ridiclous,  it doesn't lock if you brake properly by shifting weight forward before braking hard.  I could stop my KTM pretty damn quick even in the wet.  I would still like to have ABS though, just for those foggy crap days when you have had a really tough day at work and not paying full attention on the ride home in the dark.   It wouldn't put me off getting a 2013 Zero though that's for sure.  Besides the Zero brakes are so soft you would have to really go some to have a bad lockup.
Pages: [1] 2